-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
California has gotta be the place, no doubt about it.
Thirty-seven million plus, something has just gotta to be a special attractant there.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 257wby
You might want to check out the Black Hills area of SD. 2 species of deer, elk, Mt. Lion, grouse, prairie dogs and fine trout fishing in the streams and lakes. Drive a little and shoot pheasants, more grouse, ducks and geese, catch walleye and salmon in the Missouri river. The employment scene is what you make of it. Good folks, no income taxes. Banana Belt weather with some great chinooks warming up the area. Snow for skiing and snowmobiling, too.

Shutup , dammitt............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Black Hills, too. But, isn't it a hard draw even for residents?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I've been in WY for 10 years and like it, but it is no paradise. You have to look at where the capital of the state is and how that is going. As the capital goes so goes the rest of the state.
All the southern CA libs moved to Denver and F#@ked up that whole state. Now the libs can't stand what they made and are moving to Cheyenne. Once they take over the politcs of Cheyenne I will be forced to live under their rules even though I am 450 miles away.

I share your concerns. The bad economy is kind of a blessing in that regard because a lot of the people who were moving here were "equity immigrants" who cashed out in high end states. With the real estate crash, there are less potential immigrants these days. We also see people from places like coastal areas of California who move into a nice house in the country during the summer, then experience climate shock when winter rolls around. Some of these people are looking to move within 2-3 years We actually need more people who think like us to move here, and we can hold on to our lifestyle for longer.

Aside from the potential downside, we really like it here and will stay as long as encroachment in the form of liberal politics or crime does not become a problem.

Our playground in the mountains is hour and a half away. Hunting seasons are too short compated to the south, but the variety of species allows us to string along different seasons and get something approaching two and a half months if we bowhunt. We don't get into snowmobiling, but there is a long season for that. There is no income tax, sales taxes are reasonable, property taxes are reasonable, and the state will pay for a good chunk of residents' college tuition at UW. Living in the southern part of the state, if we just have to have a big city fix, we are 45 minutes from Fort Collins and an hour and a half from Denver. When we have to go somewhere, we fly out of Denver International Airport.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/27/09.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yeah , elk are a tuff draw .

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Originally Posted by 257wby
You might want to check out the Black Hills area of SD. 2 species of deer, elk, Mt. Lion, grouse, prairie dogs and fine trout fishing in the streams and lakes. Drive a little and shoot pheasants, more grouse, ducks and geese, catch walleye and salmon in the Missouri river. The employment scene is what you make of it. Good folks, no income taxes. Banana Belt weather with some great chinooks warming up the area. Snow for skiing and snowmobiling, too.

Shutup , dammitt............
Ya beat me to it... Stay the heck outta SD.. It really sux.. No one would wanna live there, uh, no one.... Windy, dry, no roads, no people - it really sux.. Ignore my sig.. Wife's makin' me do it.. yada yada yada..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/27/09.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Virginia or Tennessee they are both West of DC

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BMT
A place with good hunting has no economy.

Name your poison.

BMT

Precisely.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
remington79 You must be new to Idaho. The snow plowing is way better then it used to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I've been in WY for 10 years and like it, but it is no paradise. You have to look at where the capital of the state is and how that is going. As the capital goes so goes the rest of the state.
All the southern CA libs moved to Denver and F#@ked up that whole state. Now the libs can't stand what they made and are moving to Cheyenne. Once they take over the politcs of Cheyenne I will be forced to live under their rules even though I am 450 miles away.

I share your concerns. The bad economy is kind of a blessing in that regard because a lot of the people who were moving here were "equity immigrants" who cashed out in high end states. With the real estate crash, there are less potential immigrants these days. We also see people from places like coastal areas of California who move into a nice house in the country during the summer, then experience climate shock when winter rolls around. Some of these people are looking to move within 2-3 years We actually need more people who think like us to move here, and we can hold on to our lifestyle for longer.

