-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm a lever action guy, and since I've been fine tuning my 99 in a 308 I've become a 308 guy too. I've always wondered how Sako Finnwolf would compare to a 99. I've been really fortunate with my gun being able to really squeeze all the accuracy out of it that I could really hope to, so as far as accuracy I'm not really hoping for anything more. I just wondered as far as function, cycling rounds, trigger and just plain old style. I've seen one on Gunbroker that I've been secretly drooling over. Who here has one or has ever had one and what did you think? I'm cheap and if I'm gonna spend that much money on a gun that won't really shoot better than the one I already have I need some reasons to drop the cash.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While I have never owned the Sako, I have handled a number of them. Friends report that their accuracy was equal to the BLR and the Win 88. I don't know how that would stack up to your personal 99. The actions are smooth. While their triggers may not be equal to a Savage Accu, they were normally a little better than the BLR, 88 and 99. The major stumbling block to Finnwolf ownership (other than the original price) is the availability (and PRICE) of magazines. At last check, Finnwolf mags seem to rank right up there with fresh T-Rex eggs, on both counts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some experience with the Finnwolf owning 4 currently. I also have a 99 and have owned 2 BLR's. The Sako's are by far the slickest of the group and with the very short lever throw they have are extremely quick. Because they are so fast and slick I have found them to the quickest rifles I own for getting off additional aimed shots.

I only have the one 99 and it shoots quite acceptably shooting most loads under 2 moa with a couple doing a bit better. The Sako's average about 1.5 moa with most loads with some pet loads they like getting very close to 1 moa.

You are not going to confuse the trigger on the Finnwolf with a Timney or Shilen, but it is better than my 99.

Being a 1 piece stock the Sako feels the most like a bolt action. I do a lot of my hunting with a bolt action so I find that an advantage.

Try one for yourself. If you are not happy you should be able to sell it and get your investment back.

NRA Patron Member.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I knew someone that had one and was looking to sell it reasonably priced I might think about it. HINT HINT HINT. wink

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The finest lever ever!

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have had two of these, wish I had one or both still. The trigger was very nice for a lever gun. The only think I can think of that I was not fond of was unloading with a round in the chamber. An empty round of brass will eject fine, however you could not easily unload a loaded round. The ejection port was not long enough to eject a loaded round. I had to use a small screw driver and push it off the extractor. This was a real pain sometimes, and may be a turn off depending how you hunt.

RINO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rino - In regards to the loaded rounds not ejecting fully, I never had that problem if I kept the length of my rounds at or under standard length, 2.810 I believe. Never had the problem with any factory loaded rounds.

NRA Patron Member.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I loaded them at max length for the box mag, and still did not think it was touching the lands and groves. I only shot Nosler 150 gr. and a whole bunch of pulled 168 gr. boat tail hollow points, which came out of federal match ammo. They both shot very well but would not eject a live round.

RINO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear what you are saying, but for sure the ejection port will only handle loads that are standard length. Forget all about trying to seat bullets to touch the lands or loading to max magazine length in these firearms. That said when you load to standard length they work just fine.

NRA Patron Member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 74 invisible), 3,198 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.