-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had fantastic results w/ krieger. My first choice if I have time....

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Just one lowly cautionary note - I had one Krieger for a customer that he simply could not get to shoot. Nothin' worked, and it wasn't a spindly barrel either - it was a #8 contour.... He finally gave up, round-filed the Krieger and had me install a Lilja.. That cured THAT!

But I mention it only because ANY barrel maker can have a turd leave the bowl.. I would have NO issue with obtaining another Krieger at all..

The cross reference example to this anyone deal, is my buddy shot Kriegers for years and on a whim and some PR stuff floating in the highpower world, he ordered a Lilja. Shot like a house on fire. For about 1100 rounds. In a bolt gun 223 with 26 inch tube. Thats WAY under the life of a 223 barrel. I had a Krieger that had a documented over 10K rounds in it, I don't even recall but I THINK it was pushing 12K rounds.. anyway it still would shoot just over MOA at 200 and 300, but MOA and just over at 600 makes life tough in matches...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with Kreiger barrels consists of one so take it for what it's worth but man does it shoot! I've heard so many people say the .264 WinMag is a picky cartridge. That's what my Kreiger is chambered in and it's not fussy at all. I'm very impressed with the barrel and the cartridge.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakojake
So, what is it that makes them dominate? Rifling process? Quality control?

Krieger makes excellent barrels, as do several others, including but not limited to Bartlein, Schneider, Shilen, Hart, Broughton, Lawton, PacNor, Brux and Rock Creek. The biggest reason they dominate in BR competition is that so many of the top shooters in the country use them. If 80% of the competitors used Broughton, then Broughton would dominate. Bartlein seems to be closing fast on Krieger when it comes to winning. That doesn't mean Bartlein is a better barrel than Krieger, it means that more competitors are using them.

I have three Kriegers and I can tell you they clean up fast andshoot as well as I can steer them. If you go with a Krieger I believe you will be happy. I also think you would find happiness with any of the others listed as well as a few that are not.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TC1
My experience with Kreiger barrels consists of one so take it for what it's worth but man does it shoot! I've heard so many people say the .264 WinMag is a picky cartridge. That's what my Kreiger is chambered in and it's not fussy at all. I'm very impressed with the barrel and the cartridge.

Terry

my Krieger .264 barrel shot the first load i tried into .5 moa. it has only shot that one load.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bartlein is essentially a krieger in the contour you want it in,rather then what kriegers says you want it in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had good luck recently with Brux barrels after using Krieger, Lilja, Douglas and Shilen in the past. Which is the best? That is up for grabs as far as I am concerned. All have been good barrels, and I can't say one is better than the other. Norm and Ken at Brux are great to work with and will make sure you get the exact twist and contour you want in a cut-rifled barrel. So far all have shot very, very well. They have said if their barrel doesn't shoot, let them know.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
+1 for Brux. This Krieger was more of doing something different than needing a better product. My last 5 barrels have been Brux. I turned right around and ordered a Brux along with the Krieger after talking to Dwight, so he will finally get to see inside a Brux barrel.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
First off, I own no barrels made by Krieger. I'll always be a Hart Barrel guy.
But, I read the Centerfire Benchrest shoots reports each month. Krieger barrels outnumber all others combined. Sayz something about Krieger barrels to me.
I ordered my first stainless barrel in 1967, a Hart, and took delivery of it when I returned for an overseas assignment in 1968. I've bought at least a half dozen Hart barrels since then, and they all have been shooters. Being a loyal guy, I'll continue buying Hart barrels.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just chambered a 30 cal. Rock 5R barrel and it has shot so well that I have another on order. Being a benchrest guy, I would clean after every group. I went 75 rounds with this new Rock and it is still clean. I do have a borescope. Kreiger, Bartlein, Shilen, and Lilja make excellent barrels.
Butch

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer Rock to Kreiger,by quite a bit. Mike's 30cal 5R's in 11" and change,are simply wicked.

I've a Kreiger 223AI and another in 22-250AI. I don't get giddy about them. PN is still my favorite there and Hart my 2nd choice.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What I like about Krieger is that they will sell you only their best barrel.

No tiers of quality with them.

What they throw away in the garbage can Pac-Nor will market.

I've heard tell that they are now going to produce a 5R.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
SU35,
I don't completely agree with your assessments. Kreiger has the Criterion grade and has both Stainless and CM barrels. They make a cheaper grade as do some of the other barrel makers. They make a shoe for every foot.
Butch

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I realize there are different "types" of barrels that Krieger markets.

But if their top of the line does not gauge out to the minimum it goes in the garbage can. Other makers like PN or Douglas will sell that barrel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very much the gist of a conversation I recall on the subject.

The new product manager Helmut, is building much pride right now within the company. He has challenged the crews on the rifling machines to be ultimately consistent resharpening of the rifling hooks used to cut the grooves.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But if their top of the line does not gauge out to the minimum it goes in the garbage can. Other makers like PN or Douglas will sell that barrel.

Don't forget to condemn Shilen too. grin

Is there something amoral about a manufacturer selling a lower grade product at a lower price?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For those that have just ordered from Krieger, what is their lead time right now?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakojake
I was thinking #5 contour. My Remington sporter measures .656 at the muzzle. Looks like the Krieger #5 contour is .700 at 26". I would most likely cut and crown to 24" so I am figuring a little over .700. If I remember correctly, they do offer stainless in this contour.

you are quite right sakojake. i own a Krieger stainless in a 30 cal, 1-10. it was right on .700 at the muzzle cut and crowned to 26". it shoots lights out on my old mauser. 5/8" in a 30-06 with my hunting load. 5 shots...

Last edited by ironeagle_84; 10/20/09. Reason: too add shot count for all you looneys out there who wanna know :grin:

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35

I've heard tell that they are now going to produce a 5R.

Yup, according to Krieger web site they are producing some 5R barrels whatever kind of barrels those are.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Curiously enough,I've "lesser tiered" wares by other Makers,which trump my Kreigers.

Fluff ain't my gig and I've no reservation quantifying goods at me feet,in fair extrapolation.

I'm done with Kreiger.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.