24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a pair of 13" Schnees in Alberta. They were great in snow,slush and sticky mud.I have the bob soles and a removable liner. The guide said "oh you got the good boots" with a note of surprise. Schnees has great customer service as well.
These boots are of no value in California!

You can't miss fast enough to win!
BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a pair of Cabela's, I have never had a pair of Beans. My brother in law swears by his Beans. I swore at my Chinamanese ones from Cabelas. They never fit my heel correct, kept the forrest dry for others by sucking in all the water in the area. I mailed them back in, got questions, like how do you know they leak? I suggested they put them on and stand in a bucket of ice water. I ended up getting the Irish setter boot they had on sale, Gore Tex, super lightweight, medium insulation, about 12" tall, I've hunted in cold deep snow at 9500'for elk, my feet were comfy. I can wear the Setter all day, day after day. If I had to have a pair of leather top rubber bottom boots, I would call Beans, fill out the order, pay more than cheap knockoffs and be happy. No more junk for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I use a pair of the waxed cotton uppers Bean Boots for most of my hunting from August through October (and later if not too cold). They are a great lightweight workhorse. If one places a wool felt insole in the bottom and/or wears a thick wool sock, then the moisture issue can be handled much easier than in GoreTex boots that don't breathe.

As to leakage, simply wax the uppers and especially the seams ahead of time. That is pretty much true of any non-GT boot though, so seems obvious. A beeswaxed pair of Bean leather boots is about indestructible except on very jagged rocks for the soles.

I have a new pair of insulated leather Cabelas for late this fall. They seem to be a good boot looking at them, but have not wrung them out just yet.

L
L
I had this boot 2 years ago but I didn't like them . I used only 2 months . They are not good for winters days . After that one of my expert friend recommended Lowa Men's Tibet GTX . They are, hands down, the best boots I've ever owned. I have been breaking them in over the last few weeks and have been amazed at how they fit and wear. This is not what I would call a lightweight boot, but you hardly can tell that you are wearing them.I started wearing them a few hours a days around the house and then out on some short hikes to break them in. Absolutely no hotspots, rubs, etc. I wear a size 10.5M to 11M shoe/boot normally, and I purchased these in an 11. The fit is perfect. Perhaps a little extra room in the toe than typical, but that does leave room for a heavier sock if necessary.

GTX bootie has been truly waterproof. I have worn them through some slop already and my feet stayed dry. The only thing I will say about the GTX is that it makes this a warm boot. Even though it isn't insulated, with the right sock(s), these boots would be adequate for all but the coldest of days

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Now this is odd...new member, first post and it's to resurrect an almost eight year old thread about bean boots with what almost seems like an advertisement for Lowa's....written by someone with limited English proficiency....really odd....or maybe it's just me?

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Now this is odd...new member, first post and it's to resurrect an almost eight year old thread about bean boots with what almost seems like an advertisement for Lowa's....written by someone with limited English proficiency....really odd....or maybe it's just me?
Nope, sounds fishy to me, as well.

Concerning the original Bean boots, I have a pair that I bought about 1978 that is on the third pair of soles, the last two having both been air-bobs. Don't have a lot of use for them down here in the Chihuahuan desert, but sometimes they do come in handy during El Nino winters.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't think Lowa needs a shill posting like this. I didn't click D link and won't...........

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
And, I'd be paralyzed for a week if I spent more than 5 minutes in Bean boots these days.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought my first pair of LL Bean boots in the early 70's and have had several pairs since. With merino wool socks and the sheepskin insoles they were good for fair weather flat terrain hunting. When conditions were slippery they were an invitation for a fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have two pairs. One's the traditional uninsulated with chain tread, the other pair is insulated Oxford-height. The low ones are great winter shoes for mucking about outside in the wet, especially in winter. The high ones, with lots of socks, are comfy for woods-loafing in mild to chilly weather, but they'll kill you on leaf-covered slopes or rocky terrain. They have zero ankle support or protection and leave the soles of your feet vulnerable to bruising from anything you step on. I wore them for a few days while deer hunting, but never again, unless I hunt low, flat, pine woods someday.

There are other models with better support and traction, but they are much heavier. In the cold or in any kind of uneven terrain, I'll stick with my 800g Danners (Made in USA).

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread was started 8 years ago by one of the most notorious trolls who ever joined the Campfire, who has long since departed in disgrace, so responding to the original post is at least somewhat ridiculous.

It was rebooted by a brand-new member who's apparently another troll, so any further posts are also at least somewhat ridiculous.

But one of the old traditions of the Campfire is responding to just about any post we have the slightest interest in, without reading any of the thread. Apparently that's why some of us are here! We need to be heard!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This thread was started 8 years ago by one of the most notorious trolls who ever joined the Campfire, who has long since departed in disgrace, so responding to the original post is at least somewhat ridiculous.

