Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee
ANYONE that knows walnut knows exactly what the wood is from the photo. I doubt you could get it in a hundred guesses... and every attempt would be a guess for you. And further I never once said American walnuts are unsuitable for making stocks.

You are getting more pathetic by the minute...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I see you're not going to hazard a guess. LOL!

You've been real careful not to post any assertions of fact, since your first posts where you didn't understand quarter sawing.

It is pathetic that I would waste my time playing jousting with you.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would not stock a gun in any other than quarter sawn wood, It is the most stable wood to be had and any stock maker knows that. That is why it is so damned expensive.

Sounds like a lot of furniture makers are tossing around their expertise on this subject and they best had go on a furniture making sight as opposed to gunstock building.

..The ignorance of some on this subject is beyond imagination and the flaming is rude and without presidence...As a matter of fact the one that has made the most since on the subject, as to gun stock wood is Lee 24, I don't know him or from whence he came, but most of what he said in the begining of this thread is correct. I have not bothered with the rest of the dribble as it got out of hand IMO... I don't see why the attack on him...especially the reasoning behind those attacks, the replys are of no value and don't even make since to a gun stock maker.

I really don't give a damn how many stocks one can get out of tree by slab sawing it, the best stock money is quarter sawn wood, check your prices from some of the real wood dealers around,and not the simi inlet boys that sell the cheap stuff..Besides the best money is not in stocks it is in veneer, furniture, and flooring. end of story.

Slab sawed Marble Cake is pretty, warm and cozy stuff no doubt about that and suitable for two peice stocks I suppose, but in my opinnion it is better described as clown wood, it is prone to warpage, cracking, splitting, and crazeing a finish, it is subject to breakage from the recoil of heavy big bores..It is the fashion plate of the closet queen gunners...

As to the rest of the stuff posted here I have no dog in the fight, don't know the parties involved, just stating my views on the wood and the posts concering that wood, something I know a thing or three about at least when it comes to stocking a rifle, and many which I have sold on this forum, and from being a Turkish and European gunstock wood dealer from time to time, when the economy is right and will again when I think there is enough market for me to buy a few pallets of the stuff from my turkish buddies if they are still alive and have not been shot by the Russians for stealing wood out of Russia.

Last edited by atkinson; 10/07/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson
I would not stock a gun in any other than quarter sawn wood, It is the most stable wood to be had and any stock maker knows that. That is why it is so damned expensive.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you on that point. Now, I'm not a stock maker but (just) a reasonably talented amateur woodworker and as I pointed out in my one post, 1/4 sawing is by far the most expensive and wasteful way to cut a log but the finished product is worth it. Lee seems to believe it is the most efficient way to cut a log. As you've pointed out as well, he is wrong.

Why do we continue to pile onto Lee for every stupid thing he says? It's because at some point here he will say something stupid and dangerous and when someone follows that advice they're going to get hurt. I personally would feel bad if I did not try and set the record straight before that happened.

Lee has continued to post drivel and not back it up with evidence that he knows what he's talking about and I will continue to peek in occasionally and when I have knowledge about a particular topic I will continue to correct him for the reasons above.

I stand by my post.

Allen

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Plain sawing is "most efficient" for getting the most LUMBER from a log to sell. The lumber yard wants to produce board feet of lumber, usually for flooring, at best. If you plain saw a log for gunstocks, you only have the few boards in the middle with desirable grain and figure.

Quarter sawing gets the most amount of usable wood with the right grain and figure, and more of it will be of the same orientation.

Radial sawing cuts wood at a consistent radial orientation, but wastes the wedge piece of scrap between each board, and requires a circular saw, which cuts a wider kerf, turning more of your valuable wood into sawdust.

Go look at the pictures I posted again and try to understand. Better yet, go to a saw mill and see it in action. Best yet, try it yourself, then come back and talk about it AFTER you've done it.

While we're at it Pugs, what is your actual experience with:
* growing hardwoods?
* logging?
* sawing logs?
* seasoning and curing wood?
* laying out wood for furniture or gun stocks?
* building gun stocks?

I won't bother to ask about your experience in the other aspects of my career you claim to be capable of judging, like engineering, machine design and controls, advanced manufacturing, etc.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Photos of wood cut on my first generation CNC machine, installed 1985.

43/45
http://www.aldenyachts.com/new_sail/ay45/Gallery/AY45R2.htm

Deck
http://www.aldenyachts.com/new_sail/ay45/Gallery/AY45CP.htm
Interior photos
http://www.aldenyachts.com/new_sail/ay45/Gallery/AY45SL.htm

http://www.aldenyachts.com/new_sail/ay45/Gallery/AY45NV.htm

http://www.aldenyachts.com/new_sail/ay45/Gallery/AY45S2.htm

That machine tool company is under new ownership, and I am sure they have upgraded high volume customers like this to the current machines.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice pictures...unfortunately no provenance...just pretty pictures

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee photo's from a website that Lee claims as his own. I never would have thought it crazy

Originally Posted by Lee24

While we're at it Pugs, what is your actual experience with:
* growing hardwoods?
* logging?
* sawing logs?
* seasoning and curing wood?
* laying out wood for furniture or gun stocks?
* building gun stocks?

