-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Wow, this sounds like a great idea,.......NOT !

I don't think it is , anyhoo,

GTC

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33876408/ns/world_news-americas/

Mexican business groups call for U.N. troops
5,000 soldiers aren't enough protection, Ciudad Juarez business owners say
Image: Soldiers burn seized drugs
The area in and around Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has become a war zone between soldiers and drug traffickers. Here, Mexican soldiers outside the city burn seized cocaine and marijuana on Nov. 5.
View related photos
Jesus Alcazar / AFP-Getty Images

Interactive: Mexican drug cartels

Learn more about how Mexican drug cartels are extending their reach farther into the U.S.

Slideshow
BLOODSHED IN JUAREZ

Mexico under siege
The death toll is spiraling throughout Mexico as a war between the country's government and the drug cartels intensifies.

MEXICO CITY - Business groups in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez said Wednesday they are calling for United Nations peacekeepers to quell the drug-related violence that has given their city one of the highest homicide rates in the world.

Groups representing assembly plants, retailers and other businesses said they will submit a request to the Mexican government and the Inter American Human Rights Commission to ask the U.N. to send help.

"This is a proposal ... for international forces to come here to help out the domestic (security) forces," said Daniel Murguia, president of the Ciudad Juarez chapter of the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism. "There is a lot of extortions and robberies of businesses. Many businesses are closing."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The government has sent more than 5,000 soldiers to the city across the border from El Paso, Texas, but killings, extortions and kidnappings continue.

7 homicides a day
Ciudad Juarez has had 1,986 homicides through mid-October this year � averaging seven a day in the city of 1.5 million people.

"We have seen the U.N. peacekeepers enter other countries that have a lot fewer problems than we have," Murguia said.

The groups appeared to be motivated by a sense of desperation and deep disappointment with the government's efforts to control crime in the city.

Soledad Maynez, president of the Ciudad Juarez Association of Maquiladoras, said the joint police-army operation to quell killings and crime have yielded no results.

Maynez said business and civic groups want U.N. peacekeepers or advisers in Ciudad Juarez.

"What we are asking for with the blue helmets (U.N. peacekeepers) is that we know they are the army of peace, so we could use not only the strategies they have developed in other countries ... but they also have technology," Maynez said.

Mexican troops have both helped train new local police recruits and taken on some patrolling tasks in the city.

Thousands of businesses said to leave
But a turf battle between rival drug gangs has not yielded, and extortionists and thieves � some probably related to the drug cartels � have taken advantage of the situation to target businesses. Maynez said thousands of shops, stores and other firms have closed or moved out of the city because of the situation.

Maynez said the United States could also contribute to the solution, adding that the U.S. might be forced to in its own interests.

"We know that sooner or later, the violence will spill over into our sister city of El Paso, Texas," he said.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U.N troops are peace keepers, Mexico doesn't need peace keepers at this time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of Mexico is a 3rd world country that lacks a viable middle class, so I'd welcome anything that would close down the Mexico to U.S. drug pipeline.

I think that the sale, distribution, and/or manufacture of illegal drugs should be a capital offense with a mandatory death penalty. No plea bargains, no over-flowing prisons, no BS. If drugs are a scourage on society, then the penalty for selling, distributing, and/or manufacturing them needs to be harsh. I also think that "felon in possession" should be a capital offense with a mandatory death penalty too.

The U.S. will never rid itself of drugs, because too many otherwise law-abiding people find it socially acceptable to use drugs.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Mexico were serious about fixing the problem, it would institute a draft. Bring back all of the men of fighting age.

Would fix two problems, actually.

Have an A1 Day!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Give peace a chance. Afterall, it takes a village, and most of these troups would likely be from real villages.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Agreed.
IMO, Mexico needs a better army and the will to use it.
They also badly need to get rid of the corruption in the government(police, etc.)

Good luck with that.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can see it now. Bring the u.n. into Mexico, next thing you know, the annointed one will use them to chase down the drug runners inside the U.S. I mean, why not, they're right there anyway <G> Tim.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Mexico needs a better army and the will to use it.
I'm all for giving them a demonstation, but the muslim in chief is likely not on the same page.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
WHICH side of the border? Really?

I got a feeling if UN troops were in Mexico, the drug czars would quickly make them wish they were fighting the Taliban in AF. I wonder how well heads would roll through doors with those nice blue helmets attached?

Seriously - we have the ability to stop the drug trafficking, illegal immigration, and "gun running", we just don't have the stomach for it.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hope they give them a compass and a map or Crossfire's likely to conquer the UN. grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I think you just nailed it , B., and the scenario is not without potential for some black humor.

I don't think they'd care for the assignment.

We really need that fence completed, and manned.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long as they stay on the southern side of the border go for it.
What that border needs is to hire a outfit like one that was simply called " The Company" that had cleaned up more in Western Africa in a few weeks with less than a tenth the men as the UN had done being there years. Then the UN cried "foul" and the "Company: had to leave and the problem returned.

We need badazz men to take care of bad problems. You don't use sissy PC tactics to solve real problems, cause the bad guys won't play fair..

What we're doing now is like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mexican Drug Lords don't F#(% around. A lot of people are going to die before the drugs stop coming across the border. The folks who are running our country don't want it stopped and the Mexican government doesn't really want it stopped and a whole bunch of buyers, sellers and users don't want it stopped. Otherwise it would be stopped. If the UN does go into Mexico, they will come into the United States, if only to get away from Mexico. There is nothing that those guys aren't capable of and they have worked very hard to build that reputation. To stamp it out would require ethnic cleansing and we really aren't into that any more.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As an aside - I was watching Long Range Hunter or some similar show on the outdoor channel last week where they were hunting coues deer, and ended up watching 5 drug smugglers through their scope sneaking overloaded backpacks full of dope across the border. Now who wants to bet when the cameras got turned off that there were at least a couple rounds going over those coyotes heads?

Last edited by bbassi; 11/12/09.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A constitutional amendment would allow us to use our own military to protect our borders...Or Obama might just appoint another czar to oversee a Civilian Security Force.

Somethings in the works!

"While the rationale for using the US military domestically had been debated for years, President Barack Obama appears intent on using our military at least until he can create his promised 'Civilian Security Force' which he said would be as big and powerful as the military," said political strategist Mike Baker.

Old News!

grin

Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.