Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've been browsing this section of the site today and looking over some of the work you guys have done and I have to say it really intrigues me as to how to get started. You guys are making some beautiful knives. I would only be interested in it as a hobby (unless I uncover some dormant bladesmith skill and this is my calling in life :)). What does it really take to get started?

I've always been a knife lover and small collector over the years with my love of the blade progressing into a sword and fantasy knife collection. Nothing extremely high quality, just stuff for show smile.

Anyway, I made a knife from a blank with the help of my old Scoutmaster quite a few years ago (about 15 years ago as I am 28 now). Working with him in his gunsmith shop on this knife is what really got me started with them.

I never really got into it much after that...oh I messed around with pieces of scrap metal and wood, making knives out of hacksaw blades, but that was the extent of it. I was too young and had too many other things happening to want to really learn knife making.

Well today, while at the annual Civil War encampment we have where I live, I spent a few minutes talking to the blacksmith they had setup who was working on sharpening a knive made from a railroad spike. Longstory short, I ended up buying a half completed RR spike knife to finish out on my own with his bit of advice. Should be a really fun project and one that I'm sure I'll be asking questions about on here.

I see that I've crossed 2 different thoughts into this one topic so I'll go back to my original purpose. Is it incredibly expensive to get started doing this as a small hobby?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i do believe there is a book out there thats been reprinted several times called something like "The $50 Knife Shop".....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
To add to my post above. I just got through reading a post on handmade knives and it looks like some of these knives were made from files and rasps? How does one go about doing that?

What are some starter resources I could look into for information on this hobby?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rattler
i do believe there is a book out there thats been reprinted several times called something like "The $50 Knife Shop".....

just found that on amazon.com, thanks for the help!

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no problem.....actually ive been thinking along the same lines as you.......i just dont have the time at the moment but my uncle used to be a farrier, gotta run up to his place to grab some old straw bales to cover up some plants for the winter and was gonna see how much of his blacksmith stuff he still has and see if i can get it from him if he still does.....prolly sit under a tarp at the shop for awhile yet but might be nice to have down the road....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The more I read about it, the more excited I get about trying it.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found this web site recently. It seems to list a lot of materials and information about knife making.
http://ajh-knives.com/material.html

everything from steel to pins and handle material

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
CraigCollier
Hate to be the one to tell you, but I think you have passed the point of no return. Your excitement will surely overcome you. It is a fun activity. Along with the cuts, burns, expenses,....

Keep us posted on your journey.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I will do so, for sure. I'm sure I will have TONS of questions and concerns laugh

I've wanted to take up a new hobby as of late, and I've tried a few different things but they weren't anything that I really, really enjoyed. I think this is going to be different.

There's just something about a beautiful knife that speaks to me. Calls to me to pick it up, withdraw it from the sheath and admire all the craftsmanship it took to bring it to it's current state.

Last edited by CraigCollier; 10/18/09.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing you might consider is visiting a knifemaker in your area, if there is one located nearby.

These days, more and more people are getting into it, and it isn't to hard to find someone with some experience.

Looking at someone's shop and their equipment will go a long way in helping you decide whether or not you want to invest the time and money into getting seriously into knifemaking.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I would like to start it as a hobby mainly. Then, if it looks like it could turn into something profitable, I could always expand.

I don't think there is a local knifemaker, but I will check. Thanks for the suggestions.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best thing about visiting someone's shop is you can see what equipment and how they are using it.

A lot of guys make their own belt grinders and that is neat to see. You're gonna have to figure out how many you need and which angles you want to work. I use three.

You could probably start with 4k in tools. More or less if you shop constantly for equipment to find good deals used. And there are good deals on used stuff. I found a terrific old bandsaw for less than 100 bucks. I found an old US Navy bench grinder on a steel also.

I like Bender grinders. Lathe. Mill.

Remember it takes time to collect all the tools, so don't let that discourage you. Meet people in the trade, they will lead you to more deals and contacts for supplies. Plan on making money from the start to recoup your investment in tools at least. A lot of guys make their money back first by putting out a lot of fixed hunting blades for 100-150$. A 154 cm 4" general purpose knife sells like hot cakes at a gun show.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What are some good/popular styles to start out with other than the 4" general purpose posted above?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The knives made by MRK, who posts here and includes pictures are very attractive, as of those of Gene Ingram.

For a beginner, I would avoid styles that require fitting and soldering a guard, at least for now.

The Dean Russel design that I made a lot of is both attractive and simple to make, and a very useful working design. There are pictures on the forum.

There are two methods of making a knife, forging with a hammer and anvil, and stock removal. With forging, you heat the steel red hot and beat it to shape with a big hammer.

With stock removal, you take a piece of steel and grind off everything that does not look like a knife.

All my knives are stock removal.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think stock removal will be the method that I use.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try YouTube. When I started out (actually using Mora blades, broke handle off and made my own custom handles out of antler,etc), I looked a lot online. I found on YouTube there are a few others making useable knives from things described before (files, saw blades). There are some good ideas on hardening steel,etc.

I am more of a visual person and like to "watch" videos and such. I do not learn as fast reading.

Just thought I would throw that out there. Put "knife making" in the YouTube search box and keep looking. There a lot of styles out there people are doing.

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 80 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.