Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Going thru the vault I realized last night several guns don't have my old favorite, Uncle Mike's scope covers, the ones with discs at both ends and a rubber band holding them under tension. I like them as they can be popped off easily, to fall to the side still hanging from the forarm by the addition of another rubber band in addition to their supplied one.

But, I can't seem to find them on their website.

Anyone know if they still have them, or if some other maker took their design and sell a similar cover?

Or, is there something better out there? I dislike the Butler creeks, as they cause problems sliding the gun in a soft sided gun case.

Thanks

Allen

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Best damn scope covers ever made--I love it when hunters use the push-button yuppie flippie uppie covers--leaves more elk alive for me.

Alas, they were so good that Uncle Mike's stopped selling them a decade or so ago. Orignally made by Ka-Ram-Ba, then by Anderson, then bought out by Uncle Mike's sometime in the late 70's. Uncle Mike's still make them for the Burris scopes, but they are a bit different and I don't like them as well.

I have a local old timer gun dealer/gun smith that bought a large stock of the Anderson/Uncle Mike's caps and various rubber bands. and every time I go in to his shop I have him make me up a set--even for scopes that I might own in the future crazy I have even talked to him about buying his whole inventory before he closes his shop.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

Yea, I got a set of those Burris on a variable pistol scope many moons ago, I believe mine were solid plastic with stepped rings to be more universal fit, and the ends were split for the rubber band vs clamped on the Uncle mikes design which were soft rubber.

Too bad them not being made...

Allen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely my favorites! I am disappointed they are no longer available, but since I seem to keep adding Burris scopes, the pain is not so bad.

To replace the Uncle Mikes that I have lost or broken, I have been buying Bikini covers and they seem to work well. Just not as neat as the Uncle Mikes.

405wcf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it when hunters use the push-button yuppie flippie uppie covers--leaves more elk alive for me.

The Butler Creek flip ups have never cost me an elk,in fact they have made it possible for me to kill elk in snow and rain that I might not have killed otherwise.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I still have some of the old Uncle Mikes covers with elastic bands. I believe that I have three left. Two for Leupold and one for Monarch, different sizes. Send me your lens OD measurements and if you will pay postage you can have the darn things for postage only.

Last edited by Oldtrader3; 11/10/09.

CDR3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I too am in need of something for a Z5 that I have coming. I have the Leupold Aluminas on my varmint rifle, which is more of a bench gun.

Open to suggestions as we have rain forecast for our opener (2 weekends so this can change) this year...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

The Butler Creek flip ups have never cost me an elk,in fact they have made it possible for me to kill elk in snow and rain that I might not have killed otherwise.

The Anderson style caps are much faster, seal better, last longer, are more reliable, and a fairly elegant, simpler solution.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure what the Anderson type is. Butler Creek have worked well for me.
Hardest part is buying them to fit without the scope in my hand.

stumpy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Anderson style caps are much faster, seal better, last longer, are more reliable, and a fairly elegant, simpler solution

How can you possibly be faster than opening the caps with your thumbs as you shoulder the rifle? confused By the time the rifle is shouldered,the caps are open.Of course you do have to be co-ordinated enough to push two buttons at the same time with your thumbs as you shoulder your rifle. grin

As far as sealing goes,if you choose the right size,they seal very well,and they don't open accidentally.But you do have to be able to select the correct size.

As far as reliability goes,I have never had one fail,even at -30.

As far as lasting longer,the caps that I mounted on a few scopes nearly 20 years ago still function just fine.I guess you don't consider 20 years to be long enough for lens covers to last.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Uncle Mike's were the QD (quick detachable) scope covers and unfortunately they were discontinued a few years ago. I prowl gunshops and gun shows for them (found a set for a Leupold 2.5-8x36 a few months ago). They are my favorites, but I have some Butler Creek covers too and they work okay, as does the Alumina (too pricey though).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Butler creeks work well for me. Used calipers and chart for good fits. I agree, Alumina's are too pricey. I am not sure I have ever seen the Uncle Mike's but am curious and will watch for them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm always on the prowl at local gun shows ETC. looking for the old Durfee & Deming KA-RAM-BA covers. Nothing better in design I.M.H.O.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A fellow who owns a gun store in Portland told me that Uncle Mike's quit making the scope covers we all love because some nimrod has a lawsuit against them. According to the story, the nimrod flipped off the front cap and the thing (naturally) came back and hit him in the eye. $350,000 worth of lawsuit.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
where do you get those covers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never had an issue with Butlers Flip ups either and have had some for 15+ years. One more than one occasion I would say they gave me a shot opportunity when I probably wouldn't have had if they wouldn't have been on my scope (ie: heavy snow/rain)

Without a second thought I'm flipping them up as soon as I shoulder my rifle and it's become second nature to flip them closed as soon as I put it down.

Now on the other hand they did cost a friend of mine a shot one time, he's not that coordinated though. Sometimes he actually scares me smile

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been using the BC's since they first came out and were introduced as factory standard on the Redfield Golden Five Star scopes. I believe that was around 1989, perhaps earlier.

I still have a set from 1992 and have yet to have them fail, leak, flip open unexpectedly, or do anything but perform flawlessly. If there was something better for equal loot, I'd buy it in a minute, but I don't see that happening.

The last bungee cord specials I owned got used for a perpetual motion test that recorded fps to nearest dumpster by their own power. This same test was performed a few more times by many other similiar devices to prove that the evidence collected, or in this case, discarded, was in fact scientific.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
grin grin grin
LMAO
You obviously won the race to the dumpster...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Butler Creek flip-ups have leaked on me in an all-day drizzle... They've also NOT leaked. I've also broken a little red button on an ocular on one.

Decent product, cheap, and the only option I'm aware of for scopes other than newer Leupolds. The Aluminas are a superior cap, but obscenely expensive. I think the last pair I bought was pushing $100!!!

Flipping the caps up is totally natural to me. I had the covers connected with the rubber bands on a Burris 3-9, and didn't like those at ALL.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
178 members (32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.