Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use either steel-bed or Devcon.

I use to use Marine-Tex but, now I much prefer steel-bed or the Devcon by a fair margin.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used quite a few different products over the years; some specifically made for firearms, some not. My favorite for most use is the original Acraglas. It's a bit more difficult to use and a little bit quick in warm weather but it's hard, bonds well, and is impervious to almost any solvent. The Devcon products, Acraglas gel, J-B, and many others, will degrade if in contact with Hoppes#9. That's not a good trait in a material used on a rifle!
I also prefer the Acraglas to cast glass pillars. I will occasionally use Acraglas as a foundation bed then bed over it with Devcon. I do this because the Devcon will usually give a good final fit more easily than the Acraglas.
In using the Acraglas, I always add lots of fibreglass floc to thicken the mix. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where are these online tutorials that were spoken of in this thread? I'll be undertaking my first bedding job and would LOVE the tips!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
I
IAK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Selmer, I'm not sure what the rules are in posting links to other forums so I'm sending you a PM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tried all of the mentioned formulas and they all work but I bedded my 30-06 and my 458 twenty-six years ago using Devcon mixed with iron filings and they have been in constant use here in Alaska ever since. Both are holding up great so I'll recommend the Devcon.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks IAK, good etiquette on the link posting as well.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read this whole thread, and I wonder what the point of adding to the epoxy mixes is, i.e. iron filings or fiberglass flocking. I assume flocking is just fiberglass cloth pulled apart/shredded into fine fibers? I imagine it's an attempt to add strength to the epoxy, but is it useful in any of the mixes, or just some?

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I added the iron filings - actually they were cuttings from under a lathe in a machine shop - to the Devcon when I built my 458 because it was the first big bore I had ever done and it seemed like a good idea. I can't say if it helped but twenty five years later it is still holding up.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steelbed is my hands down favorite. Tried all of the others and they wok OK as well, it just seems that steelbed comes out better and is hell for strong for any rifle. It is easy to mix as well at 50-50. I have probably done 30 rifles with it now and am very happy with the results.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some observations regarding epoxies in general: 1)Heating it, either to thin it or speed up the cure time will degrade it. If it's a structural application (ie: stock bedding) it won't have the integrity of non-heated epoxy. As a barrier coat in finishing I don't see where it matters. In general don't thin epoxies with solvents or try any fancy heating tricks- you'll only be tricking yourself. 2) If you wish to add more to a previous application that is fully cured be aware of a phenomenon called "amine blush" which occurs as a by-product of the curing process and is identified by the kind of wet, shiny, thin sheen that appears on the surface. It must be removed with a solvent. Failure to do so will result in a poor bond between the two applications. Scuffing the washed areas with sandpaper is further insurance of a good bond. 3) Most thickeners (most commonly colloidal silica) in powder form are nasty to breath in. They are an insidious cause of asbestiosis. One definitely wants to wear a face mask when mixing it into epoxy. I'm told by industry spokesmen that once the thickened epoxy cures it's safe. Sanding it won't re-release it into the air.

This is one area with direct cross-over knowledge between the wooden boat shops I spent most of the last two decades working in and firearms technology. The above examples I have witnessed/experienced myself, including a friend who has to live with an oxygen tank because he refused to wear a face mask.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.