Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 340boy
Corelokt,
Lee can outdo that, I am sure!
(rolls eyes)

BTW, your avatar is sweet!!

I doubt it. I failed to mention the ceramic coating. In order to cure it we had to turn the moon to face the sun and position just the correct distance from the Hubble space telescopes parabolic mirrors to get the temperature correct. That wasn't the hardest part though. The hardest part was keeping Lee24 from going up there in his self designed, hybrid shuttle and signing his name in the fresh concrete.
The down side to all this was the global warming effects and the Tsunami we caused, you can use the Tsunami as proof that what I'm saying is fact, despite the governent shredding all documents and brainwashing all those involved. I've been in hiding to prevent them from finding me. Gotta go, someones at the door...

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
he invented ceramic coating, and designed the application process.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
he invented ceramic coating, and designed the application process.

Of course he did!
At least, when he wasn't busy being a national-level Palma shooter or taking graduate courses in law or out deer hunting with his variety of different loads that shoot to different points of impact that he can exchange as the ranges vary.
smirk

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by corelokt
Corelokt,
Lee can outdo that, I am sure!
(rolls eyes)

BTW, your avatar is sweet!!

I doubt it. I failed to mention the ceramic coating. In order to cure it we had to turn the moon to face the sun and position just the correct distance from the Hubble space telescopes parabolic mirrors to get the temperature correct. That wasn't the hardest part though. The hardest part was keeping Lee24 from going up there in his self designed, hybrid shuttle and signing his name in the fresh concrete.
The down side to all this was the global warming effects and the Tsunami we caused, you can use the Tsunami as proof that what I'm saying is fact, despite the governent shredding all documents and brainwashing all those involved. I've been in hiding to prevent them from finding me. Gotta go, someones at the door...

Corelokt,
You rule!

Stated as Tim bows before Corelokt and chants "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!"
grin

Last edited by 340boy; 10/23/09. Reason: spelling

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Well, that would explain why he kept yelling "But it's mine! I made this!" I was surprised he could yell in space, until I found out he had designed a propitiatory means of doing so intended to be used in the star wars programs special black ops.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you search Yahoo or Google for "titanium nitride" you will see several companies doing the coating process, and several explanations of PVD and the chemistry.

If you couldn't understand my explanation of my machinery, try reading theirs.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No, tzone, I didn't claim to "invent" Finite Element Analysis.
I have been writing programs to do it for vibration, structural deformation, wind loading, and heat transfer, since 1979 beginning in FORTRAN.

Since you don't seem to know much about that stuff, being too young to remember, there were no personal computers in 1979, except a few running CP/M on the 8-bit Z80 with 64K of RAM and a 320K floppy drive. They could not perform a 3D Gaussian relaxation on 200 nodes, which is a rather trivial FEA problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My most recent M700's are both shooters... A big heavy M700P in .223, and a Sendero in .300 WM.

HOWEVER, the throat on the 300 WM is waaaaaay out there, and it had/has a burr at the chamber mouth that has caused me much frustration. And it's a brass-eating SOB; splits case necks after just a few reloads. That could be my die set also; I have not done the work to determine the cause of that. My intent is to shoot out this barrel ASAP and re-tube, so I've just been annealing cases rather than getting torqued over it...

But again- both of them SHOOT. And generally speaking the machining is good on them.

Lee24, if you did indeed contribute to the XCR coating process, good on ye. My XCR has seen some real weather and the coating really does work.

I got involved in 'puters around '82. Well I remember 8-bit CP/M machines and Fortran and Pascal... Then C (C+) came along and took over... then about when I stopped programming was when the "meta language" compilers were taking over... Nowadays there's so much code between the programmer and machine language that it's amazing the whole shebang works! smile

Back to the pissing match, I'm outa here!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All that code in between the Windows applications and firmware is mostly sloppy fat, due to cheap memory and hurried designs. Most people don't realize that Microsoft has a FORTRAN compiler, which they bought during their lawsuit settlements with other operating system vendors they had harmed.

Titanium nitride naturally tends to have a golden hue to its silver finish. Remington XCR rifles had that at first. Now, they have it dialed in to look like stainless steel on the old BDL SS.

These finishes can be processed to make them dark grey, a charcoal.
Remington is offering that in a few tactical models now for law enforcement. I talked to them this week, and they are not revealing any plans to offer it in the hunting XCR rifles. I would like to see a charcoal nitride finish on a 4140 chrome moly action and barrel, with the stainless bolt and trigger.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Lee24
They do use a chemical vapor deposition machine which I helped design to apply their "TriNyte" finish to the XCR rifles.

I'm an industrial coater with EDC & TGICP powder application practices on both ferrous & non ferrous metals as of late.

Previous I existed in more of a liquids coatings environment mostly using conventional methods applying 2K automotive urethanes to various plastics & composites.

I actually did help the coatings world in general with a breakthrough concept & idea some years ago that is still being practiced today.

