-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't believe the plug is needed for enforcement as they bagged up the shavings that came from my ram's horns like they were going to be tested.

Now I do however, believe that the sealing program is being used for enforcement. Lord knows how many sublegal rams have been taken over the years without anyone knowing about it other than the shooter prior to the sealing program.

My biggest gripe with the sealing program is that if you take a ram to several different offices to get sealed, you will get a different answer from each person that looks at it, have heard numerous horror stories about this over the last few years.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen some classic calls. Two people counting differences of two years and different counts for each horn on the same sheep...

And I do not think it is the sheeps' fault...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
UKdave Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
If your 1/2" short you might as well be 10"s short as it makes no difference up here

Sure puts "ground shrinkage" into a differant light given what could happen and after all the hard work!!

A couple years back a shot a Roe Buck by mistake (out of season it had 1 bollock and no antlers or pedicules or anything),I took it to the game dealers and told them what had happened,their reply...oh well never mind �1.40lb ok!!!

Last edited by UKdave; 11/17/09.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK.
What would happen to the shooter if he thought he had shot a full curl or one that just made minimum requirement and he gets it plugged and it turns out its a 1/2inch short or so?

In Alberta,people have been charged,and the horns seized because the horns were less than 1/4" short.You get a fine,and a hunting suspension,both of which vary with the circumstances.The bottom line is that if you aren't 100% sure that the ram is legal,don't shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would anyone care to "label" some of the photos to show annual rings? It appears to be more difficult than you would think.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
F&G bioligist in AK cannot agree on how old a ram is when you take it in to be sealed. My rule is big or don,t shoot has to
pass muster with all F&G when its sealed. If you are wrong you could loose all you came hunting with. Boat, plane, truck etc!
If you have doubts don,t shoot!

Lots of old Dall rams never reach full curl but are legal, over 8 years old.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AkMtnHntr:
Have to agree with you guys on this one for sure. Never could understand the "logic" of only harvesting full curl rams. To do so, IMO, means the smarter, older rams aren't around to show the younger ones the best feeding & bedding areas, the best escape routes, etc. Continuance of the gene pool should be the main priority I should think. BTW, the guy I occasionally assistant guided for years ago never took more than about 1 ram off of a given mountain in a season. His small attempt at maintaining the gene pool in his area.
I'm not a biologist but.....
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pic of a legal AK Ram thats not full curl well over 8 yrs old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like sheep hunting....See my post "Real Sheep Hunting" today in the General Big Game Forum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here's a giant ram some friends and I found dead in October here in Montana....evidently he was hit by another hunter and not recovered...8 years old, 41" X 17", 199 B&C. We turned it in the FWP, who packed it out the next day.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Here's a pretty good bighorn ram...to put it in perspective I'm 6' 1" and weigh 205. This is one of the largest rams ever out of Montana...203 5/8" B&C. It was found dead in SW Montana.

MarlinMark-

This pic is about as good as it gets for counting rings.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Here's a giant ram some friends and I found dead in October here in Montana....evidently he was hit by another hunter and not recovered...8 years old, 41" X 17", 199 B&C. We turned it in the FWP, who packed it out the next day.

What a grand old Roman-nosed ram. Size and character. A trophy of a lifetime nearly lost. I'm glad you found him.

Last edited by toltecgriz; 11/21/09.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In AK we can keep those...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.