Print Thread
Hop To
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The latest Midway sales circular has .22 cal jsp Dogtown bullets for less than $60.00 per 500, not including shipping. Its my understanding that Nosler is the manufacturer. Has any here had experience in loading and shooting these bullets? Are they accurate? How do they perform on varmints? Any other comments?

Thnks in advace for any comments.

Roundup

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't say anything good about the 50 grain Dogtowns, they were pitiful in six different rifles we tried them in, you could often get three bullets into one hole, but the next two went to Hell in a jet airplane. No, it wasn't technique, or me. It was across the board, in six different rifles, with proven powders/primers.

I didn't try any of the 55s, though, maybe they are better. Doesn't matter to me, I won't buy them again. The .20 caliber bullets are somewhat better, some diligence DID finally come up with a useable load for them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ratsmacker:

Thanks for the reply. When something seems to be too good to be true...etc.

Roundup

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought mine for $37.95/500, even at that price, they weren't a bargain. I think I'd look at Midsouth's Varmint Nightmare bullets, made by Hornady, and save some coin. I seldom have a complaint with Hornady's bullets.

Midsouth also sells the same bullets as Midway, called Varmint Nightmare Extremes, same bullet, less pricey........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Midsouth has two types, and apparently three different sources. The 55gr Varmint Nightmare w/cannelure appears to be a Hornady bullet (ogive shape), whereas the Varmint Extreme line (no cannelure) are a Sierra profile.
Then the .20 and .17's are reported to be by Nosler (not sure who knows this for sure).
I have used the 50 and 55 gr Extreme with great success, and the price is hard to beat. I also have bought the .17 and .20 pills, and just started loading them. The 17's shot well out of my 17AH.
Midsouth's normal price usually beats Midway's "sale" price by a significant margin.

Greg

NRA/TSRA Life
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mulerider, I have a buddy in Oregon who's wife works for Nosler, and I found out that Nosler makes all the Midsouth's Extremes and Midway's Dogtown bullets. They are the same bullets, according to Rick's wife.
I've had pretty fair luck with Benchmark and the .20 34HPs, they won't hang with the poly-tipped bullets in .204, but they do plenty well enough for 300 yard PD shooting, and cost a lot less. I was really disappointed in the Dogtown 50s, but the 34s have been pretty fair. I don't have a centerfire .17, so I haven't tried the newest bullets.

Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
As per usual everybody's experiance is different. Just bought some of the dogtown bullets and yes they are the same as Mid South's 50 gr extreme bullets which I bought and tried earlier this year. Both shot very well for me. Their design leaves something to be desired for balistic coefficent so I leaned on them pretty hard to make up for it a little with speed. With a healty dose of BenchMark and shot in a very accurate Rem 700 five 5 shot groups ran the gamut from 3/8's in. to 5/8's in. groups with no abnomal flyers that weren't called by me. In a Howa varmint charged with TAC powder groups ran up to an inch but I expected that in that rifle. Enough of them hung in the 5/8's range that I will use that combo for rock chucks and other moderate sized vermin. If the price remains low I will probably buy them again when the nearly 4000 I have are gone.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good info here, anyone want to input some splat factor impressions?

HM

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Mulerider, I have a buddy in Oregon who's wife works for Nosler, and I found out that Nosler makes all the Midsouth's Extremes and Midway's Dogtown bullets. They are the same bullets, according to Rick's wife.

I have read somewhat the same info, but am most skeptical on the 55gr w/cannelure. Its secant ogive (spire point)sure looks like Hornady lineage, and when compared to some Hornady's I have, it was a dead match.
I'm just glad they are all (typically) available, at good prices.

Greg

NRA/TSRA Life
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wasn't talking about the cannelured Varmint Nightmares, they are definitely Hornady's bullets, the non-cannelured VN Extremes are the Nosler brand bullets.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ratsmacker: I read too fast, you did mention only the Nightmare "Extremes". Good to know...I hope Nosler stays as a supplier.

NRA/TSRA Life
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My father-in-law shot a groundhog his .223 AR-15 M4 carbine using the 55 gr Dogtowns with some RL-15 loaded behind them. The results were impressive as it gutted the groundhog and left entrails four ft. away. They work well but aren't a VMAX.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have been looking into too both types of "bargain" bullets. I have a .204 that seems to have a lot of potential. The first load I tired (34g Vmax, starting load of H335, OAL right out of the book) will put 5 rounds in 1/2" at 100y. Or at least it did it 3 or 4 times. It is very clear that I am the weak link in the rifle-ammo-shooter tripod.

I need a lot of trigger time and until I can make up my mind on a .22 I want a way to get more trigger time in but for less then the V-maxs cost me.

If they are the close to the same that would be great.

H
H
so out the different types which would yall recommend for a .223 thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They worked pretty good for me after I sorted them by weight. Ya, that was fun, but there was a pretty extream spread in 500 bullets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used all of Mid South's 22 caliber bullets and their 17 caliber when available..

all have been very accurate in both my 223s and 22.250s..
you might have to adjust your charge from your other favorite bullet..but they are a bargain in ratio to the other non bulk bullets..

the price of bullets shouldn't be this high as the price of the metals dropped dramatically... however all the bullet making companies are cleaning up right now, big time!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.