Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I couldn't care less what CR said about elk rifles. I'd be willing to bet that my wife has killed more elk than he has...<g>

AS for bullets in the 270, here's a sample of what we've used in the last few years. 130 NPT, 130 Horn, 140 Horn, 130 TSX, 130 Sierra Bt, 150 Hot Core, 150 NPT, 150 NPT, 150 Horn, 140 Sierra HPBT.

If I had to hunt elk with a 270 for the rest of my days I'd worry not and would fill up an ark or two with preme bullets and or std cnc.

Dober[/quote]

Dober, how did the 150 Hot-Cors do on elk? I always carry my 760 carbine .270 as a backup to the .338wm when elk hunting. I normally load the 150 HC's for whitetails and black bear but haven't needed to shoot an elk with one yet. What kind of penetration did you get? Recover any bullets?

BP-B2

B
B
I reckon if I already had a 30/06 but want to go something larger going to 300wsm or 300 wm isnt worth the gain . My thoughts if wanting to stick to 30 cal would be go to 300weaterby at least it has a fair jump up in Velocity to make it worth while. The down side would be more expensive ammo and perhaps not as readily available. Otherwise the next step to me would be 338 wm , 338rcm or 338/06 using 225gr bullet dependant on your recoil tolerance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bloodworks--the 150 HC like the 150 Horn does very well. To date we've never recovered one out of an elk that I can recall.

I'd not worry one bit about it, put it in a good place and good things will happen.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WSM Fan-what have you taken elk with and what do you use for elk? have you taken any with and or seen any taken with the .270?

And yes you're right, this is a very good site that Rick provides for us. Lots of good info and info and people to learn from.

Thx
Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/23/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My all time favorite elk rifle is still my LW 700 .270 ROY with pizzy little 130 gr. bullets. Has shot a bunch of other critters a well. Shot this years elk with a .300 ULTRA but the .270 ROY will be back next year.

Lefty C

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
WSM Fan-what have you taken elk with and what do you use for elk? have you taken any with and or seen any taken with the .270?

As far as the 270 goes, I've only seen the caliber used on white tail, never an Elk. However, on the white tail that I've seen, I'd say about 33% of the time the bullet did not exit the deer. I'm a fan of exit wounds. If the bullet periodically doesn't exit a deer, I can only image that it wouldn't exit an Elk. Again, I'll admit I'm somewhat a novice on the 270/Elk topic, and most of my experience is with white tail. Personally, I love the 270 Win. Have a Weatherby Vanguard 270 Win. But, IMHO, it seems a little underpowered for an Elk.
For Elk, I shoot my Win Coyote 300WSM or my Browning BLR 325WSM. I also have a 7mmRM and 300RUM, but have never taken Elk with them.

460 SW Mag
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
My all time favorite elk rifle is still my LW 700 .270 ROY with pizzy little 130 gr. bullets. Has shot a bunch of other critters a well. Shot this years elk with a .300 ULTRA but the .270 ROY will be back next year.
Lefty C

Lefty, honestly, what percentage of the time do you have an exit wound on an Elk with a 270/130? IMHO, it is under powered for an Elk. Not trying to stirr up a fight ... just curious. Love the 270, just seems a little light for Elk.

460 SW Mag
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Originally Posted by keith
Buddy of mine killed 7 Bulls with his 257 Wea before he had a guide tell him it was not an elk rifle.

According to Clair Rees, the infamous gunwriter, world hunter and author of "Matching the gun to the game", it is very marginal for elk. Best that he recommends is a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag.

personally, I'd like to know if people knowingly hunt with a 270 Winchester for elk anymore and if so, what bullet do they use.

My friend in Alberta dumped a moose and a elk last week with the 270 Winchester.Factory loaded 130gr Winchester Power Points.One shot on the moose hit it in the heart and 2 on the cow elk.One in the lungs and another to finish it.Late season draws.Gotta love em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dober,

I'm still wondering how you can show your age with the Seka comment and NOBODY calls you on it!!! SamO must be too young to remember....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The 30/06 will do you very well on any elk. My dad killed his elk every year with a handloaded 270 win 130gr sierra; I was with him on many kills on running shots. That 270 win slapped them down hard. My friend in WA used a win 94 32 cal and shot a rosey this season 1 shot in the heart. My favorite elk rifle is the 280 rem with 140 gr barnes or hornady bullets. I have used the 30/06, 338 win and 340 wby with sucess also. I use the 280 for back pack hunts, its a fwt. Its all about bullet placement and of course you must know your limitations.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WSM_Fan
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Lefty C

Lefty, honestly, what percentage of the time do you have an exit wound on an Elk with a 270/130? IMHO, it is under powered for an Elk. Not trying to stirr up a fight ... just curious. Love the 270, just seems a little light for Elk.

You want people's opinions but you're not really listening to them.

If you don't want to shoot an elk with a .270 cause you read Field and Stream and think it's too light, don't do it then.

But when you ask opinions and they are different from your Field and Stream article, you refer back to your article.

I'd heed Dober's advice and if you're not getting exits with your .270, you're probably shooting a tipped bullet. Don't blame the .270, blame your bullet choice.

Shoot a quality bullet and you'll get exits...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GregW
You want people's opinions but you're not really listening to them.

