-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check the torque on your actions screws. Check for a crack in the stock right in front of your front action screw. I had a model 70 crack there and accuracy went to crap just like your describing.

1 and done
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to see a "bad" Montana,though admittedly I'm still trying. NIB 223 went under 1/2" last week,with fodder that was slated another rifle.

Whenever accuracy falls off a cliff,check and recheck fasteners,which includes pulling the scope and ascertaining the bases are snug. Same goes the action screws.

Then swap glass,as your last move.

Always comforting to see others get mileage outta my pics.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Ive got a Kimber 8400 300WSM that has been accurized by hill country. When I got it back I shot a couple groups to make sure it was sighted in, and then I just hunted with it. It shot 165gr Fusions into tiny little holes. Last week I took it back out and it shot 4 3-shot groups between 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards. It ticked me off but I though maybe it was me. Shot the gun yesterday at 100 and the first shot was 7 inches low but perfect horizontally. Next 2 shots I have no idea where they hit. Wasnt even on paper. Got a bigger target and shot once. 14 inches high and just a little left. WTH. Im thinking it has to be the scope, or the mounts. Im planning on making sure the mounts and rings are tight, and if that doesn't work Im gonna try a different scope. Is there anything else I should look at? The stock screws seem tight and there doesn't seem to be any movement between the action and stock.

first I would suspect the scope, second have you examined the muzzle in a bright light with a strong magnifying glass, third has the gun gotten water in the barrel?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Copper fouling?

My friends previously very accurate Montana 338WM started spraying all over the place. We check everything we could think of, rings, bases, switched scopes- several times, bedded it. Nothing was working.... I felt so bad for him. Finally I gave him my CR10 to try. It took him 2 hours till the patches came out clean.

It shoots like a varmint rifle again though...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While I'm admittedly a great fan of moly,copper fouling won't cause a puke of that magnitude and in such rapid fashion.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For conversation and to compliment the other pic. While I'm a great fan of tightening fasteners,the concentricity of the scope/ring(s) was very nice,as you can see. This is obviously a good thing and as a rule,it is typically the receiver that has concentricity woes,rather than the mounting system.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just grabbed a cap out of an existing NIB set and went about my business.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will beat on it extra hard,as a R&D curiousity,to see how she weathers that storm. I'm not very nervous in regards to the outcome..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the brown substance on the screws and some parts of the mounts?

And to add who is this?

[Linked Image]

Can I take a hint from part of the address?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/CrackalooA.jpg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brown loctite.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I doubt you can take a hint Don.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That lazy eye,precludes much.

So does the IQ................

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If it has Leupold STD's check the large screws on the bases, another guy and I had screw heads pop off on Kimbers in .325WSM, I switched over to Talleys.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Windage adjustable rears,are amongst the poorest mounting systems ever offered.

Junk +P.................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That's a huge change in a little time... Pull the scope, check the mounts (base screws and/or cracked rings) and if no problems, put another scope on.

I like the Talley's and they're on everything except 3 now. Never had a problem and won't be pulling them off.

That being said, Dednutz on the 3 odd balls are making a strong showing. They don't look quite as pretty, carry about an ounce more wieght, folks can find things to cry about with them, etc....but they're probably going on everything new that comes in. If you haven't tried 'em, they're worth playing with.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
jetjockey,

I hope you will give us an update to what was the problem and what is the solution.

I'm curious.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I will. Im gonna try and shoot this weekend but it will probably be next week until I have time to really look at it. Im gonna check the mounts, and if that works, call it a day. If it still doesn't shoot, Im gonna swap scopes off my M70 that I know shoots well. Ill let everyone know....

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Well I couldn't stand it. I yanked the scope and checked the rings and bases. Hill Country did a very good job securing the rings and bases.. wink Everything was tight. I grabbed my M70 and pulled the VXIII off it (Damn talleys are a pain). Remounted the new scope, bore sighted it, and went to the range. To make a long story short, it was a horrible day at the range. The bench I was using sucked, the wind was blowing, it was raining off and on, and I only had about 45 minutes to shoot. The good thing is, my Kimber still shoots, and I now know the scope went tits up!!! Don't let the groups fool you, like I said, I was in a hurry and the conditions sucked. The good news is that once I got it on paper, and close to sighted in, the first 2 bullets touched, or shot a big ragged hole. The third shot opened the group up but I equate this to my crappy shooting, and the bad conditions. I also shot a flyer on 1 group because the guy right next to me shot at almost the same time as me, and caused a decent flinch.. Overall, Im happy. I shot 19 rounds in about 45 minutes. I had a hot barrel, the bench I was using sucked, it was windy and raining, and Ive shot almost 60 rounds through the barrel without cleaning it.... Im just glad Leupy has great customer service...

Top one is the flier.
[Linked Image]

Re-sighted and the first 2 shots went into the big ragged hole 2.5 high, and right on target, and almost horizontally perfect.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jetjockey; 10/23/09.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad to see you've got it figured out. Send the Leupy to Leupy and all will be good in a couple of weeks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a hunch...grin

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, I felt it had to be the scope. Glad to see all is well. And, Leupold will have the bad one back in no time in better than new condition...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.