Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
60# 29" draw PSE Omen with a 323gr arrow gets me 332 fps

BP-B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's the highest speed ever recorded for a 60# draw weight, Don't ever sell that one!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everybody likes a fast bow. It seems like they are faster in theory than they are over a chronograph. I have a Matthews Drenalin set at 66# and 28 1/2 inch draw. with my Goldtip arrows and a 100 grain broad head, I can get about 272 FPS.

I tried the new Matthews "Monster" and had it set at 66#, 28 1/2 inch draw and compared it to the Drenalin. With both bows sighted in at 20 yards, I moved back and shot them both at 40 yards using the 20 yard pin. The Monster was about 2 1/2 inches higher all things being equal.

I kept the Drenalin, seeing no significant improvement in trajectory, and the pull on the single cam bow is much more pleasant.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Shooting a Bowtech Allegiance, 28 inch DL, 55#, Maxima Hunters, 100gr...it goes over at 271.....The girl has a Bowtech Equilizer shooting, 24 inch DL, 43#, Maxima 150's, 100gr...it goes over at 243 IIRC.....Yes these will kill....

I know there are bows which will push my set up around 300, but they aren't on every rack....and not near as much fun to shoot....

My equalizer is set at 54# and it killed my spike dead!~ Never found the arrow - - it flew out the other side and went bye bye.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Really have seen more bows and guns for that matter sold because the owner found out the real speed they were getting.The fast bows are rated at 30" which really helps pick up the speed.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Deathwish take down recurve, 58# limbs, 510 grain arrow gives me around 180 or so if I pull to 28". Highly unlikely after several hours in the tree stand in mid Nov......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rob p
JJHack- all the speed quotes are IBO which is 5 grains per pound. I'd have to unscrew my tips to get that. The absolute lightest target arrows with glue in nib points and peanut vanes would be close. My birth certificate on my Bowtech 101st Airborne gives a speed of 323 fps. With my hunting arrows, which are 390 grains or 6.5 grains per inch, I get 280 fps. My bow with 70 pound limbs gave me 302 fps with 420 grain arrows. You'll never see the posted speeds on the bows unless you are shooting knitting needles! I shot Darton bows for many years and was pleased as punch with 260 fps. Today, I can shoot a bow at 10fps less and get 20 fps more. I am happy enough.

I'm currently shooting a Victory VForce HV3 arrow with 350 spine that weighs 6.4 grains per inch.

My 29" arrows with 2" Blazers and 100 gr. tips total about 336 grains.

Arrow - 29" x 6.4 = 186 grs.
Point - 100
Nock - 14
2" Blazers - 12
Insert - 24
---------
Total 336 grs.

My Elite Synergy set at 58 lbs and a 28" draw chronos about 287 fps. with these arrows.

Also, at 58 lbs., the 336 grain arrow is well above the 5 gr./lb, IBO minimum of 290 grains.

At 287 fps these arrows produce about 61 lbs. of KE while at the same time providing a pretty flat trajectory out to 50 yards.

I'm also getting excellent penetration with the Victory's and have obtained pass thru's on every deer I've shot with them.

As the saying goes........."speed kills" and that is certainly true when it comes to the modern compound bow.

A light draw weight with a fast arrow is my idea of an excellent hunting combination and the faster the bow, the better I like it.

JMHO

Good luck to all this season...........may all your blood trails be pink and frothy. smirk

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mathews drenalin @ 72lbs 29.5" draw with beman ics 300 and a 100 grain tip= 295fps. I got 302fps with cx 400 arrows.
I regularly set up my chrony at the archery range. The looks of dismay are priceless when guys see what their bows are really doing.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not meaning to critizice but isn't "the need for speed" here in bow hunting a kind of missing the point?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never owned a chronograph. Probably never will. Don't need it.

I shot my Darton Lightning through a chronograph at a pro shop once. Draw weight 55 lbs, 29-inch Easton 2312, 75 grain head, 4-inch plastic vanes, 255 fps.

When the Darton Lightning came on the market about 1979, the other manufacturers criticized it's "flat-top" force/draw curve. Today, all the new bows have a flat-top curve and almost no valley to maximize area under the curve. For a dinosaur like me, these new bows take some getting used to.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like the draw curve on most new bows. It's a joint wrecking tendon ripping nightmare. I like to shoot a lot, with many of the new dual am bows you simply cannot shoot much without feeling it later.

I guess I have stopped looking for the latest trends and hype with speed and now want something that just works and is fun again. I love shooting, and the more I shoot the greater the confidence is. It's just hard to shoot 70lbs a lot with the dual cam draw curves today.

I'm gonna buy a new bow here before too long. I wanna have a "plan b" if something goes wrong with my legacy. I have this fear something will crap out on my bow the week before a hunt and now what? So a "plan b" is in the works.

What I'm looking for is a softer draw cycle and 250plus... ish ... fps with a 375- 400 grain arrow. Pearson makes a bow called the blackhawk that is suppose to be really great for the smooth easy shooting draw curve, The Switchback may have been one of the all time great draw curve bows. And the Martin Moab is also said to have the most comfortable draw curve available. So I don't know what I'll choose but the hype over velocity is not the direction I wanna go.

With a range finder and an adjustable single pin sight does velocity matter that much? With a 400 grain "spear" and an accurate shot the game is over when shooting under 40 yards anyway. Bow hunting is an intimate event, shooting long range shots it shooting, not "bow hunting" anyway. Better to boast about how well you hunt and how close you get, then how far you can shoot!

