Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
how's northwest nevada? just popped in my head, thought i'd ask.........

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool thing about Nevada is that you can rent two wives... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't know about NW Nevada, but the Walker River area south of Minden/Gardnerville NV, going toward Bishop CA is terrific. In fact, Bishop CA is spectacular. It's the anti-LA.

I lived between Minden and Carson City for several years, and liked it a lot. That was 25 years ago, but I could hike to a gravel dig about 1/4 mile from my house and target shoot undisturbed. We used a wood stove to supplement our gas heat, so I'd go cut a cord or two of pinion pine every year. There is a strip about 1/2 to 1 mile wide along the western side of the Sierras that is kept quite green with runoff. Lots of really nice hiking spots and great scenery around there.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bishop is nice!
I like that whole area, from Bishop down through Lone Pine.
If I had to live in California again, I could be pretty happy in that area.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Plus, in Utah they give you two wives... laugh

Isn't that like two too many?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I detest southern California, norther California should be a separate state. From the worst $hit bird people in the southern part of the state to the finest people you will ever meet in your life, northern folks are just down right special people. What happened? It must be the water that makes the difference.

The difference is so dramatic that you think you just entered the twilight zone.

I really don't know that much about the fishing, but the people up north are sure a fine lot of folks.

Are you nuts? You serious? Let's see Northern California = San Francisco, Oakland, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, Newsome, Jerry Brown

Southern Calfornia = Reagan, Orange County Republicans.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Northern NV aint bad. We got our share of Californians around Reno, but otherwise it's quite nice. Economy not real good right now, but that will return to normal.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

I detest southern California, norther California should be a separate state. From the worst $hit bird people in the southern part of the state to the finest people you will ever meet in your life, northern folks are just down right special people. What happened? It must be the water that makes the difference.

The difference is so dramatic that you think you just entered the twilight zone.

I really don't know that much about the fishing, but the people up north are sure a fine lot of folks.

Are you nuts? You serious? Let's see Northern California = San Francisco, Oakland, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, Newsome, Jerry Brown

Southern Calfornia = Reagan, Orange County Republicans.

I think you are both wrong, it is coastal vs. inland. Almost the whole coast is liberal, inland conservative.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Another problem in idaho is ppl posting public land as private.
It took me a year to get to the bottom of what was what as far as public land.
If you went by the posted signs you would think that there is no public land from boise to canada.
On the 4wheeler statement -yes they piss me off to no end -you can be hunting and 4-wheeler punks will see where you are headed and ride over and check it out before you can walk there-mighty nice of them !!!
Many places within 100 miles of boise are -well i can't think of a word for it -guys roll up with their z-71 with mag wheels -unload their 750 POlaris wildcat 4x4 wheeler then go "hunting" with their weatherby 300 MAG ballistictip nighmare bullets w/ tasco super duper 8x32-56 scope.Just ride around all day long disturbing everybody they can.
Colorado's front range would be much worse because there are droves more ppl.
From the time you get to colorado springs all the way to cheyenne ,wy it is nearly none stop subdivisions =not for me although you would stand a better chance for a job.

If i were in michigan and had family there -i would consider some place as far west as western iowa/missouri or eastern kansas/nebraska.Plenty of deer hunting -woods -job opportunities
and a days drive to the west if you draw a tag.
What i thought "out west" would be -is gone .

If you could fly over the midwest -southeast south central and count the number of game animals with infrared there would be hundreds of times more animals than what i have seen in idaho.
If you are retired with a good income you could find a place in one of these states -but i'm not nearly ready for retirement and have to be around ppl to make a living.
Also many roads are closed throughout the winter months so any thoughts of hunting many of the wild spces will take a snow machine to get to or hours of walking.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Mike,

Most of the activities you described are illegal. There is a pretty hefty fine for posting public ground. And it is illegal to take 4-wheelers off of the designated trails.

Have you ever reported any of this activity?

Our favorite hunting spots still see little traffic. But then we have to start hiking about three hours before shooting light to get to the good part of the mountain before dawn.