Aside from the potential downside, we really like it here and will stay as long as encroachment in the form of liberal politics or crime does not become a problem.

Our playground in the mountains is hour and a half away. Hunting seasons are too short compated to the south, but the variety of species allows us to string along different seasons and get something approaching two and a half months if we bowhunt. We don't get into snowmobiling, but there is a long season for that. There is no income tax, sales taxes are reasonable, property taxes are reasonable, and the state will pay for a good chunk of residents' college tuition at UW. Living in the southern part of the state, if we just have to have a big city fix, we are 45 minutes from Fort Collins and an hour and a half from Denver. When we have to go somewhere, we fly out of Denver International Airport.

Perhaps this will be a cleansing winter........ smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
remington79 You must be new to Idaho. The snow plowing is way better then it used to be.
Ya want good snow plowing??? Come, all ye faithful, to TAX HELL WISCONSIN.

Six flakes of snow touch the ground and the squadron of salt trucks, idling on 'plus-five', scream out of the shops - boxes up, salt a-shakin and sparks comin' from the plow blades to ensure not a FLAKE OF SNOW remains anywhere between the ditch lines..

It just pizzes me off.. No wonder people have no idea how to drive in winter anymore because we're not ALLOWED to drive in winter conditions here.. mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The northern CA libs moved to Olympia/Seattle and Salem/Portland and hence even the people on Spokane and Bend have to live by the stupid philosophy of the capital city.
ID is getting ruined by $$$ form the libs in CA and AZ.
AZ is behind enemy lines because we won't secure our southern border.
NM is bordering on third world status.
NV would be a possible option but I'm guessing CA libs are moving to Carson City so it won't take long and NV will be like CO.
UT has a lot of people. If you are not connected in the LDS church - good luck.
MT looks promising especially with their "in your face" governor. Finally a polititian that knows what the 10th admendment means.
NE - too flat.
TX/OK - I don't consider western states. Besides if you don't speak spanish - good luck!

Looks like you are left with ND, MT, NV and in that order. I've never been to AK so my opinion would be worthless. When WY gets like CO - I may head to AK.

You forgot Kansas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I like the Black Hills, too. But, isn't it a hard draw even for residents?

This year there were left over elk licenses after the first draw. They all went away in the 2nd draw. Probably cow tags, but still probably not as tough a draw as WY-MT units. Non-residents are not allowed to hunt elk in SD outside of the reservations.

From the GFP page:
2009 Leftover Elk Licenses

The 2nd draw for elk has been completed and there are no leftover tags for the 2009 season.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Idaho Panhandle beautiful country anywhere from Moscow North. Parts of Idaho North and East of Spokane are a bedroom community for Spokane with world class hunting and fishing and in most cases it doesn't get to hot in the summer or to cold in the winter. All you have to do is cross the border into the Spokane area and employment prospects are good and at livable wages. If you want Salt water fishing Puget Sound is Six Hours away and the Washington/Oregon Coast another three to four hours away.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been here for about 2 years BlueDuck. I find Hayden and Dalton Gardens is much more on top of the game than CDA. My wife and I moved up here about 2 years ago from Texas. I grew up in Northwest CT (yes its actually rural and the only red county in the state) so I have seen some winters. I just have to laugh when I hear on the news that theres 4-5 inches of snow on the ground and everyone is calling for a snow day. Growing up 4-5 inches of snow on the ground meant a 60 minute or 90 minute delay. I find the winters here mild compared to what I grew up with.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
One of the gun rags (maybe Outdoor Life) says Lewiston, Id is the #1 place to be. If you bring a job with you there is probably a niche, home of Speer/Blount/etc... good fishing at the door in the Snake & Clearwater, hunting just out of town, waterfowel, big game, AND it is a seaport @ about 800 ft above sea level. warmer too.
If I wasn't here I'd be somewhere around there for a base of operations.
MC

marty
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I would have said Montana but they just passed a moritorium on any new arrivals. I think I was the last one through the door smile

Good Day
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.