Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Some of those good publik servants "get off" pushing around Joe Publik Taxpayer.

There is some truth to that statement, but some "Joe Publik Taxpayers" cry about be being oppressed for profit, fun or sense of importance. Lots of them.

Hey I love profit! "Profit" is a necessary part of the business process - (and reward for certain kinds of risk and talent - often likened to "entreprenuership!")

No "whining" from me on that one! smirk

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Admittedly, I disagree with "no knock" warrants, Asset forfeiture laws, and cops that are actually bullies with a badge. However, when I was hoofing along an Iowa Interstate on a dark night because I had a blowout and had neglected to check whether the spare was serviceable, I sure was glad to see the State Trooper show up. He not only called a tow truck for me, he gave me a ride to the service station. Turned out to be a shooter on top of it.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
"over-professionalization" of police departments.

Casey

Please elaborate.

First, let emphasize; I live in the small town where I grew up (well most of the time I live there). Some of the police and deputies in my county I have known all my life, some are longtime family friends.

There was a very good post on a thread about police a several years ago about the distinction between peace officers vs police officers. To put it simply, a peace officer is keenly aware he is a member of the community and a citizen--and acts like it, a police officer knows only he works for the government--and acts like it.

Don't get me wrong, you rarely see me participate in the cop threads here. I have certain degree of sympathy for police--they are at the bottom of the totem pole, and are often the ones who get the blame while prosecutors, judges, and other various legal leeches evade any responsibility....... wink

Casey

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/09/09.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just curious. I have noted that while most people would prefer police officers to be a "part of the community", friends and neighbors, most common actual complaints are that officers did not behave professionally, but emotionally.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's hard to be part of the community when the community avoids contact with you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
It's hard to be part of the community when the community avoids contact with you.

Never thought of it quite like that.
Very true IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Why do you think that is?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well sir, up till this point in the thread, those who said they avoided contact with the police mentioned that they did so because it cut down on their chances of having a bad encounter. I can accept that at face value. I won't get killed in a skydiving accident if I never jump out of an airplane.

That said, the communities we live in are often larger then they were when we were all growing up. The average policeman in any given community doesn't know as many citizens as he, or she, used to. The opportunities to police like we used to 15 years ago are gone.

I am sure that there is plenty of room for improvement in the area of customer service. I can see how attitudes and tempers can run short on both sides.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
CrimsonTide----Thank you for your reply. The insight from LEO's provides an opportunity to see the "other side of the coin". Stay safe!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Innocent fleeing from police does one thing: it provides excellent probable cause for a search.

God bless those who flee, and those who bring them cookies.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
People actually get fleas from the police?????

Must be from the K9 unit. laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gene L

God bless those who flee, and those who bring them cookies.

and prayer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To be frank, I haven't read all of this thread. On a related note, however, I recommend that any staunch, unabashed LEO supporter read writer John Grisham's 2006 non-fiction book "The Innocent Man". The book deals with events in the 1980's in a small Oklamaha town and outlines how either inadequate (even dishonest maybe) police officers and prosecutors can ruin the lives of their citizens.

Grisham is most noted for his many books of fiction involving the legal field, many of which have been made into successful motion pictures. He is also a lawyer (possibly former now) so can review events from a professional legal standpoint.

If you can read this without having some nightmares you are a better person than I am.

It is stories like this that for years have made me refer to criminal law as the "legal" system as opposed to the "justice" system.

I know and have worked with many police officers and know they are not all bad. I have also heard the background on many other stories involving LEO's which leave them in anything but a favourable light.

This is put forward for what its worth. Some of you would probably have your eyes opened by some of the happenings which Grisham outlines in the book.

Jim

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Not cool grin !!

My K9 advises you to stay out of his AO or he'll show you just how "dirty" he is.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Not cool grin !!

My K9 advises you to stay out of his AO or he'll show you just how "dirty" he is.

George

Will he be nice to us George if we carry Milkbones at all times?
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's taken him six years to warm up to my other Sgt. (when the K9 is in the cruiser). The secret: Every time Bill approached the car, he flicked a few pieces of my dog's food (scoffed from my office) into the cruiser.

Approach him (us) when we're OUT of the car and you're GTG.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like serious business!

James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Innocent fleeing from police does one thing: it provides excellent probable cause for a search.

It only provides excellent probable cause because the government lawyers say it does.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Supreme Court says it does.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

It only provides excellent probable cause because the government lawyers say it does.

Common sense agrees with the Supreme Court.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 89 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.