No motorized vehicles allowed past our camping spot, and most hunters are far too lazy to get to where we hunt.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been in WY for 10 years and like it, but it is no paradise. You have to look at where the capital of the state is and how that is going. As the capital goes so goes the rest of the state.
All the southern CA libs moved to Denver and F#@ked up that whole state. Now the libs can't stand what they made and are moving to Cheyenne. Once they take over the politcs of Cheyenne I will be forced to live under their rules even though I am 450 miles away.
The northern CA libs moved to Olympia/Seattle and Salem/Portland and hence even the people on Spokane and Bend have to live by the stupid philosophy of the capital city.
ID is getting ruined by $$$ form the libs in CA and AZ.
AZ is behind enemy lines because we won't secure our southern border.
NM is bordering on third world status.
NV would be a possible option but I'm guessing CA libs are moving to Carson City so it won't take long and NV will be like CO.
UT has a lot of people. If you are not connected in the LDS church - good luck.
MT looks promising especially with their "in your face" governor. Finally a polititian that knows what the 10th admendment means.
NE - too flat.
TX/OK - I don't consider western states. Besides if you don't speak spanish - good luck!

Looks like you are left with ND, MT, NV and in that order. I've never been to AK so my opinion would be worthless. When WY gets like CO - I may head to AK.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Montana sucks- horrible winters, too many rattle snakes, grizzlies, hunting and fishing all shot to hell, roads are dangerous, houses cost $500,000 for a starter, can't get a resident license until you have lived here five years, people are unfriendly, poor TV and cell phone reception, no pro ball teams
Utah is good-

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I use to dream about moving out west. Always pictured wide open areas with pine as far as the eye could see and a creek or stream around every bend. Flew out 12 yrs ago to scope the area around Colorado Springs(100 mile radius).

After seeing housing costs, number of people, job opportunities, etc,. we quickly changed our plans. Realized back east ain't so bad and in much of Pa, Oh and middle/western NY a fella could buy very good land with excellent hunting for around $1,500/acre(up to around $2k +/-). Sure jobs were harder to come by and paid less but the cost of living was so low it more than made up for it. There's also the added benefit of knowing Californians will never look at this area to overrun.

Just saying sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hawaii

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Hawaii

Nice place to visit in the winter for a few days. But way too many libtards to live there for any extended time.

NRA Lifetime Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Mike,

Most of the activities you described are illegal. There is a pretty hefty fine for posting public ground. And it is illegal to take 4-wheelers off of the designated trails.

Have you ever reported any of this activity?

Our favorite hunting spots still see little traffic. But then we have to start hiking about three hours before shooting light to get to the good part of the mountain before dawn.

No motorized vehicles allowed past our camping spot, and most hunters are far too lazy to get to where we hunt.

------------------------------------------------------------

Idaho Shooter -I have not reported it and after reading my own post -i sound like i am talking about idaho as a whole.I'm talking mostly about sw of town -owyhee area -i like to go hunting often and not drive 120 miles when i do.
I am mostly a predator hunter and of course prefer to do it when it cools off unfortunatly that's when deer/antelope season starts then there are orange vests everywhere you look.
I go up and hunt near warm lake/mccall region and do find some good areas that don't have a lot of ppl in them -and you are right most hunters are too lazy to walk any distance.
Road hunters can and are a blessing if you do some scouting -hunt the thick areas that are out of sight of the road and you will get your quarry.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
North Idaho is ok. It's hard to get a good job though. They don't do a good job of plowing the roads in the winter. Instead of plowing during the storm to keep on top of it they wait till the storm is over. Then you have 5 inches of packed snow to try to drive on. We also get a lot of crime spilling over from Spokane. Idaho also nails you with both an income tax and a sales tax. At least in MT it's just an income tax and WY is just a sales tax. I'm working on getting in better shape so I can get a better job again and moving to MT or WY.
It's too bad it's nice country up here, mountains, snow, and forest but you just can't get ahead up here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to check out the Black Hills area of SD. 2 species of deer, elk, Mt. Lion, grouse, prairie dogs and fine trout fishing in the streams and lakes. Drive a little and shoot pheasants, more grouse, ducks and geese, catch walleye and salmon in the Missouri river. The employment scene is what you make of it. Good folks, no income taxes. Banana Belt weather with some great chinooks warming up the area. Snow for skiing and snowmobiling, too.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barkoff; as usual, you're doing a good job of defending us Calif folks. THANKS!! If they don't care for it here, stay the hell out! Pretty simple. 340boy and denton: Been all over Minden, Gardnerville and Bishop. Have you ever been to Woodfords,Ca.? Damn nice place there. Small, got everything I'd ever need. Again Barkoff, thanks, you say it better than I could. Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Arizona and New Mexico really SUCK!

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.