24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is one of those never ending tail-chase discussions that in the end, all they prove is that ALL bullets are prone to failure or at least less than standard performance and there will always be folks with a bad experience. With good bullets like the TSX, Partition, AFrame, etc., the instances will be few and far between. I just look for consistency. For example, there is a prominent member of the Dallas Safari Club, you know one of those world-wide hunters with just about every species under their belt, from dik-dik to elephant to whitetail, you name it. He's experimented with all of them. His choice? TSX. That's good enough for me to try. jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/01/09.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anyone drop a tsx on the ground and get the end filled with dirt? Can this cause failure to open? One in my cartridge holder is like this - should I clean it out with a pin or something?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got back from an Oryx hunt in Texas where I used 180gr TSXs out of my 300 H&H @ 3000 fps MV. Took a nice (35") Oryx at a lazered 200 yards. Quartering away shot so I placed the bullet abaft the last rib and angled it forward to the opposite shoulder. Complete penetration and about a 40 plus caliber exit hole. LOTS of devastation inside as I suspect the bullet expanded dramatically as it traveresed the paunch and into the vitals. Animal walked about ten yards and dropped. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The TSX can be a great bullet (when it expands) or a schitty one (when not).
Personally I have had great luck with Horandy I-locks, Accubonds and Partitions. Never ever had an issue with them 3 but have had plenty with the TSX.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
But just last month you seemed to like them alot??
Maybe I have the wrong poster..at least this guy liked them.
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11443

Last edited by kraky111; 11/18/09.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
According to my data I have noticed (along with others here) that in bigger calibers there are very little if any expansion issues.
I think somewhere in the 33 cal range the issues stop or are diminished close to zero.

Like I said in the aforementioned post, when thy expand they are hell on game.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been playing with the Accubond in the same gun. It initially didnt like the AB at all. Tried backing the bullet off the lands, quite a ways actually, and got the accuracy down under an inch. May give these a run next year if they will continue to show some consistent accuracy.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I am primarily a meat hunter and do not deliberately aim for the shoulder/spine unless there is some real reason to drop it right there...
If you are a TSX true believer, who's convinced that exit holes in the hide somehow kill quicker than massive destruction of the lungs, then you are also welcome to your opinion.

Thanks John. I took a buck a few weeks ago using a 130gr TSX out of an aut6. The good news was he dropped right there. The bad news was I missed. At least I called it a miss. I just hit the shoulder on his left side and the bullet came out the rib cage on the opposite side. I would have rather had a double lung shot as I too am a meat hunter. I didn't notice much blood shot and the exit was a little larger than the entrance. I took him up around the Canyon where G&F prefer's (don't require yet) the use of non-lead ammo.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.