Print Thread
Hop To
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
What are the differences between the old Vari X series and the newer VX series?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check this link out. I saved it to favorites. Never know when it will come in useful. For me often.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/resources/faq/

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As best I can understand it, the short simple answer is that the VX-I corresponds optically to the old Vari-XII, the VX-II corresponds to the Vari-XIII and that both the VX-III and the VX-3 are better yet. Apparently the VX-3 has worthwhile improvements over the VX-III. There are other differences also.

Details can be found here:

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MyInfo81/Answerbook/findanswers.aspx

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rifleman = Vari X-IIc
VX-II = Vari X-III

The Rifleman is the Vari X-IIc in a newly designed maintube with threading for the Alumina products.

The VX-I has Multicoat4 on the outside lenses and the micro-friction 1/4 MOA adjustments that make it different from the Vari X-IIc. It also is threaded for the Alumina products.

The VX-II has the multicoat4 lens system all the way through and the 1/4 MOA "coin" click adjustments. Basically making it the Vari X-III packaged in a Vari X-II maintube. It has the fast focus eyepiece and is threaded for the Alumina products.

The VX-III has the index matched lens system and the 1/4 MOA finger click adjustments all in the Vari X-III maintube. Of course, it has the fast focus eyepiece and is threaded for the Alumina products.

We re-introduced the AO on the 4.5-14x40mm this year.

There are no real apples to apples comparisons to make here, but the Rifleman price dropped $20 off of the Vari X-IIc price and added the threading. The VX-I added the micro-friction 1/4 MOA adjustments, Multicoat4 external lenses and the threading for the same price as the Vari X-IIc, the X-II has the functionality of the Vari X-III with the fast focus eye-piece and the threading for about $150.00 less and the VX-III has the Index Matched lenses system, 1/4 MOA finger click adjustments, fast focus eye-piece and the threading for about the same price as the Vari X-III.

Another take:

The Rifleman scopes are fully coated with a coating of magnesium fluoride on all lens glass surfaces providing 82% of the available light back to the shooters eye. The windage and elevation adjustments are a silent friction adjustment marked in 1/2" inch increments on the dial. The scopes offer a new Wide Duplex with the thin section opening being twice as open as the Standard Duplex. The scopes are matte finish with a new sleek ergonomic maintube design. No Custom Shop services are available on a Rifleman scope. The scopes are waterproof and are covered by the Leupold Lifetime Guarantee. (The Rifleman scope is basically the old Vari-X II in a new body).

The VX-I scopes are MultiCoat 4 on the exterior eyepiece lens and the objective lens and use an industry standard coating throughout, providing approximately 85% of the available light back to the shooters eye. The windage and elevation adjustments are a silent friction adjustment marked in 1/4" inch increments on the dial. The scopes offer a Standard Duplex reticle or a Wide Duplex reticle. The scopes are offered in black gloss or matte finish. The scopes are waterproof and covered by the Leupold Lifetime Guarantee. Custom Shop services are available. (The VX-I is an improvement over the Vari-X II in that it has the MultiCoat 4 external lenses, 1/4 moa friction adjustment as opposed to the 1/2 moa, fast focus diopter adjustment and the eye piece and objective are threaded for Alumina products

The VX-II scopes are MultiCoat 4 providing 92% of the available light back to the shooters eye. The windage and elevation adjustments are an audible click adjustment in 1/4" inch click increments on the dial. The scopes offer multiple reticle options. The scopes are offered in black gloss or matte finish and some models are available in silver finish. The scopes are waterproof and covered by the Leupold Lifetime Guarantee. Custom Shop services are available. (The VX-II line is basically the Vari-X III optics in the Vari-X II body).

The VX-III scopes use the new Matched Index lens system, providing 94% to 98% of the available light back to the shooters eye depending on the particular VX-III model. The windage and elevation adjustments are an audible click adjustment in 1/4" inch click increments on the dial and low profile adjustments are finger adjustable (no special tools required). The scopes offer multiple reticle options. The scopes are offered in black gloss or matte finish and some models are available in silver finish. Some models are available in a 30mm maintube. These selected hunting models, VX-III 1.75-6x32mm, 2.5-8x36mm, 3.5-10x40mm, 3.5-10x50mm, 4.5-14x40mm, and 4.5-14x50mm scopes provide a simple built-in range estimating feature that uses the Duplex reticle. The scopes are waterproof and covered by the Leupold Lifetime Guarantee. Custom Shop Services are available.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
all I know is that I have an old friction adjust VariX II 2-7 and its one of the best scopes that I have in terms of holding zero. It has been on a spring air rifle for 3 years and is still dead on period. If you can find an old one buy it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$100 to $200. grin

There is a very fine line between idiotic and clever. Most internet posters have no idea where it is.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Old Dog
$100 to $200. grin

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Old Dog
$100 to $200. grin

Ain't that the truth......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
DMB excellent!!

I have seen variXIIIs with the friction adjustments. I was told that line changed but the name didn't, some time ago. I thought I had a defective scope or worse a knock-off, but I was assured that it was a Luepold variXIII.

Can you comment on differences on those? From reading this I wonder if those are likened to a rifleman at the price of a VariXIII with click adjustments.

Proverbs

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have an old Vari-X III with friction adjustments, not the brightest in the world with its basic lens coatings but it is clear and reliable.

The VX-II isn't quite a Vari-X III in a different package, though it is close. The lens system of the Vari-X III is a newer design and is optically superior. Whether or not the difference is enough to be of any consequence is a different matter.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
I have an old Vari-X III with friction adjustments, not the brightest in the world with its basic lens coatings but it is clear and reliable.

Yup, great scope too me, but if I'm paying $250-$300 for one I want the click adjustments.

Proverbs

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For me the lens coatings would be the bigger deal. A new VX-I is going to be brighter than an old friction Vari-X III.

Last edited by mathman; 11/12/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A search would have brought up many explanations of the differences. Here is one from October 5th:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Whats_the_difference_Vari_X#Post3359578

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.