Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gregory Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What product or what is a good way to remove wax from walnut gun stocks. My first project will be a custom 257 Roberts with "French/English" walnut stock that has been oil finished then waxed. It is beautiful wood. I don't want to damage it but I would like to resurrect the oil finish. I don't know the difference between French and English walnut. I have been told the stock is French walnut and I have been told it is English walnut. It looks like carmel cake mix with dark brown and almost black swirls, streaks and veins in it. There is a great deal of contrast in the color. It is a very cool rifle and I would like to make it look as nice as possible. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lacquer thinner.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lacquer thinner but go easy with it. Saturate a piece of Burlap or other rough cloth and use the friction as much as the solvent to take it off. If you flooded the stock with thinner it could start to lift the oil negating the age an oxidation of the original finish.

If it is an all oil finish a slight amount of wax will rub out and mix with the oil. So you don't have to take every little bit off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd use mineral spirits, myself.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mineral spirits or naptha which evaporates faster, lacquer thinner is way more aggressive than you need. I'd probably reach for the VM&P naptha. A quick wipe with lacquer thinner probably(!) wouldn't hurt on a true varnish/oil finish.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No pics? Foul!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mineral spirits has worked or me. Lacquer thinner "might" do more than you want. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mineral spirits of course.

Murphy's oil soap works great w/o needing hazmat.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uhhhh........ Assuming no one was fool enough to use a silicone car wax on the stock... Just rub on your oil heavy and wipe dry, exactly like oil is always applied. Wax in the finish is not a problem... Again, assuming the garbage they put on cars was not used anywhere near the stock.

Did I mention how useless car wax is on guns? Silicone oil is a mess and if your finish fisheyes you will have to go through a bunch of steps to get rid of it.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Darn it, Art got there ahead of me. To further add to that, the solvents typically found in commercial "oil" finishes that act as carriers will dissolve the wax for the most part.

Another product to keep the heck away from your guns is Armor-all. Major source of fisheyes too. (For that matter keep it away from your car too. Airborne molecules attached to the painted surface- as in overspray from the dashboard- will give a paint shop fits of holy cussing. The stuff is insidious and never goes away. Ditto WD-40. We don't even allow it in the woodshop for any reason as the airborne molecules play havoc with any finishing schedule taking place.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/12/09.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When you say, "..it has been waxed", I assume you mean a wax for wood floors, like Johnson Paste Wax. On the can, it says to use mineral spirits and rubbing with a soft cotton rag to remove the wax.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.