My concept allowed an existing ink sublimation decorating process to work with softer plastics such as TPO. Around 10 years ago I developed a host primer to accept the sublimation inks & endure the heat process above what the substrate itself was capable of remaining stable at.

blah, blah, blah, yawn, so on & so forth...

I currently deal primarily with powder coating or ferrous metals. My pretreatment equipment is a conventional "5 stage" automated unit built around my production application seed of 8ft per minute. My 5 zones of pretreatment are 60 seconds, 30 seconds, 60, 30 & 30. I find that with today's steel industry being so unstable in the marketplace my steel comes from all over the damn world. These mills buy & sell each other so often you just can't keep up with who's mill the stuff was produced at & with what process, it's a nightmare. Process lubes, corrosion inhibitors, some inorganic, some organic... Chemistry for pretreat is tough these days. The soil & oil loads are all over the map.

Anyways, instead of a conventional 5 stage chemistry like an alkaline wash, backflow rinse, iron phos deposition, backflow rinse, reverse osmosis rinse. I end up going with a mild acidic cleaner/phos then a rinse, then iron phos, rinse-rinse with the final being virgin RO.

And you do all this before you even think about putting the powder on, pre treat is the foundation for any coating process, gotta do it right or your coating efforts are for nothing.

My question is, what sort of pretreat is necessary for CVD?

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Shouldn't take long to google an answer for that since he developed the software for google.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All that code in between the Windows applications and firmware is mostly sloppy fat, due to cheap memory and hurried designs. Most people don't realize that Microsoft has a FORTRAN compiler, which they bought during their lawsuit settlements with other operating system vendors they had harmed.

Titanium nitride naturally tends to have a golden hue to its silver finish. Remington XCR rifles had that at first. Now, they have it dialed in to look like stainless steel on the old BDL SS.

These finishes can be processed to make them dark grey, a charcoal.
Remington is offering that in a few tactical models now for law enforcement. I talked to them this week, and they are not revealing any plans to offer it in the hunting XCR rifles. I would like to see a charcoal nitride finish on a 4140 chrome moly action and barrel, with the stainless bolt and trigger.

My 1st-year XCR indeed has that yellowish cast; it's kind of a bummer as it will look a little goofy when I re-barrel it someday...

A buddy just ordered one of those black tactical XCR's. He intends to slap it in another stock to get away from the wierd thumbhole thingy. Comes with the 40x trigger. I'm jealous.

Lee24, my assumption has been that the bore is NOT TriNyte coated; that's a real Achilles heel since, in the end, it's the most important metal on the rifle! Do you know, is the bore of an XCR TryNyte coated?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scorp, it's interesting that you are taking a course, but have you every actually designed and built a concrete structure?

The ones that impress me are the one-of-a-kinds, like stadium second decks, large bridge supports, and curved roofs. Those require not just engineering book knowledge, but enough experience to have a feel for what will work and will not work.

You still can't even answer the 'gimme' questions I asked. That shows how much concrete design you've really done in your life.

In addition with tzone's question on mix design, that really shows just how much of a phony you are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scorp,
Exactly.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

At the rate we're going, this thread will be 100 pages and we'll still be asking the same things. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that JO has thrown his hat into the ring, it will probably run to 250...
wink

James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Scorpion

In addition with tzone's question on mix design, that really shows just how much of a phony you are.

and that was a big ol' underhand chick pitched soft ball lobbed in there. but of course it wasn't anything you'd be able to google either. You'd need experience to answer it. Hell, even high school intern type experience would have covered it.

can't google it all 'eh lee?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that JO has thrown his hat into the ring, it will probably run to 250...
wink

smile

My hat is not in any ring. You guys can have this one. I have no beef with Lee24, and I am not qualified to evaluate his claims or credentials.

I was just commenting on the original question- recent M700 quality- and making polite conversation.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the thing about Lee, he is too dense to even realize that the engineering field is so vast that no one person can have 10% of the knowledge he claims.
A real engineer also knows when to STFU when he is in above his head-which, as everyone at the 'Fire can see, is the last thing Lee would do.

It is quite obvious that Lee is not an engineer.

James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nothing is built the way it used to be including machinist. My father taught precision machining and drafting on the high school level for 35 years starting in 1964. The problem is kids are more prepped for tests that get the schools more money than learning a quality skill. No one gives a rip about these skills anymore so no one is learning them. So now we have a bunch of Nintendo idiots running our CNC machines who have no idea what pride in your work means or the concept of craftsmanship. All they know is the machine makes the parts within tolerance and if it doesn't change the tool head. This is the same reason we are forced to drive junk built in Korea and Japan. Because we have a bunch of drunk crack heads in Detroit that don't have any skill and don't have and pride in what they do. And that's because no one has taught them to. So if you want a well built gun buy a "blank" from Remington and take it to a gunsmith to have it finished if it doesn't work for you The human element may cause a mistake now and then but something built by a machine has no soul. Just my little rant...

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 15 of 31 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,879
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.