Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Two more cents for consideration:

My current elk rifle is a .300 RUM. Still, a retired USFWS warden friend of mine used a .270 and .280 to cull untold scores of elk during his career, and almost always with a single shot. This was in the days before the modern super/premium bullet. Admittedly, he carries a .300 WSM nowadays.

I'll ask him for more details later, such as range, bullet type, etc., but in any case, his extensive experience (far beyond what I'd have in multiple lifetimes) surely demonstrates the effectiveness of the '06 and its progeny on elk.

On the other end of the popular elk cartridge spectrum, I've seen a buddy of mine deliver multiple hits from his .340 Wby to bring down a couple nice bulls (he shoots the pre-TSX XBT). Admittedly, his initial shots were raking shots.

On the first, the bull showed no signs of stopping after being hit twice (even though we found later that both reached the boiler room), and we eventually found him bedded, mortally wounded but still alert. On the other bull, it dropped within 100 yards of the initial hit, and upon post-mortem inspection, either hit should have done the trick solo. It just wasn't DRT performance.

This isn't a criticism of the .340 WBY or the Barnes X. Rather, this is yet another illustration of how ideal shot placement with a more standard cartridge can be more immediately effective than a super magnum and less than ideal shot angle/placement. This also shows how a powerful chambering paired with a super-premium bullet can have performance advantages if you're one to take a raking shot, given nothing else.

Sitting here at my PC, it's easy to say I'd pass up a less than ideal shot...but after eager anticipation, costly travel and enduring the better part of a week in a frozen elk camp at 8500', many an ethical compass may be tempted to sway a little should "Mr. 400" present only a Texas heart-shot pose at an intermediate range such as 250 yards.

That's where IMHO (very humble), unless necessitated by economics or ability, I generally do not recommend using marginal or light for quarry loads (by chambering and/or projectile). Your '06 is surely not light for elk.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Be careful with the bigger more powerful chamberings guys. You don't want to overkill them.

Just Kidding.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As some have said, grab the '06 and go. Ditch that enormous scope for a 2-7x33 or 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Buy some boots and pack with the money you save. I wouldn't quit an '06 for a .300 mag and certainly not for a 7. If I had to buy another rifle I'd step up to a .338 (which is what I did) and shoot the hell out of it until it is and extension of yourself.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Brad
That's a SWEET bull... but you look kinda clean grin

Heres' the best I've taken with a 30-06:

[Linked Image]

If I remember there was a little more to that story, didn't you shoot that thing like four times? wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, what a jackass... no. Twice. But he was dead with the first and just didn't know it...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wow what a DICK!!! you made it sound like it was a one shot deal. chill out

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joecool544
you made it sound like it was a one shot deal.

I said it was the best bull I'd taken with a 30-06 (not the best bull I've taken)... how do you extrapolate anything beyond that dumb azz?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lets see some elk you've trailed and killed sleeping in their bed...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have posted plenty of dead elk pics on here, and live ones go look them up your self.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a dumb [bleep], to show up on a nice thread and be obnoxious... go away little man.

But alcohol will do that to dipchits...

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What a dumb [bleep], Jackazz, dipchits

Wow nice mouth!!! a real internet tuff guy, what are you 5' nothing big guy? laugh

Last edited by joecool544; 10/31/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I concur with the '06 being elk worthy though I've taken most with a 340 Wby; this one was a long shot with the '06 and 168-gr TSXs. Lost my hat in the process.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you made it sound like it was a one shot deal

Explain that little drunk man...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
George, I remember that bull... Crazies if I'm not mistaken?

Nice!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
you made it sound like it was a one shot deal

Explain that little drunk man...

Grow up!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Explain it little man...

This site is full of sawed off, drunken miscreants that need a little accountability...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Full disclosure, I've never killed an elk, but plenty of elk sized animals and the 06 is a great caliber and you need look no further. Now if you are looking for a good excuse to add to your collection as we all are, I'd by a 340 MKV loaded with 210 TTSXs and that would be a nice elk rifle too! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Explain it little man...

This site is full of sawed off, drunken miscreants that need a little accountability...

Talking about yourself again I see... laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've got plenty of experience being an AZZ over at accuratereloading... why not crawl back over there and try to impress someone. No one here is interested I can assure you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, I've killed elk with the 210 Partition in the 338 WM and it works well. Personally, I can't find a need for the TSX/monolithic type of bullets. I believe they're more prone to problems than most other bullets combined, but that's just my opinion having used them since the 90's and having finally quit them altogether last year.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
308 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.