-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Kaveman Offline OP
OP Offline
Proof a .376 will turn you into Pulp and Fiction. I think I will start customizing Steyrs and engrave "BMF" on the bolt and I think I'll start with the my muffed up .308 handle...
"BMF": The MossyOak Break-Up Camo, MKIV Tactical Edition Steyr ProHunter Mountain. Or the BMF:MOBUCTESPHM, MKIV for short. cool

It is better to be thought foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
good for WTSHTF!

[Linked Image]

Kaveman Offline OP
OP Offline
Is that a Steyr ProHunter:MK-VI RPG? Then the only problem will be parts availability during the apocalypse... whistle

Last edited by Kaveman; 10/27/09.

It is better to be thought foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i see. you guys don't need hi caps so no one should have them.

seriously i live in big bear country and thought it would make a great camp gun. thus the illuminated low power scope. 10 rounds of .375 bullets gives me the warm fuzzies. grab the gun and want for nothing.

and the .376 isn't as bad to shoot as a .338 Win i used to have. that thing hurt.

but of all is well in your little worlds, carry on with the giggling.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
needing a big bore for a possible bear charge is certainly understandable. thinking that your going to have the time to fire 8 rounds is what i think is a LOOOOONG stretch.

you keep saying 10 rounds. if you have a 10 round magazine for the 376 then you do have a rare bird. last one i saw was 8 round HC and 3 RD standard.
let me go check the safe again...

whistle

yep.

SO...
what are you loading in the 376 that it shoots like a 338?
i am loading 235 gr speer over 66 gr of varget and it dang near comes out of my hands. evolved thumb and all.
i like hicaps... in 9mm's and 223's.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
270 gr TSX over 62 gr H4895.

heard of a brown taking 14 rounds of .375 in AK.

and yea, i mean 8 round not 10. but i've not seen one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
375 what?

winchester?

you must be one tough SOB to eat up that recoil.

i found the iron sighted 308 scout to be abusive and i cut my baby teeth on weatherbys.

thats a max compressed load... im thinking w/ the 19" barrel you could back off a bit. either that or carry a fire extinguisher into the woods with you to put out the burn trees when you discharge it.
that loads is 46.32 pounds of Free recoil energy with a recoil velocity of 22.3 FPS.

WOOF!!!

Kaveman Offline OP
OP Offline
I actually think everybody should own Hi-caps...I can see for a camp gun...if you were to be able to pack in 8rnds in the gun, it cuts down the separate articles you would be carrying (more mags).

Soooo...yes all is well in my little world of making accurate shots and conserving ammo...but mo' bullets make me sleep better to.

Some things are all in fun Toad...all in fun. Now can we talk about the Hi-Cap Steyr RPG again?

Or at least the SBS Bolt guns?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the brownie supposedly took 14 rounds of .375 H&H

so, does anyone here know if the McMillan Steyr stock will accept the .376 action? the guy at McMillan diddn't know, but thought it would not fit.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
theres another one I owned. the HBC mcmillan. It was a heavy barrel carbine set in a mcmillan stock. i bought it from the Oconee County sheriff w/ a leupy tactical attop.
The stock will fit a 376 PROHUNTER, not a SCOUT. in fact the 376 barrel contour is the only one that will fit without 1/4" gaps on the sides.

The 376 action is the same action as the 308 ect. the only difference being the bolt face and the magazine followers. and the stock being opened up to fit the heavier contour.

and seriously... i think you can back off the charge a few grains without losing any velocity. burning that much 4895 in a 19" barrel is a waste. unless you intend the rifle to be a distress flare as well... cool

here is a pic of toad shooting a charging bear...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thanks, RW.

that load came from a manual, but washing it through QL shows it to be kinda hot. next batch will be reduced.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
no sweat.
i have a feeling the load would disengage the rear magazine when the stock flexed.

Portable Powerhouse: the .376 Steyr Scout
By Eric S. H. Ching

On the first shot, the rifle came back briskly and the forearm jumped out of my support hand. It was not painful or punishing, but I was surprised at the amount of muzzle flip. I also noticed that the buttstock magazine was now sitting on the bench instead of nestled in the stock.

Reinserting the buttstock magazine, I took a firmer hold on the forearm and tried again. It didn't completely get away from my hand this time, but it almost did. Again the buttstock magazine did its magic and transported itself from the stock to the bench, and it happened yet again on each of the remaining two shots in the main magazine.

Last edited by ringworm; 10/27/09.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
no problems yet, but i have the Pro-Hunter, not the Scout, so i don't have the spare mag well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
ill post a picture of mine... " the Jabberwocky", but it could frighten young viewers. grin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot this group using my .308 Steyr Prohunter. I developed this load after the season ended so I look forward to trying it out. The load is; 130TTSX, 50.5gr of RL15, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.242 using a comparator, velocity is 3,053 fps.

[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
no sweat.
i have a feeling the load would disengage the rear magazine when the stock flexed.

Portable Powerhouse: the .376 Steyr Scout
By Eric S. H. Ching

On the first shot, the rifle came back briskly and the forearm jumped out of my support hand. It was not painful or punishing, but I was surprised at the amount of muzzle flip. I also noticed that the buttstock magazine was now sitting on the bench instead of nestled in the stock.

Reinserting the buttstock magazine, I took a firmer hold on the forearm and tried again. It didn't completely get away from my hand this time, but it almost did. Again the buttstock magazine did its magic and transported itself from the stock to the bench, and it happened yet again on each of the remaining two shots in the main magazine.

The rear mag on my 376 Scout doesn't pop out when shot but it does smash the heck out the bullet tips in the rear mag! I ended up going with Swift A-Frames because thier flat point doesn't get smashed as badly..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I shot this group using my .308 Steyr Prohunter. I developed this load after the season ended so I look forward to trying it out. The load is; 130TTSX, 50.5gr of RL15, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.242 using a comparator, velocity is 3,053 fps.

amazing huh?
And they still fit in the magazine....
whats not to love.

Kaveman Offline OP
OP Offline
Nice paint job Ring...looks like the sky peeking through the trees...DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!.

A .376 Scout is cool in theory...but the .308 kicks hard enough as it is. On a side note..it's a nice bonus that the bolt lockup was designed strong to be used in the aluminum Scout reciever. When you put it in a steel block like the ProHunter it's a really strong system...120,000psi if I remeber the test-to-failure results right. I don't ever want to try it...but nice to have something that strong next to my face when testing new loads.

Toad...a .376 in the McMillan stock seems like an iteresting way to give a .338 Lapua a run for it's money. I thought about putting my .308 in one (not really a fan of camo guns) but it's comfy, and more accurate than I am already...didn't want to mess with it.

Ring...the HBC still makes me smile. If you talked to most of the Steyr guys, then you knew Mr. Stacy "I kill deer at 700yrds" Blankenship. That guy could make an HBC sing...He used to pull .35" 10 shot groups (full Hi-cap mag).

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
HBC [Linked Image]
VARMINT SUPPRESSED [Linked Image]

Kaveman Offline OP
OP Offline
Now that's just mean. Except for it not being aHi-Cap...it's perfect.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.