Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What is the best way to lube a bolt actions locking lugs? I lightly sprayed a little corrosion x on it for protection and lubing and it seems to work well. A little strong smell though. Let me know what you guys use and where to use it. Thanks.

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A very small dab of grease, and also lube the cocking ramp in the back of the bolt where the sear is cammed back into the cocked position and where the bolt cams against the action. A q-tip is a fine applicator.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot close to dry,less issue..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lawnman
What is the best way to lube a bolt actions locking lugs? I lightly sprayed a little corrosion x on it for protection and lubing and it seems to work well. A little strong smell though. Let me know what you guys use and where to use it. Thanks.
If it's a CM action, I usually run it dry.. If SS, a dab of grease is used..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One of the most common issues, that I see on a great many rifles that pass through my shop, is lug gauling. A small amount of good grease will never hurt, and only help prevent gauling. I have encountered rifles that appear to have had the lugs lubed with a "Jiffy-Lube" grease gun. Moderation in all things.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The least I use is an oil made with a synthetic base stock.

I prefer a small amount of moly grease made with a synthetic base stock. I feel that locking lugs will gall without some lubricant.

I like to clean with a bore scrubber, and then finish with a light coat of Hoppe's #9. I lube specific contact areas, like bolt lugs, with Mili-Tech, Wilson Grease (like for a 1911 slide), Bearing grease, or something similar.

I like to use a tough product that isn't runny...more of a grease, and use a small amount of it.

For High speed guns, like an AR or a Semi-Auto Rifle, I use dry lube to cut fouling.

Last edited by Kaveman; 10/28/09.

It is better to be thought foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On a target rifle I would use a small dab of lubriplate because of the amount of rounds fired in one day. For a hunting rifle you could run it dry per rednecks advice and then just oil it after hunting for storage purposes.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a 30 gallon barrel of 90wgt gear oil . Saves time, I just dip the whole rifle.
Seriously tho, I like the synthetic products out there. Brownells action lube seems spot on, and not pricey for the amount you get compared to what you use each time. Mine might just be passed on in my will.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the most common issues, that I see on a great many rifles that pass through my shop, is lug gauling. A small amount of good grease will never hurt, and only help prevent gauling.

Sadly, I had that problem once. Now they all get a little grease.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A very small dab of grease, and also lube the cocking ramp in the back of the bolt where the sear is cammed back into the cocked position and where the bolt cams against the action. A q-tip is a fine applicator.

That is what I do. I forget the name of the grease I use but I do know I got it for lub'ing up a slide on a 1911.

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little speck of Shooters Choice Red Grease on a toothpick does it for me.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a small tube (the old style metal one) of Gunslick that has lasted for years and has many more in it. A little goes a long way.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a small ammount of Breakfree,very small.My belief is if your going to lube it,clean well and often.Grease and oil can collect dirt sand all kinds of bad stuff for steel.Got to watch you don't do more harm than good.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A very little grease, I have been using some grease made for bicycles just cause I had it, The 4oz tube has been in my gun cleaning box since 1989 at the rate I am using it up it will be there when I die.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use a rag dampened with plain old Transmission fluid, very very little, just enough coat it ever so lightly..Transmission fluid in tests proved to be the slickest product between two pieces of metal...This was written up in some magazine and I have long since forgotten but Jack Belk also did some tests along these lines and told me he arrived at the same result, so I use it..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Transmission fluid is regular oil filled with additives. One of the additives is some EP so in that respect its better than motor oil.

However what is its base stock? If its a synthetic then its good at lower temps.

Much better yet, in my opinion, is a grease with moly in it. Moly works when the full film of the oil is overloaded and boundry conditions happen. When any oil is so pushed away by a heavy load then only a solid will prevent or reduce metal to metal contact. Moly is a good one for that. You want a grease with synthetic base stock also. Grease is oil with a thickener added.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
synthetic temp. resistant grease - just a tiny amount on the back of the lugs ... but that's only done once a year or so.

Another good thing is a dry lube, whether it's something like Hornady One-Shot, or a powdered graphite or mica ... One of the nice things about the dry lubes is that they don't attract any dirt/grime like a grease will, and they are not affected by temperatures.

-WGM-
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All my indexable carbide insert cutters come with a small tube of Moly and so I keep one around for putting a small dab on the lugs. Once you do that once, it'll impregnate into the abutments and lugs, so the process will very likely never have to be repeated again.

My Ti was very sticky, but that little trick slicked it right up.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt ... you need to send me a little sample of that stuff to try out ... I'd love to give it a whirl ...

-WGM-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.