Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
That's a mighty fine offer, and I appreciate the generocity, but I think I'm going to play with the .357 max cases (still have lots from when my chp was a maximum) if I have to go rimless. First order of business will be making chips and sawdust. If I can't turn it into something that I like owning, then I won't go much further.

Thanks once again though...

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would guess that what you have found that the caliber list ends with the 5.6x52R is correct. There is absolutely no way that the action in question could have a 12 ga. bbl fitted. (.410, perhaps, but that would be all.) The action is way too petite to have anything very large on it.
Here is something interesting. I measured the mono-block diameter of a Brno ZH204 in 12 ga. That diameter is 27 mm. I also measured the mono-block diameter of a ZBK110. That measurement is also 27 mm. So, based on these measurements, it is indeed possible to mount a 12 ga. barrel on a ZBK110 frame.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey, nothing wrong with a .22 Hornet. In fact, I've got a BRNO 22 Hornet bolt gun.

If it reads Brno, I can only assume it was made before the break-up of the Czech Republic. Now they're CZs, I think.

I'd put a schnable stock on that bad boy, some nice wood, and leave it as a Hornet, one of the most under-rated calibers around. With a 35 gr. BT, you can realize 3100 fps easily.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That reminds me of an upscale Savage 219. We had one back in the 50's in .22 Hornet. I forgot who owned it but it was a loner. The brass did not last for handloading as the Hornet is not good at that. Legend has it that one guy hit a crow at very long range with it. Luck of course.

I would not put much effort into that gun however to each his own. Falling block SS's are of more interest to me. Even a rolling block but not a break open SS.

Those break open rifles always seem to have headspace problems.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think Bandukwallah did a nice job on his restoration. Not so sure about the rear sight; believe I'd went peep. But that's entirely preference.

It does looke like a Savage 219, and kind of like a Winchester single-shot shotgun.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ian (VA)
Bandukwallah-

You're setting the bar pretty high! Seriously, what a difference you made in the stockwork alone... our tastes are pretty similar. I appreciate the relative hight you were able to keep on that comb while straightening it out; very sharp. Looks like you smoothed out the edges on the top lever pad as well... I have similar plans. I'll be removing the factory scope provision and doing a custom low-profile one as well as some express sights. Any troubles extracting the rimless case yet? How does your's shoot? I thought I would resurrect this thread so that the SS fraternity could see how this all started.

Regards,
Ian

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Originally Posted by Ian (VA)
Bandukwallah-

You're setting the bar pretty high! Seriously, what a difference you made in the stockwork alone... our tastes are pretty similar. I appreciate the relative hight you were able to keep on that comb while straightening it out; very sharp. Looks like you smoothed out the edges on the top lever pad as well... I have similar plans. I'll be removing the factory scope provision and doing a custom low-profile one as well as some express sights. Any troubles extracting the rimless case yet? How does your's shoot? I thought I would resurrect this thread so that the SS fraternity could see how this all started.

Regards,
Ian
I wanted to resurrect this thread so that we would remember how the project started.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up another ZBK 110 in .222 and am trying to decide whether to leave it as is or???
I see CZ is offering their Effect single shot - which appears to be the same rifle - in 30-06 and 308. Any one got any experience with those?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I was interested as well to see the Effect appear after my project. I think it's a lot like what I set out to change by zbk110 to be. It the timing was a bit different, I might not have done what I did, but I tend to think I still would as it wasn't so much of the rifle that I was interested in, but the project. If you're intereted in a better looking/performing rifle, I'd pay close attention to what those people with Effect experinece have to say. Even though I have no experience with the newer rifle, it seems that there are some up front differences: the monoblock on the Effect seems to be larger in outer diameter and thickness as well as longer. Following that, the breach block looks to be wider, with a correspondingly larger contact area. These initial differences may go a long way towards describing diffent upper limits of proofing.

By the way, what do you want to end up with?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like you, the project has the most appeal and where the journey ends is not all that important. I looked at the Effect last year at SHOT and seem to think it was about the same size. I'll be sure to measure this year and ask what the difference is.
There is nothing wrong with the 222 just the way it is. Especially if it shoots OK. I'll put a scope on it this winter and find out.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I ordered an Effect scope mount from CZ-USA for my ZBK110. It fits beautifully, and, believe it or not, doesn't place the optical axis of the scope too high. I mounted a Burris 2.5x scope on the rifle and plan to try it out --- someday. I'll try to post photos soon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just heard from Jason, CZ's PR man, and he claims that the stocks and barrels from the Effect rifles will not fit the older 110's.
I just began slimming and reshaping the stocks and top tang and things are looking good. I may have a new triple deuce bear rifle.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
I ordered an Effect scope mount from CZ-USA for my ZBK110. It fits beautifully, and, believe it or not, doesn't place the optical axis of the scope too high. I mounted a Burris 2.5x scope on the rifle and plan to try it out --- someday. I'll try to post photos soon.
Here is a photo of the mount and scope: [Linked Image]

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Looks like a nice light-weight mount. You know, that photo is really telling about how small the ZBK is if a 2.5 Burris looks that large on it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
I just heard from Jason, CZ's PR man, and he claims that the stocks and barrels from the Effect rifles will not fit the older 110's.
I just began slimming and reshaping the stocks and top tang and things are looking good. I may have a new triple deuce bear rifle.
Good luck with the project. If you figure out how to remove the break-down lever, PLEASE let us know! It is probably pretty simple, but without a schematic....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm thinking a 6.5 wildcat based on the .357 maximum case; not so much for more powder space, but for neck length/shoulder angle dalliance ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
i'm thinking a 6.5 wildcat based on the .357 maximum case; not so much for more powder space, but for neck length/shoulder angle dalliance ...
Sounds interesting. Do you have any idea of the case capacity?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by fish30ought6

Sounds like it would be very close to the 6.5 TCU,..except with a rim.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
+1 on being reminiscent of a savage. Speaking of Savage maybe chambering it in .250 Savage. Good little deer round with 100 grainers.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Also I wouldn't call it ugly, maybe unique. Put some nice wood on it and refinish the metal. A good gun to carry all day and if you do your part you won't need a second shot.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.