24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I have just got back in after a quick afternoon session using my Anschutz 1517 HMR. I say quick because I had to curtail the session when a bullet jammed in the barrel.

I had already shot a couple of rabbits, one head shot at 110 yards, but then I missed a sitter at about 90 yards. Usual bang, but no crack and there was no reaction from the rabbit - he just sat there unconcerned. So, I quickly tried to reload the next round from the magazine - however the next cartridge would not go fully into the chamber, the bolt very nearly closed but not quite.

Remembering similar incidents reported, I then removed the bolt and peered into the barrel - no daylight to be seen! That was a bit scary!

At home I used an aluminium rod to knock out the bullet. I can see the rifling marks on the bullet body and of course the plastic tip has been flattened by the aluminium rod.

The rifle barrel gets cleaned regularly using brushes and, in fact, was only cleaned - about 10 shots before this incident.

I bought the ammo' recently, 500 rounds, and have fired about 60. Remington V-Max Batch # D06N01.

The case looks like new apart from the firing pin indentation. Most of the powder is intact but clumped together. The neck has a hairline crack.

Now I had no idea that the barrel was obstructed so maybe the HMR blow ups are being caused by barrel obstruction ? See link for article testing HM2.
http://www.eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm

Last edited by Bad_Wolf; 10/25/09.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Ruger advertised a 10/17 but never did produce any for the market because of safety issues.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .22 WMR did in fact have issues with containment and current loads raise lower pressures than the originals...and lower velocity.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
DigitalDan: I have NO idea whatsoever, as to what you are talking about!
In a one sentence posting you have been able to confuse me at least twice and again I have no idea WHAT you are trying to say or are talking about!
What do you mean by the term "containment" in regards to the 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire?
AND THEN - what are you trying to relay when you say "...raise lower pressures..."???
If you are "raising" something YOU ARE NOT "lowering" something - i.e. the quote from your post "current loads raise lower pressures than the originals"!
I have been shooting 22 Magnums of several types for half a century now and never had to RESTRAIN (the definition of "contain" - according to my Websters Dictionary - copyright 1986) any of those 22 Magnums!
Could you try again?
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bad_Wolf: It sounds to me like your cartridge had priming but NO powder.
Would you concur with that or do you have another theory?
Thankfully no permanent harm was done to you or your Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

The retrieved case looked as if it contained a full charge of powder, it was right up to the neck. The top section of the powder looked normal, bright shiny beads - but the powder did not fall out of the case when turned upside down. It had loosely clumped together. When eased out, using a toothpick and jeweller's screwdriver, most of it appeared unburnt but there were small clumps of charcoal like material.

I don't know whether this is indicative of the powder and/or primer being defective. Maybe the amount of primer was insufficient to trigger normal powder combustion and/or maybe the powder was contaminated. Also, there was a hairline crack in the case neck and many of the cases had speckled staining.

However, I do know that the sound of the gun as it was fired was normal and that if Section 2 of the article on HM2 testing also applies to the HMR it could explain a lot of blow ups as being attribtable to obstructed barrels.
http://www.eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bad_Wolf: Thank you very much for that detailed description!
I have a couple of arms in caliber 17 HMR and I will use ALL due caution in the future when Hunting and shooting them!
Yikes - I say!
I will go to and read the article you linked to on the 17 Mach2.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.