Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mule Deer, What was the nature of the bedding problems with the late NH rifles? Is there an easy fix for the problem? I have a .270 WSM that needs something. It seems to print two separate groups with several different loads and one 6" group with other loads.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Greg: Congrats on the pronghorn...that is a really good buck. I'm glad to see the new M70's are doing so well for so many people.I like mine!

Someone recently wrote that if the people at FN can satisfy government standards.they are gonna be able to keep us pretty happy!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an Extreme Weather in 300 WSM the other day. I took it to a local range with 4 boxes of factory ammo. I had Winchester XP3 180gr, Winchester E-Tip 180gr, Federal Accubond 180gr and Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 165gr.

The E-Tip load and XP3 didn't didn't seem to want to shoot, but the groups were not strung. Triangles, but 1 3/4 to 2 inch triangles. The Trophy Bonded 165gr load got me thinking happy thoughts with the first group when it printed two shots one on top of the other. Then, the third shot went 1 1/2 inches low. Two more groups later, no other bullets were tightly grouped. 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. The 180gr Accubond load fired a 5-shot group into 1 1/4 inches. I'm not sure if it was me, but I would fire two shots touching and the next two shots 1 inch away and touching.

I'm not super excited with the groups so far, but I'm not going to get too upset until after I try handloads and a more comfortable bench. I was at a new range and could not get comfortable. That might have had a lot to do with it.

The trigger on mine is super heavy. I took it apart and there was a lot of goop covering the trigger pull-weight screw and the overtravel screw. I spent some time scraping the goop off and picking it out of the screw heads. Then found out that I didn't have a 1/16 allen head, so the tinkering stopped. I did notice that the trigger pull-weight screw seemed to be screwed in a lot further than the overtravel screw. After putting the gun back together, I could stick my finger into the trigger guard with the entire weight of the rifle and the trigger would still not break.

Last edited by Dan360; 10/07/09.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dan: The 300 WSM I played with a bit showed a prefernce for certain factory ammo, too,but shot very well with what it "liked".I find this to be pretty common with rifles that are well bedded and they show a preference.This is unlike my 270 which has shot everything well so far.

Your trigger does seem heavy.....have not seen that with any myself so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Notropis
Mule Deer, What was the nature of the bedding problems with the late NH rifles? Is there an easy fix for the problem? I have a .270 WSM that needs something. It seems to print two separate groups with several different loads and one 6" group with other loads.

You have serious problems. I had one so wild, like yours, I simply could not believe the size of the groups. The scope was tested on another rifle. It appears to be a bedding problem or loose scope or bases.

I bedded it at the forend, putting a lot of upward pressure there, not simply a neutral pad. It started shooting everything under 1.75, but several loads now consistently are under .5 MOA. It was difficult to believe that barrel harmonics were causing 6" grouups with some loads, but it happened and it was a light contoured barrel. It took a lot of experimenting with pressures and different reloads to get there.

If you can't resolve this, you are owed a refund for sure.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Can any of you guys offer a comparison of general quality and accuracy for the older Winlite PF rifles vs. the new SC Featherweight rifles? Thanks, Rooster

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Slasher, I took it out of the stock last night and noticed a shiny patch on the inside of the forend and that the action would slide front to rear in the stock. They didn't put any shoo-goo in this one. I free floated the barrel and will try again it next week. I will try shoo-goo and some shims if that does not work.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jim62
Don,

It's good to hear that the wait was worth it!

Have you run any of the 140g slug loads over a Chrono??

I have been thinking about a 7mm-08 featherweight...

Just curious about the speed from a 22 in tube..

Jim,

Just saw your posting.. Sorry about the delay getting back to you.
I'm not using a Chrony, although I have one. But, whatever 45 grains of H-414, and Federal 210 primers with the 140 grain Partition delivers for velocity, it what it is.
The other load that shoots well is the 100 grain Sierra HP, and 42.0 grains of Varget, along with the Fed 210's. Three shots into 1/2" groups for both loads, at 100 yards.

