Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A search of this section showed absolutely no threads on Rossi single shot rifles.I am a single shot rifle afficianado.
I do not own expensive single shots preferring instead to shoot NEF Handi rifles and Rossi single shot rifles due to their affordability.
Two years ago I bought a used Rossi single shot rifle in .223.I found it to be a well made piece with acceptable accuracy.
Recently I bought a .44 magnum Rossi rifle to test handloads.This is a fun and very accurate rifle that does well with all manner of handlods and factory loads.These can be had for under $200.
Last year I bought the Rossi "trifecta" which had .22LR,20 gauge and .243WIN barrels.The .243 shot like a shotgun.All over the place.I sold it quickly without ever shooting the .22 or 20 gauge.
As you might properly surmise if a rifle doesn't perform it doesn't last long with me.I find the Rossi rifles to be very under-rated.They are a good deal for the money.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sta.,

Last deer season I ran on to a friend at the gun club who had bought a Rossi .243 for his grandson. Coincidentally, I had a new Handi in .243 I'd bought for my grandson. He had been shooting for an hour when I arrived and was blowing shots everywhere. My Handi was sited in and shooting just over an inch with in a half hour. Pretty much confirmed me as a Handi fan. Plus, to my eye, it's a better looking firearm and no dumb saftey.

Ran onto him this spring and he had killed a deer with it, as had my grandson. So they both worked.

O

Too old to suffer fools
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The .243 is problematic in both the Handi rifle and in the Rossi.Probably moreso in the Rossi.I recently read a post about the chamber on the Rossi being too long.
I had a Handi .243 for about three years.I killed a deer with it but just wasn't all that happy with the caliber so I sold it.
Al though I killed my first deer in 1975 with a .243 bolt action I just don't like the round itself.
I have several Handi rifles but I just wanted to spark some discussion on the Rossi.

Stan in SC

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sta..,

I've read other posts claiming the .243 was a problem in Handis and Rossis. Don't understand why that one caliber would cause more problems than any other. It works well in other action types. I do agree the .243 isn't the best round for deer hunting but it does work.

Well, that pretty much sparked all the discussion I have about Rossi. Have fooled with 6 or 8 Handis and all shot very well with the exception of a .223 Lite Weight. My sole experience with Rossi has been noted.

O

Too old to suffer fools
B
B
My friend purchased a brand new Rossi .243 from Gander Mountain, took it out and had 8 misfires form three different brand bullets. I took the misfired shells then put them in my Savage .243 and all but one fired. He is trying to return this gun tonight, even when it did shoot they were 5-6in drifters in the group.

i do not recommend this gun.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My friend had to send his Rossi .243 back to the factory. Looks like it was rebarreled. Next time to the range it would not eject.

My experience with a Handi .243 was horrible.

I like the style and single shots for my type of hunting. Total apples to oranges, but I really wish they were as good of quality as the cheap bolts, Marlins, Stevens, etc.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 09/14/09.
T
T
Rossi 243 seems to like the lighter bullets and a cold barrel.
Finally got mine shooting MODeer and even killed a buck with it. Sold it at a gun show for around 200 with scope and havent looked back. I would buy one today in 44 mag if I knew where one was for under 200 just for fun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rossi's are junk. Just get something good, and be done with it. If you just want something that works for a couple of years, they are okay, but it is not something to hand down to the grandson.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bender
Rossi's are junk. Just get something good, and be done with it. If you just want something that works for a couple of years, they are okay, but it is not something to hand down to the grandson.

Agreed. I work at a gun shop/range and sight in a couple hundred rifles each deer season. Every time a Rossi comes in I grit my teeth. I'm sure there are a few out there that shoot well enough, I just haven't seen one. A Rossi rifle with a cheap $30 Simmons scope is a recipe for much cursing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the new H&R's ?? any experience with them.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
How about the new H&R's ?? any experience with them.

The new H&Rs and NEFs usually shoot better than anyone should expect. The heavy barreled Ultras are usually tack drivers. Some tinkering with the forearm pressure might be necessary to tighten the groups. I had one in 7-08 and was trying to get it to shoot. I got frustrated and priced it to a friend of my son. Before he picked it up, I took it to the range for one more session. I put a rubber o ring between the forearm and the hanger and started playing with the tension. All of a sudden it was shooting 1.25 inches. I was wishing I hadn't priced it.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Al though this thread was originally started as a Rossi thread I recently had a chance to pick up a 45/70 H&R which was 2009 manufacture.The side of the receiver was stamped "Made in Ilion,NY'.Comparison with my 2007 manufacture NEF made in Gardner,Mass. shows absolutely no outward difference.They shoot the same.
Getting back to my Rossi in .44 magnum,I find that although not as finished appearing as the NEF(H&R) it is still a good shooting rifle.I firmly disagree with the poster "bender" who stated Rossi's are pieces of junk.I am sure that person never owned one.Lots of uninformed but opinionated people on this forum.

Stan in SC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw some east european single shots in the local gun shop a few days ago. I can't remember how they were marked, maybe Baikal and Remington. Anyway they were a little rough and clunky but they had hammer forged chrome lined barrels! Chambered in .223, .308, .243 and etc. They were very reasonably priced especially considering the barrel quality. Our gunsmith was very impressed.

I also have a guy that works for me that swears by his Rossi in .308. It is a very respectable shooter.

ss

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a H&R 17HMR that shoots real well. I have it topped with a 3X9 Mueller with a dot reticle that is illuminated. Awesome little rig for shooting yotes at night. Which is completely legal in Michigan with a rimfire and absolutely a blast with a full moon over snow.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Son #1 killed 5 deer with his NEF 243 Superlight. Shoots well with Rem 100g Core-lokts. 1 1/2"-2 1/2" groups. Have not improved on this with hand loads yet. Mounted a Burris Fullfield after teaching him to shoot open sights.

Son #2 went out last year with a Rossi 243. I also bought the triple threat. Not as happy with the Rossi. Groups do not hold under 3", but may be the scope. I hope to replace it this year with a better one. The 20 gauge shotgun barrel has been fun for him. He killed his first squirrel (and many others) with it last year. Have not tried the .22. He uses a Marlin single shot bolt.

Son #1 also has a Rossi .22, 20 Gauge combo. The .22 is accurate and the 20 gauge is his squirrel gun. I am pleased with its performance.

All in all my sons have learned to shoot with these rifles. They both look forward to hunting and shooting. I know they are not of the highest quality but they have served there intended purpose. Heirloom guns will come from me as they grow in both size and knowledge.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
....... Last year I bought the Rossi "trifecta" which had .22LR,20 gauge and .243WIN barrels.The .243 shot like a shotgun.All over the place.I sold it quickly without ever shooting the .22 or 20 gauge.

Stan in SC

I saw one (same as yours) on the shelf 2 weeks ago. I asked my dealer if I can see it. He said..."Nope, it is not for you! You will hate it.".

I guess he knows me too well and my obsession with accuracy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to have one of these to play around with and for craps & giggles. Doesn't sound like I need a .243! Keep in mind that some people can't afford all the expensive toys that some of us have been blessed with. BT

"That God could and would, if He were sought."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.