Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Brad
You've got plenty of experience being an AZZ over at accuratereloading... why not crawl back over there and try to impress someone. No one here is interested I can assure you.

Your a sad little man.... laugh

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George, I remember that bull... Crazies if I'm not mistaken?

Nice!

Yea, it was and a cold day too.

I was disappointed that I couldn't work in seeing some of you Montana 'fire guys in the vicinity.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some great inputs and observations here, bottom line is the Nosler is a superb bullet and so are a few others. I just pick the one my rifle likes best and go from there. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I find comments like yours disturbing. Not because I doubt what you experienced, but because the politicians will eventually force us to use "unleaded" bullets.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi to all new here. I just wanted to say there is some verry interesting and heated reading here. good hunting&shooting to all. Derrill

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunshotbob
I hear that .30-06 is just barely enough for a large bodied animal.

Not so! The '06 is perfectly adequate for anything in North America. If you want something else go for it but you can hunt for a lifetime with your '06 and never need anything else.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by purplefox66
Hi to all new here. I just wanted to say there is some verry interesting and heated reading here. good hunting&shooting to all. Derrill

Welcome to the 'Fire, Derrill!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, and I got reamed by some when in anotehr thread I suggested the .257 Weatherby was an elk round.

I think those that say that are not dealing from experience.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by purplefox66

Welcome to the 'Fire, Derrill!

X2. Kind of a fun thread.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, and I got reamed by some when in anotehr thread I suggested the .257 Weatherby was an elk round.

I think those that say that are not dealing from experience.

X2 as well.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scenarshooter--it's great to see you on the Fire! We spoke a while back about calling bruins and such, one of these days we should still get together and do that.

I've called in a bit over 60 now, spect you'd better come my way to get it done however... smile.

Have a super fall!

Dober

(send me a pm when you get a minute)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Sitting here at my PC, it's easy to say I'd pass up a less than ideal shot...but after eager anticipation, costly travel and enduring the better part of a week in a frozen elk camp at 8500', many an ethical compass may be tempted to sway a little should "Mr. 400" present only a Texas heart-shot pose at an intermediate range such as 250 yards.

I often read something similar to this when someone is explaining his preference for a boomer cartridge, be it for elk or even deer.

Here's my question: Wouldn't a 30-06 with a good bullet be plenty to bust up the back end running gear of Mr. 400?

Honest question BTW, never popped an elk myself.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The bottom one, Ultra Lightweight, 300 Roy, 180 @3300...
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

Sitting here at my PC, it's easy to say I'd pass up a less than ideal shot...but after eager anticipation, costly travel and enduring the better part of a week in a frozen elk camp at 8500', many an ethical compass may be tempted to sway a little should "Mr. 400" present only a Texas heart-shot pose at an intermediate range such as 250 yards.

I often read something similar to this when someone is explaining his preference for a boomer cartridge, be it for elk or even deer.

Here's my question: Wouldn't a 30-06 with a good bullet be plenty to bust up the back end running gear of Mr. 400?

I have known it to work in that application, but have never done it myself.....To be honest I'd be unlikely to try it with anything on an unwounded bull.Wounded,anything goes,and if a cartridge/bullet combo is capable of breaking shoulders when you shoot them through the "correct end" of the animal,it makes sense that the same combo should be capable of breaking a hip or two......sort of a sloppy end for a grand animal IMHO,but sometimes circumstances dictate undesireable actions.

In the one instance I know of, a 30/06 with 165 Partition broke the hips of a running spike....shooting full length of an elk is another story altogether and if a guy is inclined to take those kind of shots,I would think only the larger calibers and stoutest bullets should be used.I have(once) driven a 200 gr Partition from forward of the right hip of a big bull to the off-side shoulder,breaking it in the process...the bull was staggered by the first shot and I was able to finish him quickly......that's as far as I would want to stretch things myself.....

On the issue of a 30/06 being insufficient,I find it kind of interesting that some would find the cartridge inadequate for a 700 pound animal,when guys like Phil Shoemaker and others have depended on the cartridge to roust out wounded brown bears....elk seem to elicite this kind of enthusiasm....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Explain it little man...

This site is full of sawed off, drunken miscreants that need a little accountability...

Ok I'll explain it to you, I don't know if your are a habitual liar, or to drunk to remember but anyways in your own words here it is. SO PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS. I do know this you have a hell of a chip on your shoulders. frown And it looks like you need some accountability whistle Anyways I count four shots not two shocked

Today was my sixth day hitting it hard in the high country. I cut a good bull track around 7:15 this morning. I trailed it up the mountain, carefully still hunting and glassing ahead as the track led me into a likely bedding area. At 8:50 I saw a piece of blond hair between two trees... the bull! I crouched down and got a rest against a tree and let him have it with the 06', "threading the needle" between two spruce trees. I saw a big blood patch and let him have another. He staggered to his feet and I put two more shots in (with elk I don't stop til' they're down). The final shot crunched his neck and dropped him just 3 feet from where I'd shot him laying in his bed! The distance was 50 yards. He was bedded at 7,800 feet and just 1/8 mile from where I'd cut a big boar grizzly track two days earlier.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by joecool544; 11/02/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can't kill an elk with a 30 06 and cup and core bullets you'd better find another hobby.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by mathman

Mathman,

If you read my next paragraph:

Originally Posted by Bulltail
That's where IMHO (very humble), unless necessitated by economics or ability, I generally do not recommend using marginal or light for quarry loads (by chambering and/or projectile). Your '06 is surely not light for elk.

As such, I was referring to less potent, more questionable chamberings (not mentioned so as not to start any debates), surely not the venerable '06, which is great for elk in my book.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Undrestood where Bulltail is coming from...he made a good post...elk are large animals found in rough country,and present all kinds of shooting conditions.They can be tough to kill, especially if they know you are "there",and adrenalin is up.Distances can be long...or short...it takes good placement and good bullets to kill them,regardless of caliber.

I can understand guys wanting powerful calibers...BT/DT........even if the advantages are sometimes illusory,having them makes us sometimes feel better,anyway....

A buddy was very slightly off the mark this year with a 300 RUM,and lost the bull.Extremely disapointing.....another good lesson that placement trumps all and powerful rifles only show dramatic results when bullets are properly placed.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I could use a dirty ought six on elk.

But don't, do to better tool choices for my type of hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seeing that's four years ago, you're right. It's four. Woulda sworn it was two. I'm flattered you keep better count of what I shoot than I do. Have killed more than a few critters since then

Aside, you're still a complete and utter jackazz in my book.

When I found out you're the blowhard that snipes elk off your dad's back porch the reason you're an azz became clear. You can't/don't hunt elk... you shoot elk.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
428 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.