Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
KC
Thanks for the additional routes you mentioned we will look at them on the map. We would like to keep base camp around 2 miles from the truck and then hunt further daily possibly bivy out. So we might be able to camp around Beckwith Pass and then hunt from there.

KC Thanks again

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OJF:

I checked maps too and realized that I made a mistake. It's not Shelf Creek, it's Cliff Creek. The basin above Cliff Creek is a good place for a base camp about 2 1/2 miles from trailheads.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
KC
Thanks for the info we are still looking at the maps and google earth and I have called the DOW checking on gate closures and access points. We are not sure where we are going to leave the truck. But we are still exercising and trying to get ready. The terrain looks to be really steep and rough, need to increase the cardio.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just got back from unit 54. No bugling at all last week. Shot at a bull and missed; passed on two small legal bulls. Where I hunt (Soap Creek), the elk numbers seem to be down...or they were hanging out on private land all week.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Larry in Colorado
Thanks for the info maybe they will be bugling when we get there.
I called the Game Warden a couple of weeks ago and he said Soap Creek road was closed due to fire and some other roads as well. We were looking at going to the end of Soap Creek road and going back in there. But after talking to him we decided to go in the Beaver Creek area.
Do you know if the fire is still burning and did you go to the end of the road?

IC B2

O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Larry
Thanks for the info called the Forest Service they said the road had been opened back up as the fire was being contained.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
In doing some research for next yr, I came across this year-old post.

KC, arent the places you mentioned near beckwith pass in unit 53 rather than 54? Its hard for me to tell by looking at my map.

Thanks

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Duckdog28:

The headwaters of Castle Creek area is in unit 54 and it always holds elk. It's way back in there and for all practicle purposes, only accessible for hunting using horses.

I'm busted. You've done your research well. Yes, the upper basin of Cliff Creek is in area 53. It's another area that holds elk but the backpack is shorter. However, you still need a young strong back and several days, or horses, to pack out an elk.

The main problem with these areas is that there's no horse rentals offered in Crested Butte. So you have to have your own horses or trailer them a long way.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Been there ,done that.It is a 3 hr pack to the head waters of Castle Creek.In fact that trip a few years ago caused me to reflect that I am too old for such nonsense.It took me three trips to get gear, food ,etc into the area, three trips to gstout with elk, and camp/gear.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the replies. Probably more than I want to tackle this year as I do not have horses of my own.

I assume the areas in 53/54 with easier(shorter hikes) are overrun with orange?

Good luck fellas.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.