Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
riceone Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I thought this might be interesting to some of you. I did this a a gathering at Blevins Mountian several years back. P O Ackley did a similar test years back but I just wanted to do it also. Go to this site; Riceone

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=2405/

... Pray for our president...Psalms 109 verse 8
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't see the pictures

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
riceone Offline OP
OP Offline
R
All I did was click on the link - works for me. OK see if this will work

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=2405/

Same thing. Don't know why it won't work.

Riceone

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, all you get is red X's. When you click the attachment it ask's you to log in which I'm not doing. If you want us to see it you might consider posting it here.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you have to register on gunboards to see it. If you want folks to see it here you must post it here.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't see pictures but read the text....are you talking about a T99 Arisaka? sounds like a brutal test....would like to see pics.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
R
riceone Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I don't know how to bring all that over here, I think I did it in 2006. If you are interested in Japanese Stuff you should already be a member of that board. More knowledge there on Japanese rifles than all the rest of the boards put together. Sorry I don't know how to move it. It was a brutal test on a T99 rifle. There is another test over there someplace where I chambered a T38 6.5 barrel action to the 7.7x58 cartridge and fired a round through it with no damage at all to the receiver, bolt or barrel. riceone

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...okay...since I've gotten good information here..., in order to return the favor I went ahead and bit the bullet and registered in order to help get the photo's over to this thread.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...more
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...and more.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...last ones.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
riceone Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Chris, thanks. Would you mind telling me how you got the pictues over here? riceone

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Posting a LONG series of photos on the net is apparently a little more complicated than blowing up a Jap War trophy.

Chris, thanks for the effort.

Rice one, thanks for the replay on Ackley's original test.

interesting stuff, that.

"I thought this might be interesting to some of you"

So,....it would be a mite more "Of Interest" if we knew the work up, and overload data,.....No?

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
riceone Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Last year I carried a special tube to safeguard in attempting to see how much a T99 could stand. The hottest load I had was 33 grs. of Unique. Had to knock the bolt open but no damage to the rifle. This past weekend I carried 7 load made up in formed brass that had been fired at least once.

Picture 1: The first cartridge with no tape on it was filled with 53 grs. of 3031 behind a 175 gr. Speer .313" bullet. When fired the primer disappeared and the primer pocket enlarged. Cartridge No. 2 10 gr. of Bullseye pistol powder behind the same bullet. Primer backed out some but could open the bolt and fired case was ejected. The same thing happened with cartridge No. 3 which was loaded with 20 gr. of Bullseye. Cartridge No. 4 was loaded with 25 gr. of Bullseye. No trace of primer was found, pocket enlarged and jamed the extractor. I took it off and the keeper band also. Punched the case out with a cleaning rod. Cartridge No.5 was loaded with 30 gr. of Bullseye, case cracked above head. Had to hammer the bolt open and knocked the case out with a cleaning rod.

Picture 2: Case No. 6 was loaded with 35 gr. of Bullseye. The head disentrigated and we had to use a sledge hammer to get the bolt open. It would not go back in the action. Lugs were set back on the bolt and in the receiver. I used a tap to get the case out.

Picture 3: As you can see the bolt head is messed up. The 35 gr. load almost welded the bolt in the receiver. It could not be forced back in. This shot cleaned all the rust out of the safety pipe.

Rick Veal let me have another barreled action for my last cartridge. I was loaded with a compression load of 40 grs. of Bullseye.

Picture 4: When that round fired it spit the barrel out the front of the pipe onto the ground. The bullet was found about half way down the barrel. We pushed it back out with a cleaning rod. It miked .300 to .312"

Here is the reading under the first four pictures. Rest of the pictures are of the broken peices of the rifle. riceone

Last edited by riceone; 11/24/09.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks....pictures are.....scary

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
riceone,
Here's the process I used;
1) Save the pics to your hard drive.
2) Register for a photosharing site (I use photobucket - free!) and upload photo's to that site.
3) This board allows the use of coding along the line of [img]xxx[/img]...where the address of the photo replaces the "xxx".

If you do a right click on any of the images I uploaded and select "properties", you'll see the address for the photo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/BlingRat/ArisakaT99_blowingup18.jpg
...in the case of the last photo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember something about a guy in the late 40's or 50's trying to be a home gunsmith. He had a type 38 Jap and ran a 30'06 chamber reamer into the barrel. That's all he did before he proceeded to shoot the gun. After dealing with excessive recoil, he brought it to a real gunsmith and that's when he discovered the truth behind the recoil.

The gun was firing 30-06 ammo down the 6.5cal bore and showed no signs of distress except for the recoil. The gun I believe was sent to the NRA were they did further tests on it and they were amazed to say the least. Those Type 38 and 99 guns may not be pretty, but the early ones are probably the strongest actions ever made. I'd be leary of the late WWII ones, but even they may be strong as the older ones.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.