-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a Griffin & Howe mount. You really have to reload for that old girl. You already have fire formed brass..........

Yep, that's the range I used to go to, up in Peekskill

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Yeah, I'll probably start reading up on it, see what I need, but it'll have to be for next year. Kinda strapped for this year with the holidays coming up and all. Kids first.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ACCUMAN, also try Graf & sons, and look on GB - I have found ammo on there at very reasonable (and unreasonable) prices

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
iambrb: The 1950 model came in a couple of variations. Mine is an early 3 digit serial number rifle marked 1950 model, 270 Win.. It is basically the same as a 1924 (Express??? model). Cocking piece safety only, straight bolt handle. Seems they used some remaining inventory to start that model before switching to the "improved" version.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one, It was a class rifle, but there was a bit of head space and the bore was a little over sized for 264 inch bullets. Brass was hard to get, Norma makes it from time to time. Shooting one is a handloader's proposition, or you could have Superior out in Stugis make up some loads for you. A while ago I saw a couple of new Steyer Mannlichers so chambered. A limited run I guess. While they are great guns, they pretty much been out of production since the Germans took over Austria. After the War, they changed like a lot of things. I know a Smith that thought about recreating them, even with CNC they fig they would have to get around 5K per gun. They were well crafted rifles, they made just three a day. A 6.5 x 55 would make a lot more sense, since, cases and loaded ammo is easier to come by. Finding a good one takes a lot of looking around, and you will pay for it, Take an UNLA M 24 action and you could do up a slick Mannlicher Pattern rifle that would shoot lights out and be a joy to carry for not much more that what you would pay for one of the 1903's these days. Lon Paul would be who I would go to. You can talk to New England Custom Guns. In NH they can fit a side safety for you, that works and it keeps the value of the rifle. The do excellent work.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
stocker,
My Model 1950 has the side safety, but is marked ".30-06 Spfld Express". It has 2-leaf rear sight, hooded front with a barrel band, ebony forend tip. Shoots cloverleafs with everything.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
gmsemel,

You can find a new Steyr SBS Classic with wood stock in 6.5x55mm for around $1600 if you look.

R
RJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

Check out eschoder.com

Eric Schoder from Austria, who was a employee at the old M-S plant is making the original Model 1903 but for a heafty price tag, also shows a complete parts list, if needed.

You boys from Westchester must remember "Parker" in New Rochelle.
Great little German gunsmith there, didn't say much but listened a lot and did great work. Was told he used to work for G&H in NYC.
I'm going back late 60's early 70's.

Great Thread, Thanks.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of doubleset triggers (rear is borken @ blade, but base is there) with kick-off sear for sale @ GB, I may run them here. Hope I didn't tick off a moderator with that. I only say it 'cause I know that Schoder guy has the trigger for like $80 USD, and the whole set less the sear for like $500+

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.