Field and Stream ... funny. laugh Everything doesn't have to be filled with such drama. cry Chill out. I was simply wondering about his personal experiences with the 270. Yes, I see that he shoots a 270 for Elk ... how many times has he not had an exit wound? How many times has the Elk run more than 100 yards after being shot? Just curious. This isn't religion or politics ... well, hunting and shooting is pretty close to it. smile

Besides, when I shoot my 325WSM or 300RUM, I don't need to worry about bullet quality. That's the definition of "marginal". With a 270, a good shot with a good bullet will do the job. With a 325WSM, I just put the cross hairs on the neck or heart, pull the trigger, and grab a snack. Done deal. I have seen, on more than one occasion, a 270 bullet go clean through the neck of a deer, and it ran for nearly 200 yards. I've seen deer shot through the neck with a 270 that never stopped but was shot the following week by another hunter and we found a 270 bullet hole through the neck. EVERY deer/elk I've hit in the neck with the 325WSM has dropped DRT.

Obviously, with these 270 examples of neck shots, the bullet missed the backbone and the jugular. And yes, if you can't make a good shot you shouldn't be hunting. The 325WSM is a fire and forget caliber without the punishment of one of the big magnums.

460 SW Mag
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Besides, when I shoot my 325WSM or 300RUM, I don't need to worry about bullet quality.

That's different than my experience. When I've had bullet problems it's been from non premium bullets pushed to hard from magnum rifles.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I've seen deer shot through the neck with a 270 that never stopped but was shot the following week by another hunter and we found a 270 bullet hole through the neck. EVERY deer/elk I've hit in the neck with the 325WSM has dropped DRT.

Geeee...EVERY deer/elk I've hit in the neck with the .223 has dropped DRT....

So I guess we have something in common....or not.

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope to be able to shed some light on the topic above as I have hunted with this caliber for many years. My father purchased my first rifle in the early 90's in a 270 wby. I took the time to learn how to shoot this gun and the importance of not out shooting ones abilities. I have hunted with it for roughly the last 17 years. I typically shoot 150 gr Nosler partitions when hunting elk or larger game.

I have killed over 12 elk and 14 deer with this gun over the years and I have never lost one. Actually I have never even had to do any significant tracking on any of these animals. With that said I dont try neck shots a 400 yards. I typically shoot right behind the shoulder as this shot placement has yet to let me down.

2 years ago I was lucky enough to take this rifle on a buffalo hunt. At 238 yards the Buffalo was hit with one shot (shoulder...god I am boring) that dropped it flat on its chest. The butcher told me he tipped the scale at 1200 lbs with the guts out of course. Sure you can shoot something larger lots of people do. But in my opinion for where I hunt in Wyoming and what I hunt (elk and rocky mountain mule deer) the 270 weatherby mag. has never let me down and frankly I dont think there are much better out there, but I am certainly biased. smile

Last edited by hamr56; 11/24/09.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by hamr56
I have killed over 12 elk and 14 deer with this gun over the years and I have never lost one. Actually I have never even had to do any significant tracking on any of these animals. With that said I dont try neck shots a 400 yards. I typically shoot right behind the shoulder as this shot placement has yet to let me down.

2 years ago I was lucky enough to take this rifle on a buffalo hunt. At 238 yards the Buffalo was hit with one shot (shoulder...god I am boring) that dropped it flat on its chest. The butcher told me he tipped the scale at 1200 lbs with the guts out of course. Sure you can shoot something larger lots of people do. But in my opinion for where I hunt in Wyoming and what I hunt (elk and rocky mountain mule deer) the 270 weatherby mag. has never let me down and frankly I dont think there are much better out there, but I am certainly biased. smile

Great info. Thanks for sharing. Clearly if you are taking buffalo with a 270 cal then it must be more capable than I originally thought. Great web site.

460 SW Mag
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have always longed for a 7 Wby mag but never really cared for the Mark V rifles, if you like the Mark V rifles the 7 Wby would be a great choice, recoil is about the same as a 300 WSM.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
er shaw will make you a wby 7 mag for about a grand and it will out shoot the wby mark v most of the time, 6 month wait but impressive results. tsx 160's in wby 7 mag are a great combo.
Happy turkey day
Anie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WSM-just for giggles I'll let you in on a bit of my .270 experiences and elk. Started killing elk with it in about 78. Since then I'be used it and have watched buds shoot their .270's on 25-30 head of elk. That being with all the various bullets that I mentioned.

These elk have been taken as close as 100 yds to 650 yds. At this time I can recall finding two of them. One of them and that was on a nice 5 point with the 140 Horn. And that bull was facing us when my friend dropped the hammer. The other was on a big cow I took winter of 85 or so with the 130 Noz. Other than those two I cannot recall finding any bullets nor can I recall not getting two holes. And I am a proponent of two holes on game.

The vast majority of the elk we've taken with the .270 has been with the 130 Sierra Bt and that includes the elk @ 650 yds. It went about 15-20 feet and tipped over.

To date non of the elk have gone over 50 yds or so. Guess my thoughts are you put a good slug in a good place and good things happen.

I'm a member of the 50/50 club (meaning 50 years old and have seen over 50 head of elk taken) and that has taught me that the .270 is more than adequate for elk.

You seem like a nice fella, but perhaps a bit less educated on the killing of elk than I am. If you went to taking elk with the .270 I am more than sure that it wouldn't take long and you'd be a believer as well.

Have a super Turkey day!

Dober

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Mark...

Doooood....

You are starting to lose it...old age and all that....

For you...its the 51/51 club.... grin

laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.