-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just wondering if anyone out there has actually seen one of these new packs from Sitka? I've checked out their Bivy 45 pack and like it but have been looking for a new daypack and trying to figure out which might be best. The Flash 20 looks good, but the Flash 32 could also work great for a bigger daypack possible overnight bivy type pack. It would be used mainly for day hunting in back country and hopefully be used to haul out a critter if needed.

So, anybody played around with either of these?? Pros/Cons? Any opinions on them would be appreciated, I hate to have to order one of each to see but may have to.
Thanks for any imput you have on these

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Oregonmuley,

We have both the Flash 20 and Flash 32 in stock. These two packs are made of the same great materials as the Bivy 45. The Flash 20 could pass as an overnight bivy pack but having compact, ultralight gear would be necessary to ensure enough space to get part of an animal out. The Flash 32 is definitely more forgiving from a space standpoint for a night or two away from base camp and bringing home the trophy. Both compress down extremely well much like the Bivy 45 pack. Here are a few pics of a Flash 20. I can get you more of either if you would like. Just let me know what views you want to look at.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

csHigh-Mountain-Outfitters.com
http://www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

Snowmobile Gear, MotorFist
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Any idea of the weight of the 20 or the 32 when empty?? Don't need the exact weight but just a ballpark would do. I'm thinking that for most day hunts when your walking in a few miles or so the Flash 20 looks about perfect - your pictures make it look a lot bigger than in the catalog so it may be the one.
Thanks again.

"Team 7MM-08"
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Oregonmuley,

I called in and they (Sitka staffer) said 3.1 pounds for the Flash 20...which would make it exaclty one pound less than the Badlands 2200.

If you're truly just looking for a day pack, I'd think real hard about the Sitka Ascent at 1.5 pounds. I have one and consider it the ultimate day pack after having tried about everything else.

What I REALLY like about it, is the 3/4 design allows me to cross-sling my rifle on my back when I'm hiking the steep stuff. Even a light weight pack like the Flash 20 make that proposition difficult if not impossible. The Ascent easilty holds everything I need in a day hunt, while allowing me to store the emergency stuff most of us drag around. It's 1,400 cubic inches, but it's a very "usable" 1,400 cubic inches if that makes sense.

I even packed out a front quarter on a smallish 4 point muley last fall in a pinch.

Last edited by dwc5050; 07/22/09.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Weights per my gram weenie scale of two test subjects ...

Flash 20 - 3 lbs 5.1 oz

Flash 32 - 4 lbs .5 oz

The Flash 20 is by far the roomiest 2000 ci pack I have worked with in the past 15 years. Same can be said for the 32 as well. I also like how the pack material is just a little "stretchy". Makes over-stuffing the pack much easier. Even the Ascent 14 is very usable as dwc5050 mentions; though I'd personally rather bivy out of the 20 in a pinch grin .

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well it looks like the 20 may be the winner. I will get on your website in the AM and get one ordered.
Thanks much for the info.
Frank

"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
You are welcome to the info anytime.

Thanks for your business!!!

Mike

www.AlpineMoto.net

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered it - and I get a free gift what I deal!!!

"Team 7MM-08"
C
C
Guys, I'm thinking of the same Sitka 20, as compared to the Ascent. Would the Ascent hold tripod+spotting scope??

Cheers.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
CayoWSM,

Unless you have a very compact spotter (e.g. Nikon 13-30x50 ED) /tripod and plan to carry minimal daytime gear, I think you will get more versatility with the Flash 20 than the Ascent 14.

Mike

Sitka Gear Backpacks
High Mountain Outfitters

www.AlpineMoto.net

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hi, Mike, I bought the Sitka Stormlite Pants from your site the other day and everything went smoothly. Thank you very much!

I am now into the decision of buying a backpack and because my experience with Sitka has been so good, the most comfortable outdoor clothing I have worn brfore, and it works too! I think I will buy Sitka's.

I yet have to decide between the 20 and the 32 and would like to ask if you do not mind posting some pictures of the 32, just like you did with the 20.

Does the 20 have side access to the inside? Does it have a separate pocket for the spotting scope? And for the tripod? Do they both have a "hood" or rain cover? Can you please give me the dmensions of both?

Basically I am looking for a day pack that has room for scope and tripod, lunch bag, a 30 cu. i. thermos, all the layers of clothing I might not be wearing all the time like extra socks, vest, softshell, rainwear, and smaller items like cellphone, pocket knife... about 20lbs maximum.

By what I am using now, made by Deuter, I feel I would need around 2600 cu. i. exactly halfway between the two Sitkas! I would rather err on the side of the extra room, but I don�t know, if the design is as good as with the rest of the Sitka gear I have tried, the 20 might do.

Thanks very much in advance for your advise!

BBerg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up the Flash 32 from Mike and I am pleased. I have not had it out in the field yet but it seems nice. Very light for its size and it can cinch/compress down if its not loaded. It feels and looks smaller than a badlands 2800 and a Camelbak Ranger that is 2800 as well. Still have not loaded down much but it looks quite capable. Hope this helps.
Lee

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a Flash 32 for a month or so and have used it for elk here in Colo. and mule deer in Wyo. I like the size and have yet to use up all of the storeage space. I has lots of little pockets and also side zip access. It is very light and sucks down real small. It would work overnite for sure. It just has lots more possibilities than the 20 imho which I have looked at a couple of times at sportsman's. The frame sits away from your back which would be helpful in hot weather. I did not use it to pack much weight however. I used my MR CC for that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you Lee and Terry,

It looks like the 32 makes a lot of sense, my only concern is if it is not unnecesarily big.

How much bigger is the 32 than the 20? Can anybody tell?

BBerg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure b/c I have not compared the 2 but the 32 is a pretty small pack. I was very surprised to see the size of it in person. It looks and feel much smaller but will expand out to hold lots of gear. I have a G2 Horn hunter which a bowhunting pack that has 1700cc. It is only slightly smaller than the 32 when cinched down and it weighs more.
If you want, I can probably take some pics of it and email them to you. I am away from home today but could probably do it tomorrow. Just pm me if you want any pics.
Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 11/07/09.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
PM sent!

BBerg

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hi BBerg,

Sorry for the delay on the pics ... We have been swamped the past few days with new orders of Sitka Gear and Kenetrek Boots.

A few pics of the Sitka Gear Flash 32. This one happens to be in Mountain Mimicry; but the Optifade version is identical.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Flash_32_2.JPG (55.82 KB, 4642 downloads)
Last edited by HighMountainOutfitters; 11/10/09.

www.AlpineMoto.net

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.