Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Anyone wearing the Cabela's copies of the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe? How do they compare? Which soles are you using and how do you like them?

GB1

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You mean that China ripoff?

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not sure why anyone would copy the 'Maine hunting shoe'. When it was introduced in 1912 I'm sure it was one heck of a boot, but 95+ years later, there are definitely better options. Being from Maine, I have had several pairs, but I find them uncomfortable, and not very warm. I currently have a pair with thinsulate lining and the Bean Bob sole, and they mostly stay in the closet.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure I agree. With a pair of good wool socks, I find them warm and comfortable, easy on the feet. Probably not my first choice for mountain hunting, but still a darn good boot. I suppose they are the boot equivalent to the Nosler Partition. There might be something new better, but not by much. A classic that still gets the job done. I'm sure it all depends on the conditions you hunt, and the condition of your feet. Feet are funny. Neither one size, nor one style will suit everyone.

Why go with Cabela's when you can still get the original?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I put mine on this morning at 6 AM and they were still on until after dinner. They are not a heavy duty hiking boot and there are lots of boots I would rather wear in subzero conditions, but for general mucking around in the mud and the crud they are hard to beat. Hatari has it right, don't skimp on the socks.

I have several pair and wear them from September right through April. Basically, I guess I pretty much live in them.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
IC B2

L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A lot of hunters used to wear the Bean boots down South, too, because so much of the woods are either soaked with dew, or boggy marsh. Bird hunting, when the frost is really heavy at 20 degrees or so, then melts as the sun gets higher, you need shoes and trousers that will not get soaked in the broom straw and blackberry patches.

And I hunters in the Midwest wearing them in deep snow; older hunters, that is.
Younger hunters seem to not wear them at all.

I just wondered if those who wear them are die hard LL Bean, or have tried the Cabela's, which don't look as nice to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lee24
Anyone wearing the Cabela's copies of the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe? How do they compare? Which soles are you using and how do you like them?

I have the ones from Cabela's (extreme version with 44 gram insulation). They are okay. Winter caught up to us while moose hunting last month and one of the mornings started at about 10 degrees or so and didn't warm up much beyond that. Even while riding a 4-wheeler, walking in powdery snow and the incessant wind my feet really didn't get cold. They weren't as warm as a pair of LaCross Iceman's, but the wool socks and preparations I made kept me from being miserable.

I'm actually contemplating a real pair of Bean boots next year with the insulation and Gore-Tex liner in them. The real chink in these kind of boots is where the shaft is stitched to the foot.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been wearing the Bean regular boots and most recently the insulated ones for years for rabbit, squirrel and deer hunting in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I get a size bigger boot than I normally wear for better confort with heavier socks and room enough for my arch supports. The Bean boots are flat as a board inside thus the need for the arch supports. One thing I always do is not lace them up too tight. Just enough to keep my foot from sliding around in them. Otherwise, if they were laced up tight my feet would freeze up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current pair of Bean hunting boots are around 15 years old and have the thinsulate in the rubber bottoms. I have worn them twice last week during our muzzle-loader season (had a nor'easter dropping lots of rain). They are not much when it is really cold, but for mushy hunting when it is above freezing they work great. I will buy another pair of LL Bean brand when these wear out - no Chinese crap for me (too much of it out there already).

Last edited by Odessa; 10/18/09.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As Lee suggested, Beans are still very popular down south where its muddy during most of the hunting season. In mud and muck they can't be beat. Nearly everyone I know who hunts has a pair.

Lee, I've tried the cabela's and they were not nearly the same. I quickly followed up with another pair of Beans. Among other things, the Cabela's boot ate my socks. No matter how long of socks I wore, they'd always end up down in the boot. I hate that.

IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a pair of the Bean Boots and find no fault with them. As you say, for mud and slop, in mild temps, they are perfect.
And, they are THE best boot for scent control Deer hunting. Rubber bottoms are the reason.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had the Cabela's brand and they held up well for several years but didn't hold the water out very well.

`Bring Enough Gun`
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe I am biased being a New Englander but they are great boots when temps are above freezing. I have owened a pair for 15+ years and when the soles wear out you can send them back for resoling. There are better boots when it cold and better for hiking in the mountains but when still hunting through cedar swamps they get the job done as they have for the last 97 yrs. The other plus is Bean's Customer Service is second to none.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On LL BEAN BOOTS:

My hunting buddy bought a pair, I'll say three years ago, but I'm thinking it might have been two. I was impressed with them, they were insulated, Mossy Oak camo,and fairly light weight. Last year they gave up some stitching and just started to fall apart. If they were mine I'd have a brand new pair compliments of LL BEAN. NOT sure why he won't do anything about that. Point is their quality may be slipping.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
LL Bean Maine hunting boots on steroids = Schnees pac boot. Although claimed to be made in Montana, some of the rubber parts are not. Still, Schnees and Whites pac boots are 'none betta'

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-insulated-pac-boots?r=HOME2a

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Pacs_boots.php

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It depends how you hunt. Guys who wear backpacks or hunt mountains and out west won't like them. They're not meant for that style of hunting. If you still-hunt the Northeast (apparently down south as well) there's none better. They specifically have a thin sole that helps you feel the forest floor when walking slowly. I have the 16 inch models and they are great for this. I also have Lacrosse Alphaburly's and heavy, vibram soled hiking boots. I always leave them at home when hunting the Northeast, the soles are too thick and heavy.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They have a place in my boot line up. They are very comfortable and I wear them while not hunting a lot. I do like them for hunting when it is not too cold. I had a pair that the stiching came undone. When I was going through freeport I dropped them off. They mailed them back to me with new laces and insoles, no charge. LL Bean is legendary for ther custormer service and they are still tops. I think that is one of the only reasons that keeps me coming back, recently lots of China stuff for $$, but the boots are still great and American made.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wore out a pair of Maine Hunting boots burning brush piles. I found the chain lug soles to be absolutely worthless on steep slopes.

I asked Schnees to put together a narrow pack boot for me (13 A). They blew me off and told me they could not help me. I contacted the guys below and they put together the finest pack boot I have owned. CP.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For stalking in wet stuff, not much better out there then a pair with the soft soles. Like moccasins.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had LL Beaners since the 60's. The original chain tread is far outdated. 20 years ago I had My pair resoled to the bob that they were offering, much thicker sole. I still have these and they are very good for warm weather hunting. Use them every Spring & Fall. The last I knew, they would not do the bob any more in the regular Maine Hunting Shoe. For cold weather, I wear either a pair of Danners or Schnees.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.