I won't bother to ask about your experience in the other aspects of my career you claim to be capable of judging, like engineering, machine design and controls, advanced manufacturing, etc.

I'm sure you've seen pictures of our place in SE KY? Here's one. The property to the top of Chestnut Oak Mountain is ours.
[Linked Image]
Yea, we grow some timber there as you might suspect and yes we cut it. In fact I'll be down there taking down a couple hickories and one Oak this weekend. I'll take pictures (you do know about taking pictures of your own work don't you Lee?)

I've helped saw logs with a woodmizer owned by a family friend down there as well so I'm pretty familiar with the process although by no means an expert. But a significant chunk of wood has been stickered and stacked in the barn and my garage for a while. I've also helped my uncle build a solar kiln but have no experience with the end product, nor have I claimed to have them.

Laying out wood for furniture? Plenty of experience. Here's a picture of the 1/4 sawn White Oak rocker I built for my wife last year.(ignore the ball in the corner Finn never seems to uput her toys away) Plenty of campfire members have been to my home and seen my shop and work yet you seem to not have that. I wonder why (well, not really)
[Linked Image]

No experience at all with making gunstocks NOR HAVE I CLAIMED ANY (moron) But I do know wood and have worked with it for more than 25 years.

As far as my engineering credibility go ahead and google US Patent 7428754 how about you post one of your "patents" Lee? I have extensive experience engineering IT, antenna and signal processing. I have not claimed to have invented manufacturing machines or control systems. Again, my experience is verifiable by numerous people here.

Yours? Not so much. In fact, not at all. So, I'm going off to read a bit before bed and you go ahead and claim extensive experience in something else and be sure and post some more pictures from companies website or a museum and claim the stuff as your own. Also be sure your mom gives you your evening cocoa so you won't have bad dreams before she tucks you in.

By the way, time to change the subject again you wily bogey you.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very good. So you've at least been around wood enough to know that I know more about it than you do. That's a lot more than some of my other critics, and you were almost polite.

My great grandfather used to build that Stickley style of furniture. It's a lot of work to just build one rocking chair like that.

Someday, in another thread, I might tell you about an automated system I developed for measuring various antenna signals in order for the engineers to relocate existing ones an locate new cellular, microwave and other radio/telephone antennas when upgrading a wide area or densely packed mixed signal environment. You might find that interesting.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, LRF, you could have posted those pictures, too, if you knew what an Alden Yacht was, and that they cut all that interior wood on a 3-axis CNC machine. I knew that, because I sold them their first CNC machine. I could post a lot more pictures of machines I designed and installed, making all kinds of things, and tell you how it was programmed, etc. But if you are in denial, nothing will persuade you of the truth.

I could post a video of myself in a Campfire t-shirt with a CNC machine under construction and some of these folks would still claim it was some kind of trick or magic. Their kind used to burn astronomers and chemists at the stake back in the old days.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I could post a video of myself in a Campfire t-shirt with a CNC machine under construction and some of these folks would still claim it was some kind of trick or magic. Their kind used to burn astronomers and chemists at the stake back in the old days.

i doubt your capable of such a simple feat......you couldnt produce a simple pic of the 375 now could you?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I could post a lot more pictures of machines I designed and installed, making all kinds of things, and tell you how it was programmed, etc. But if you are in denial, nothing will persuade you of the truth.

but you can't answer my questions???

or won't?

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lee
You miss understand...I have formed no opinion about anything posted here or you, I just stated a fact, no provenance.
I would have interest in seeing your pictures of your work.
As for boats, I have no interest at all.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I stumbled upon this by accident a minute ago. It was too good not to share:

Remington is owned by the same investment banking firm which owns things like Chrysler. Does that help explain things?

And Tom264, Remington doesn't, to my knowledge, use any of my CNC technology. They do use a chemical vapor deposition machine which I helped design to apply their "TriNyte" finish to the XCR rifles.

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll save him some grief and say he just mis-spoke about working for Remington.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is where you simply have to throw up your hands.........

This guy has done it all. No subject or profession left untouched.

Not one single picture of him in it with anything remotely resembling anything he claims to be a professional at, but that hasn't slown him down.

It's pretty sick to think that this guy could be living next to you, or be in the general vicinity of your kids.

A mind this warped has more on the plate than we'll ever know, and I'm thankful for not knowing the whole entree, truly thankful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking the plate is a few fries short of a happy meal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I didn't "work for Remington". I worked as a consultant to a company which developed the machinery and process used by Remington, who simply purchased the machinery to coat the XCR rifles.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
LRF, I was thinking of posting a photo of the interior restoration of a 53-foot Trumpy motor yacht, but you confirmed that would mean nothing to you.

wmeek, I answer you in the competition forum. If you are a consistent 97% shooter in some event, I might find it worthwhile to discuss it. Otherwise...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matt, if I work for FedEx and deliver goods to you, which in turn, are used to make TG assemblies, can I tell folks that I helped make Williams Firearms the company that it is today?

Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.