It was rebooted by a brand-new member who's apparently another troll, so any further posts are also at least somewhat ridiculous.

But one of the old traditions of the Campfire is responding to just about any post we have the slightest interest in, without reading any of the thread. Apparently that's why some of us are here! We need to be heard!

John, aren't you being rough on a guy whom you must have had cause to turn to when he was chief US production engineer for FN?

BTW, I always look to see the dates of the posts when I open a thread. If it's very old, I check before I post to be sure I don't contradict something I already posted.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's a good idea!

Funny thing about Lee24: I asked a few people in the gun business who should have known him, given his "resume." They couldn't imagine who it might be, even after I provided several examples of his claims. Some even laughed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by LiamAntony
I had this boot 2 years ago but I didn't like them...

Thank you, robotic computer spamtronic, info man. What a perfect opportunity to help others in the forum. And you too!

Do you have a favourite shoe? It could be a comfortable, old pair of Adidas or Nikes. Oh, I know what you're thinking,

"Steve, I love quality, but cannot understand why my favourite court shoe isn't waterproof. If it was, I would own the perfect hunting foot container!"

Comfort is only one part of the foot thing. Clean, warm, comfortable toes inside a shoe that tracks over different types of terrain is just as important.

Like you, I was loathe to spend hundreds of dollars on a good quality bootie, so I took charge and created my own solution.

It started by slipping on plastic liners I took out of the garbage! This novel and inexpensive solution was an adaptation of an idea from my childhood. My mother used to do this when our boots wore out, but she needed to make them last a little longer.

[Linked Image]

The next part is where the quality and wear factors meet. Don't use just one pair of plastic liners, use two!

That's right, wrap the outside of your fave bootie or sneaker with more plastic! And just think,not only will your feets be drier and more comfortable, but you're helping the environment too. By keeping bags out of landfills, you are personally responsible for adding years to the life of the earth!

Stop spending huge amounts of money and time searching for the perfect feets enclosure, when the answer is right under your ̶n̶o̶s̶e̶ toes!

[Linked Image]

This is a picture of my feet during my hunt for ̶i̶l̶l̶e̶g̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶l̶i̶e̶n̶s̶ moose last fall.

In conclusion - Fashionable. Comfortable. Waterproof. Environmentally friendly. Cheap!

Win-win! (This win-win thing is not an endorsement for Winchester ammunition or firearms. A wonderful and accurate choice for people who love pre-assembled ammunition.)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, John, I generally don't even look at the dates on this stuff. Not the first time I've been sucked into the time vortex here. Hopefully, someone will be able to use some of the info generated by the trolling.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by carbon12
LL Bean Maine hunting boots on steroids = Schnees pac boot. Although claimed to be made in Montana, some of the rubber parts are not. Still, Schnees and Whites pac boots are 'none betta'

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-insulated-pac-boots?r=HOME2a

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Pacs_boots.php

Schnees are tits!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948

BTW, I always look to see the dates of the posts when I open a thread. If it's very old, I check before I post to be sure I don't contradict something I already posted.

Yeah, I looked to see if I had previously responded, and I had. I like my answer, and note that I was more polite 8 years ago. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have an older pair with steel shanks that are insulated. I don't hunt in them but like them for knocking about when it is cold and wet.

The reason I'm posting on an old thread is to comment on Cabela's brand footwear. It sucks. I bought a pair of their nicest hunting boots about ten years ago but never wore them. I forget how much insulation they had but it was a lot. Last January my son and a co-worker(from Cabela's, we worked there part time) went hog hunting. My son wears tennis shoes exclusively(Vans), but it was so cold and wet he decided he wanted to wear boots. I broke out the Cabela's boots that had never been worn and with an extra pair of socks he said they fit perfectly. When we set out walking to a stand two days later the sole literally came off one boot. I walked back to the truck, got some duct tape and taped the sole back on. When he walked back to the truck when we were done hunting the other sole came off.

Our boss at work just laughed when I told him the story. He'd been with the store for ten years and told me - Cabela's employees don't buy Cabela's brand footwear because the soles fall off. I checked with a couple of other long time employees and was told the same thing. Take it for what it's worth but I won't be purchasing any more store branded footwear from Cabela's.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take it for what it's worth but I won't be purchasing any more store branded footwear from Cabela's.

Or anybody else. Got burned a time or two.

Bought a Bean knockoff from a major shoe company. The rubber cracked in a couple of months.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a set of the Bean knock off boots from Cabelas for walking the dog and bootin' around town in the winter. i got about 8yrs from them with no issues at all. I'd buy another set it I knew they were made at the same place as the first as many times the suppliers do change on these kind of product lines.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.