24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bought some Aguila SSS 60gr @ 900fps ammo for 22LR for, shall we say, urban varmint shooting (large varmints) BUT the 60gr bullet will not stabilize in normal 1 in 16 twist 22lr barrels. Need more power for these varmints than is gained from CB Long or any pellet rifle options. Possible solution? My new DPMS AR has a 1 in 9 twist rate and should shoot shoot these great. Anyone know where to buy a decent cartridge adapter that will allow me to shoot these in my rifle with its stock barrel and bolt assembly?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't see how it would work with a standard bolt assembly, have you looked at the AR conversions? I can see how it would "work", but ejecting the adapter every time would seem a bit cumbersome, with a fair chance of damaging the adapter.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52397/pid=0/sku/_22LR_Conversion_Kit_w_26_Round_Mag

Last edited by kciH; 10/31/09.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Theoretically do-able,......

totally impractical, in choice of platform

What, pray tell keeps the "Adaptor" from getting flung out on the ground, as you cycle the action as a "single Shot" ?..remove the regular extractor?

LEADING issues ?

....slinging undersized .22 lr lead bullets down a .223 bore
( with a GAS PORT ),....and expecting to just remove the "Adaptor" ,....go back to Jacketed ( no effect on zero anticipated?) ?

I can build the thing,....but really advise you not to run it.

sounds like a REAL DOG.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have seen them advertised somewhere, but could not find said ad. Someone is using them, it seems. Would only need to fire one round, and that on infrequent occasions.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Theoretically do-able,......

totally impractical, in choice of platform

What, pray tell keeps the "Adaptor" from getting flung out on the ground, as you cycle the action as a "single Shot" ?..remove the regular extractor?

What keeps it from "flinging out" is that it is an entirely new bolt assembly, that replaces the normal bolt carrier group, modified to take the 22 LR.

The only way to get it out is the conventional way; pivot open the upper and lower, pull the charging handle back, and slide it out of the back of the upper.

Totally do-able, and practical.

I've put tens of thousands of rounds through them. Kept clean, they run fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect it would be easier to download some .233rem rounds to get the velocity you want.

I have seen .223 cases where the body was essentially solid, with just a small diameter hole drilled through from primer pocket to a conventional neck that held the bullet.

This gave a case with a much reduced internal volume, but which otherwise functioned in the same way..

I have often wondered if you could achieve the same thing by inserting a small copper tube through the existing case and using JB Weld to fill up the void around its exterior...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/01/09.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
INtersting responses, many thanks. To clarify I was looking more for the modified 223 case system rather than the replacement bolt assembly type system but will probably buy and play with both once I find out where to get them.

MARK

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Highly esteemed writer Ross Seyfried wrote an excellent article in the May 2001 issue of rifle. While the main part of the article deals with shooting 22lf in 12G. shotguns the use of adapters to fire smaller cartridges is discussed. One interesting statement is "The most basic forms uses .22 rim fires in 22-caliber rifles, 25ACP in 25-caliber rifles & 32ACP in 30-caliber rifles". Long ago when I was hunting in some fairly remote areas like Northern Labrador I purchased 32ACP adapters to use in a .300 Win. for Ptarmigan. They worked as advertised at short range. Alex, Inc. in Bozeman, Mt. & MCA Sports in Alaska are listed in Seyfrieds article as sources.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks a bunch, thaat was the info and link I was looking for. I finally did find a website for MCA in AK but I think the unit I want to buy is the Alex Inc piece. I have recieved several
PM's offering the bolt carrier group and clip AR to 22lr set ups and will probably buy one or two of these as well. Fun, fun fun!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tbear,

I just did some searching for Alex Inc using various combos of key words and came up empty. Did the article you have list a phone number or an address for Alex Inc?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this what your wanting?
Had a buddy biought one for use in a Contender. The neck of the adapter split within a box or two shot through it.

That was over 25 years ago so maybe better steel is in use now.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9372277&affid=1001

Last edited by 700LH; 11/01/09. Reason: 25 yrs
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ALMOST! Thanks.

The one I am looking for allows for the use of a regular centerfire firing pin like is on my AR's. The unit in question here is for Contenders that have a pivoting firing pin. Same idea, though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I purchased mine over 20 years ago & the article was published in 2001 so apparently Alex is out of business. Backwoodsman Magazine did an article recently on adapters. Go to www.mcace.com/adapters & they have 223 to 22lr adapters. I was using mine as a back up to hunt small game/birds in a survival situation. For short distances adapters work. Years ago a friend was using the 30-06 adapter/cartridges & was hitting tin cans at about 60 yards. This is a more expensive approach that the adapters that allow a small cartridge like a 22lr/32 to be used in a larger bore rifle around the farm for small game & predators.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mark; I've seen those adapters advertized but cannot find the ad I'm thinking of in a pile of magazines I just went through. The ones I'm thinking of are made in Alaska. but I did run across this ad for Hammond Game Getters that are made in Canada.
The ad is in the Nov 2007 Rifle Magazine and they give an web address of: www.gamegetter.ca

I still don't think this is what you are looking for, but it may lead you there if you call them.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 11/01/09.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mark; I did a little googling and found what you are looking for:
MCA Sports/Ace Bullet Company
907-248-4913
Anchorage, Alaska

I googled Ace Bullet Co, Anchorage, Alaska and found it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys ROCK!!!! Totally!

Man, I love this place.......

I will get on the horn to the above locations tomorrow and report back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.