Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hello folks.

Was at the gun show yesterday hoping to find a Ruger Security Six, but all I found was one fixed-sight [police] Service Six in .38 special. Was pretty clean in good shape, but in the .38 and not the .357. Fellow was asking $365.

My question, can a .38 special Service Six be converted to a .357 mag? YES, they have the same bore size, and I realize a ton of details and other questions come with that one too, but what I really need to ask/know .....

Are the frames the same size on the Service Six? Speed Six? Security Six?

If the answer is "No," no sense in trying to proceed any further.

But if the frame sizes are correct. "possibilities" then become available.

I realize several things would have to be addressed besides just swapping out a .38 cylinder for a .357 cylinder.

Do all the Ruger "security" revolvers have the same frame size?

Anyone reading this thread, who is intimately familiar with the old[er] Ruger "Security" revolvers, could a [police] Service Six be converted to a Security Six? Thank you!

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe that it IS 'possible' to do this conversion.

The Security Six and all of it's 'variants' were built on the same robust medium-size frame with heavy duty parts.

The Service Six & Police Service Six were introduced to cash in on the Law Enforcement market.

Like the Security Six, the Service Six was mostly chambered in .357 Magnum. But since many Police Departments required .38 Spl. ammunition only ... Ruger also chambered Service Six revolvers in .38 Spl.

I don't know what re-chambering would cost you $$$ ? ... but a Service Six .38 Spl. in 'nice' AND ORIGINAL condition would be a very desirable aquisition. These 'old' Ruger Security Six type revolvers are becoming much popular in demand and will only increase in value.

I'd leave this one alone AS IS ... and maybe eventually buy another Ruger SS chambered for the .357 Mag.

Last edited by P_Weed; 11/08/09. Reason: AND ORIGINAL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what prices are where you live but I think at $365 you may already be upside down on that gun before you start grinding on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RufusG
I don't know what prices are where you live but I think at $365 you may already be upside down on that gun before you start grinding on it.

Interesting how you used the word "grinding" in your answer. smirk

I didn't get that piece, altho I'm sure I could get the dealer to knock off some $$$ since he's been holding it quite awhile.

As for the family of Security/Service Sixes being built on the same robust medium frame, that sounds encouraging! I'll keep looking.

Thanks fellas. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by RufusG

Interesting how you used the word "grinding" in your answer. smirk

Now that you mention it "reaming" is probably more appropriate. smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No worries!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You will need a .357 cylinder, different heat treating used on the .38.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks TLee.

But is it "mostly" that simple?

Or does one also have to worry about cylinder timing?

Fit of the forcing cone to the cylinder face?

etc., etc., etc. ??

Is the metallurgy and specs of a .38 barrel the same as a .357 barrel? Thanks again.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, you'd have to worry about timing, and I don't think Ruger would do it for you, which means you'd have to pay a smith. Then you'd be way upside down. I'd wait for a 357 to come along--there's usually one or two at most shows. Around here you could get a stainless Sec. Six in great shape for $375--a little more if you want 6" or with an original box and you'd have adj. sights, but the square butt like the Serv. Six.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Actually, the .38 SPL. barrel DOES have a 'faster' rifling twist to it - than does the barrel for the more powerful .357 Mag.

But I wouldn't worry about it, IF you convert the .38 to a .357, all that will happen is ... you will BUZZ up them .357's.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SteveS
Yes, you'd have to worry about timing, and I don't think Ruger would do it for you, which means you'd have to pay a smith. Then you'd be way upside down. I'd wait for a 357 to come along--there's usually one or two at most shows. Around here you could get a stainless Sec. Six in great shape for $375--a little more if you want 6" or with an original box and you'd have adj. sights, but the square butt like the Serv. Six.

Thanks fellas.

I attend Seattle and Woorsheengtun gun shows, and while I've long been a fan of the medium framed Security-Service Six wheelguns, theyve suddenly become quite popular around here and a hot commodity! $375 is near the ball park, altho I don't much like 6inch Sec-6's.

What I ultimately want is a 4in blued Sec6 with a round butt in a very compact package, to use and pack as a sidearm in CONUS. If I need more power than a 4in .357 with 180grn hardcast, I'd better change to a larger bore!

Don't know if Ruger ever offered a rd butt Sec6 in anything but a 2 3/4in. I have a stainless 4in Security-6 I'd gladly trade toward a blue 4incher.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
ADDED: I might end up keeping my stainless SS4, but if I manage to find a .38Spl Speed or Service-6 for the right price, I might go ahead and also pay the custon-$$$ to have it modded into my perfect "packer." But I have to still find that candidate piece to start with.

There have been a few posters at 24HrCF who had custom work done on their wheelguns - and of course that kind of 'smithing ain't cheap, it [usually] sounds quite satisfying!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think at that money, you could find a nice S&W 19 or 66....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rifle
I think at that money, you could find a nice S&W 19 or 66....

Gag! (soorry) smirk

If I wanted a piece that big might as well opt for a GP100, or say heck with it and get a .45C or .44M.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Duck - the 19 and 66 aren't any bigger than the Security Six.

$350 - ish is way high (about $100 in my area) for a used __ Six Ruger. I'm not aware of them being offered in round-butt, but you could take your stainless 4" and have it modified to RB. You'll need custom grips then, I think.

My 4" Security Six wears Hogue Monogrips. Makes a very nice combination.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Duck - the 19 and 66 aren't any bigger than the Security Six.

$350 - ish is way high (about $100 in my area) for a used __ Six Ruger. I'm not aware of them being offered in round-butt, but you could take your stainless 4" and have it modified to RB. You'll need custom grips then, I think.

My 4" Security Six wears Hogue Monogrips. Makes a very nice combination.

The inflated Seattle-prices are what the SS6's are going for presently. As for schmidt's - not fond of them. Plus I already have the round-butt Pachmyers I'd use.

Guess I should email a couple pistol smiths to see what they say they could do for me ..... And I'll keep looking for another blued Ruger - .357 preferably. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude,the 19/66 fits in the same holster as the Ruger?
I'd look at resale value as well....but I've said enough.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

"Dude" the point of this thread isn't whether "you" like 19's or 66's. I HATE them!

resale value is therefore moot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

"Dude" the point of this thread isn't whether "you" like 19's or 66's. I HATE them!

resale value is therefore moot.

Dare to be different!

Some of us just happen to like Rugers better, and there are good reasons for that. Resale net isn't going to be much different on any revolver that is not "unfired".

Case in point - my Ruger SS that I bought for $150 could be sold today easily for $250. That's what - about 60% profit (not accounting for inflation)? I can't quite do that margin with my S&W. Not saying it can't be done - just that it ain't such a big deal.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To each his own...good luck with it.

Come on America,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.