Take care,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
BobinNH,
not too much of a side-track, but what scope did you put on your 270fw? (figured a question faster than search function)
thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Dan: The 300 WSM I played with a bit showed a prefernce for certain factory ammo, too,but shot very well with what it "liked".I find this to be pretty common with rifles that are well bedded and they show a preference.This is unlike my 270 which has shot everything well so far.

Your trigger does seem heavy.....have not seen that with any myself so far.

I'm thinking the issues I'm having with mine aren't full-fledged "problems" yet. I picked up a set of itty-bitty allen heads last night. I'll try to adjust the trigger tonight. I'll then put it back together and check all the screws and then see what happens.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have found the USRAC Model 70's sometimes had bedding problems and required that a small Accraglass land about 1/4 inch wide and 0.050 inches high be cast between two 0.050 thick plastic shims. This should be done in the stock's fore-end tip barrel channel not more than 3/8th inch back from the tip.

Make sure that the shims and barrel are coated with release agent and remove the shims after hardening and trim the edges of the Accraglass land with a razor. This bedding method will often cure stock bedding issues and will tighten up groups.

I have done the treatment on three Featherweight and two Sporter, USRAC Model 70's and it improved grouping and group consistency on all of these rifles.

CDR3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wmeek
BobinNH,
not too much of a side-track, but what scope did you put on your 270fw? (figured a question faster than search function)
thanks.

wmeek: I have a 4X Zeiss Conquest on my FN 270;the 300 WSM belongs to a buddy,and it has a 2.5-8 Leup VX III.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dan: The 165 Fusion shot well right away from the 300 WSM; the tipped TBBC did not do so well.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I have found the USRAC Model 70's sometimes had bedding problems

My FN Model 70 was glass bedded at the lug when I received it new.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by jim62
Don,

It's good to hear that the wait was worth it!

Have you run any of the 140g slug loads over a Chrono??

I have been thinking about a 7mm-08 featherweight...

Just curious about the speed from a 22 in tube..

Jim,

Just saw your posting.. Sorry about the delay getting back to you.
I'm not using a Chrony, although I have one. But, whatever 45 grains of H-414, and Federal 210 primers with the 140 grain Partition delivers for velocity, it what it is.
The other load that shoots well is the 100 grain Sierra HP, and 42.0 grains of Varget, along with the Fed 210's. Three shots into 1/2" groups for both loads, at 100 yards.

Take care,

Don

Thanks for the reply..

Most of my load developement is done by the "H.I.T"(holes in the target) method, too.LOL

Accuracy is my first priority as well. All the speed in the world don't mean a thing if it is not put in the right place..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
wmeek: I have a 4X Zeiss Conquest on my FN 270;the 300 WSM belongs to a buddy,and it has a 2.5-8 Leup VX III.

BobinNH,
thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan: The 165 Fusion shot well right away from the 300 WSM; the tipped TBBC did not do so well.

I took the rifle out of its stock and cleaned up some things. There was some fiberglass that had been pushed into the barrel channel from where the sling stud had been drilled in. I scraped the goop off of the trigger adjustment screws but haven't fooled too much with that yet. I took some Federal 165gr Barnes TSX loads and 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loads out and was amazed that each load would print tight cloverleafs at 100. Moving out to 200, groups stayed within 2 inches without a problem. I'm thinking that this rifle has some potential now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dan: There ya go!Do you hand load?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do handload. I'm going against my better judgement and will be using this rifle for next week's mule deer hunt. I don't normally buy a rifle two weeks prior to hunting season and then actually use it.

However, I am very familiar with Winchester M70s in function and have been able to put 120 rounds through it over the last few days. I've shot it out to 300 yards from field positions, so that will be my limit. I don't know what kind of groups I'm getting, but I'm having no problem keeping 5 of 5 shots on a 10 inch steel plate at 300. That should be minute of deer.

This winter, I'll be doing the load development for the rifle. I picked up some RL17 and Magpro. I have H4350, RL19, H4831 and RL22. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a deer with the TSX. I've never used them before and am interested to see what the hububs about.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My go to load for my .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt Medalion is 69 grains of IMR 4350 with the Nosler 165 Partition, W-W cases and Fed 215 primers. This load is maximum and should be worked up to from 10% below. In my rifle, it shoots consistant groups at less than MOA to 300 yards.

CDR3
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.