I'll take a fun to shoot bow and a rangefinder any day over those brutal double cam bows that shoot flat to mile or so!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, I'd have never guessed so many shot over a chrono and know all the pertinent data.

I don't know that I"ve ever run over a chrono for a bow. I just pick the right arrow and head for the task, tune and zero and go from there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I don't remember if the Switchback had the same cam as my '96 Conquest Pro(MaxCam) but I do know that,having shot both,they were similar in their drawing/breakover characteristics. Mathews still offers the Conquest using the MaxCam:
http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-11255-44-ViewProduct-1386-324.asp
Being a fingers shooter I opted for 65% let-off as,at least for me,80% let-off was too much. I shoot right at 60#(bow max's out at 63#)w/a 27.5" draw length. With a 361.2gr arrow I chrono 265fps at 56.3 ft.lb. I certainly don't see why at 70# and shooting a 375-400gr arrow you couldn't achieve the speed/energy you want with a Conquest 4. Plus at 5.4-5.8 gr per lb the bow would be quiet. I use no stabilizer and a small puff ball at the cam end of my bow and it is QUIET.
I just thought that since you liked the Switchback so much I'd pass this info along.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Mathews Drenalin, 29", 64#, with 372 gr. Gold Tip Hunter 5575 arrow- 276 fps

Mathews Reezen, 29", 64#, with 415 gr. Beman ICS Hunter 300 arrow- 285 fps

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You pretty much defined my attitude toward bow hunting also 'though I translated it to traditional archery, a 53 lb recurve which at my draw length goes about 55 lbs. With a 480-gr arrow, as I mentioned, and at 190+fps the game is simplicity itself to 20 yds, almost to 25 yds and very doable to 30 yds.

No pins, cables, extraneous noises, or even range finders. There's no doubt the present day compounds are pretty nifty machines and can be shot accurately much quicker, much further, with the same investment of time than any recurve. If shooting a recurve is like throwing a baseball, shooting a compound is like a pitching machine hurling the same baseball.

While I admire the shots a finely tuned compound with a practiced archer can make, I also admire the simplicity, the geometry, and the warmth of a beautiful recurve. Speed ain't everything.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I too grew up with recurves and hunted til I was about 25 or so with nothing else.

I had an accident dislocating my Elbow which reduced my ability to shoot my bow. It was suggested that I switch to a compound to reduce the stress to my right elbow/joint. I bought a Martin Warthog and thought I had died and gone to archery heaven. However it soon began taking it's toll on my stretched and screwed up joint.

I again gave up on archery until I met the guys from Mathews in Africa. When the hunt was over one of the guys about my size left me his legacy. It was the first experience I had with a trigger release. I've been shooting this ever since.

Now I long for an easy to draw bow like my oneida osprey. Probably not gonna find one with that exact draw curve but I'm gonna see what's out there.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wondered about this. In my brief foray back into bowhunting three years ago, MY PSE Bruin was rated at around 295 fps. The sub 400 grain arrow went 250 fps with a 28" draw and about 65 lbs draw weight. I guess my bow isn't messed up...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I too grew up with recurves and hunted til I was about 25 or so with nothing else.

I had an accident dislocating my Elbow which reduced my ability to shoot my bow. It was suggested that I switch to a compound to reduce the stress to my right elbow/joint. I bought a Martin Warthog and thought I had died and gone to archery heaven. However it soon began taking it's toll on my stretched and screwed up joint.

I again gave up on archery until I met the guys from Mathews in Africa. When the hunt was over one of the guys about my size left me his legacy. It was the first experience I had with a trigger release. I've been shooting this ever since.

Now I long for an easy to draw bow like my oneida osprey. Probably not gonna find one with that exact draw curve but I'm gonna see what's out there.

I hope you can shoot and enjoy archery for a long time.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how the elbow works. I can draw the bow with a release and the ligaments that connect on the back of the forearm to joint are not used. However with fingers they are. These connections at the elbow from my fingers/wrist are what get my joint all swollen and make it feel as if it's gonna pop loose again.

I can shoot with fingers for about 2 days in a week, maybe 60-100 shots which puts me right at the point of inflammation and problems. If I shoot 20-30 arrows a day for a day or two a week then it's okay, or if I shoot the Oneida Osprey all I want it's okay. Guess I have not found the limit with the Oneida yet. I shoot fish with it all summer and never have a problem.

When I learned of the trigger releases and shot with them, I found I could shoot all I want and never had a problem. I have gone back to the Martin Bow with fingers and tried again thinking I must be cured and this would be good again. However within a few days, actually within a few dozen shots, I could feel the difference in my elbow and had to stop.

So Archery is good again but I gotta shoot the release or the oneida. Now if only there was a kinder gentler cam design that crossed the span between todays harsh wicked hard double cams and the Oneida lever limb draw curve?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I laugh at the punks on Archery talk that have the newest speed bows, are shooting 28" draw length at 60 lbs. and think they are getting 320 fps. They claim they are the smoothest shooting bows they have ever shot. Well, they have never shot any other bow, so how would they know? Shooting a speed bow for any amount of time down right tiring. I feel it from my toe nails to my hair follicles. I will take a smooth shooting bow ANY day, compared to the new speed bows. When the weather is cold or these punks have been sitting in a blind for a while and mr. big shows up, there is no way in heck they are going to be able to pull their bows. Been there done that. I will take smooth and forgiving. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.