Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
Does anyone remember the thread concerning shooting lightweight rifles from a bench?
Need to reread that thread smile I understand the rifle needs to be held more firmly at the fore-end .. I need all the help I can get, again crazy
Link will be appreciated!

g

Geo W,

I don't think it's quite as simple as to automatically say, "hold the fore-end", although that is indeed what needs to happen to bring my Kimber from about 1.25 MOA down to .75 MOA. I think holding the fore-end is something to try if "free recoil" isn't working, though.

I see this is turning to a trigger pull discussion. I won't run a heavy trigger, and 4+ pounds is heavy as far as I'm concerned! I run my Kimber at around 2 pounds, same with my other bolt guns except the M7 which is more like 2.75 lbs (because it's typically a high-stress, close-range gun)... and my two main dedicated LR target rifles have Jewell triggers set around 6-8 ounces.

For a light rifle especially, I'm of the opinion that you pretty much have to run a light trigger if you want accuracy. Let me re-phrase that. *I* have to run a light trigger if I want accuracy.

For those who have not tried it, you'd be shocked at how much easier it is to shoot little groups with a clean 6-oz trigger. There's really no going back once you get used to "light".

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a nice day. I am going hunting now.

Don't get worked up over this. There is more than one right answer to it.

smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck, Don! Go get 'em!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Have a nice day. I am going hunting now.

Don't get worked up over this. There is more than one right answer to it.

smile

Not worked up in the least. Just been itching to get a new 223 Montana, and this looked like a fine opportunity.........(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How can someone claim they have the right answer, when they are expounding on a knowledge and experience base of 0??????

I don't see quoting an 18 y/o book as in anyway relevant to the op's question.

In general gun writers are far from the best shots, aren't using the best equipment, and are gearing their prose towards the masses.

There are those that don't have to quote others, nor do they have to post pictures of other peoples guns. They know what works because they've done it themselves.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When shooting my Tikka T3 lite from the bench I let the front bag support the front of the rifle freely. I've noticed something that helps me hold this light weight steady while squeezing the trigger, is to take my left hand and sort of pinch the bottom of the butt stock with this hand also resting on the bench.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I run the bag under the mag box with rabbit ears on the buttstock and my left hand cupped around the rear bag, giving it a squeeze for the finite adjustment.
I do this for prone as well, which is without a doubt the meanest combination I've seen yet.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RedRabbit

Have you tried using the middle finger as the trigger finger?

When I ground the thing off I was seven years old, over 50 years ago. Vividly remember shooting my Daisy with my bird finger and my bandaged finger pointed straight ahead.. never hesitated to switch back when the soreness went away. Went on to qualify expert in the army and never thought about it too much. Just dry fired a few times with bird finger, just ain't right as there's nowhere to put my trigger finger.

I'm using a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 and have a VXIII 2.5-8 chomping at the bit smile

I do believe that the trigger pull is close to the weight of the rifle. Timney, I'm thinking 2.5 to 3lb neighborhood, see what happens and go from there.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
I run the bag under the mag box with rabbit ears on the buttstock and my left hand cupped around the rear bag, giving it a squeeze for the finite adjustment.
I do this for prone as well, which is without a doubt the meanest combination I've seen yet.

Sounds like I need to give it a try as that is how I've done it for years as far as the left hand goes I just use a front rest more forward.

I'll work it out smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

There are those that don't have to quote others, nor do they have to post pictures of other peoples guns. They know what works because they've done it themselves.

Yep.

Lots of us. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by triggerguard1

Ditto, if you find a better way, let me know smile

I often see guys stacking up all sorts of rest and gripping a rifle like they are about to beat someone with it smile

On the trigger pull issue, I can see both sides. Yes, a light trigger is nice, but for the average joe, it's the very last thing they need while hunting. All of the guys I know that own target rigs, run over 2lbs pull on their hunting rigs. Everyone has their own preferences.

Have a Good One,

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
what riflescope? I think the Conquests are set at 100, but the Leup's at 150?

Leupold VX3 2.5-8. Wonderful scope and I really like it. I'm not sure where the thing is parallax free at but it has more than I'm accustomed to at 100 yards. At 200 though the rig is a dream to shoot.

The only reason I mention is that I found that with a smaller stocked rifle it was harder to get a repeatable cheek weld while shooting off the bench. Being it is a very lightweight rifle it takes some care to center the eye without moving the gun.

Of course GeoW might not have this problem at all. Just something I encountered that I thought I'd throw out there.

Hope you get it squared away GW.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Will. I believe it's a combination of things workin against me. I'm not a fan of the factory stock because of reasons you stated. I've considered swapping temporarily with my original Mtn Rifle walnut stock just to see, as that rig goes under an inch with no effort on my part. This one will do the same but I have to work like crazy to make it happen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don,

Stupid isn't an "answer",despite it being all you can muster.

Take notes,they're free................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much what Matt said but some rifles are too brutal in a lightweight (8lb 9.3 x 66) so you have to hold the foreend - but I only caress it - sort of like a woman's - nah won't go there! grin

This one from a 5 1/2 lb (scoped) ULA M24. Mel really knows how to make em.

[Linked Image]

Trigger pull about 3lbs but really nice and crisp Timney.

regards
JohnT

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting John. That rifle is doing you proud. I too received a package from Mel last week but haven't gotten around to giving it a go. Hope it's as capable as yours even though I am not as the shooter smile

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What a relief, I've only got two strikes.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.