-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What bullet do you shoot in your '06,for those "windy" days?.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obviously when you mention "thinking",it is a very loose term.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
when components got tight, i could always feed my .223s/.223AIs. economy shines for big batches, too.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You misunderstand. I don't shoot groundhogs with an 06, I use the Swift. 180 gr in 06, 55 in Swift.
You should try thinking, you'd have better posts.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8" does the 223/223AI proud,though my 9" 223AI will stabilize the 75A-Max...................

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 55 in a 14" Swift,will suck heavy ass,compared to the aforementioned 75 in a 9".

For starters...but I guess I made that too clear in direct comparison prior,while you were fascinating upon Page brainfarts......................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been known to FF AA-2200 with 50's in 223AI,if only to stretch the '335 larder...................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wahoo
Good point. In the east we are spoiled. Did your damage control hunter use a standard Swift? The Rangers here use .223 for this task. Mr Cracker holds the standard Swift in low regard, probably why it wasn't very popular.
When you say boomer, you may misunderstand; I mean 30-06.
The magnums are not fun to shoot for sure. If you used an inferior round like the standard Swift, could you learn more?
Maybe even a .223?
Bill

I don't know as I never thought to ask him and have no way to do it now.

A friend of mine did kill a reasonable size black bear with a mini-14 using 55 grain soft points and I'm sure it was a slow twist barrel. Shot the bear as it stood up at about 75 yards, in the heart, DRT.

You would be surprised at how many elk and mulies are killed in this state with .220 Swifts and .22-250's. Some I know are using standard factory barrels with slow twists and some are using custom barrels with fast twists barrels and heavier grain bullets.

I myself if I were building a .220 Swift for my all around rifle in this state I would go with a fast twist and use high BC bullets but that's me.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For an all round gun, I agree the fast twist would be better. I just use mine as a varmint rifle. I'm guessing the all round western gun would be a 270/280/30-06, or have the magnums taken over?
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wahoo
For an all round gun, I agree the fast twist would be better. I just use mine as a varmint rifle. I'm guessing the all round western gun would be a 270/280/30-06, or have the magnums taken over?
Bill

Most definitely the calibers you listed and I would say also .308 and probably some .260 Remingtons by now too. The 7X57 has a small following too. The .300 Winny and the .375 H&H mag are the mags of choice for the real hunters as well as the before mentioned calibers.

The make-believe hunters use the most bone crushing (to the shooter) magnums they can find and fire a box of ammo a year at least that's what I notice at our range.

Don't get me wrong magnums are okay if that's what a guy wants and is willing to put in the time with them but most magnum shooters figure a magnum will make up for poor shooting.

There is nothing in Montana to hunt that a magnum is needed for. Your plain Jane calibers will work just fine.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything is a "magnum" to somebody.

Speed and BC slip conditions,ignorance don't...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let it go folks. geez. sound like a bunch of kindergardeners arguing over something that doesnt matter. It was BMD's rifle, his choice as to what twist the barrel would be. I heard of one other name mentioned in consultation concerning the twist. And that name was NONE of you people. So quit [bleep] the dead horse and let it rest in peace. Crying shame you cant just be nice and tell the man he has a nice rifle and be done. You gotta bash his decision. His rifle will in no way affect the way any of your rifles perform. Let it be. A mustang with a V-6 is a nice car. Lot of potential left on the table engine wise, but nice car all the same. Doesnt make it a POS or a waste just cause someone didnt want all the HP they could have gotten. Enjoy your rifles and your choices and let BMD enjoy his. NUFF SAID!!!

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have to agree with 280A.
Butch

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Nice weapon. You and your daughter got and varmits lined up yet??? Man that was a dandy Deer she took last year!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I agree 100%,BMD had a very nice rifle built to his specs,and I'm sure he will get plenty of enjoyment out of it nothing else matters! BMD thanks for sharing!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A monkey grabs a handful of [bleep],smears it on a canvas and you feel compelled to clap your hands?

There is no shame in extrapolation,betwixt that which is and that which coulda been...especially when so much inherent performance is left upon the table.

Hard for me to swoon stupidity.................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nah larry. A midget with a PINK rifle...now thats STUPID. How much performance did I leave on the table setting up my 7-08 up like i did? Better question would be...what friggin concern of yours is it? Quit bein an azzmonkey just because we wont let your giblet lil butt play in our sandbox. Grow up or go away. BMD built a damn fine rifle to BMD's specs. I didnt notice anything on the barrel that had anything to do with LARRY. Face it Larry...contrary to your thinking...the custom rifle world DOES NOT revolve around the corn cob you have crammed in your butt. Thats why there are so many choices/variables out there. We are all different. We like different things different ways. Whats right for one may or may not be right for another. Doesnt make it wrong or stupid. Thats just how it is. You make good points sometimes. What you dont do is choose the proper place/method of offering them. And until you learn that, you'll continue to be the outcast of the campfire.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feel free to extoll the "advantages" of a 1-14" Swift,as per your "experiences" with one in the 8" or 9" realm. Pull no punches.

Exceedingly good call to be awed by the legendary Pink Rifle,despite it being old news.....................

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.