24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually the 51 years part is right, we'll have to bbq some night and we'll talk about the other #... wink

But yes you're right, I am losing it!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...I'd have to PM about the second number as well..... whistle

For sure....

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought so....<g>

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WSM_Fan
....... Yes, 7mm using 175gr would be OK also. Using a 257/270 on Elk is just dumb.

The American Heritage Dictionary; New College Edition: "DUMB- "informal definition": Ignorant or stupid.....slow to apprehend; dull,obtuse;showing a lack of sense or intelligence.....

This is a riot....funny stuff.......uh lemme see...the cartrdgee has been around since 1925. It is internationally renowned as a long range cartridge,used routinely here and in Africa on stuff from 100 to 1000 pounds or so....I have friends and personal acquaintances who have used it (mostly with 130-150,and 160 gr Partitions,130 BBC's, X, Swift Aframes,etc) for the usual run of deer,elk,moose,mountain grizzly,Brown Bear,sheep, goats...........in Africa on eland,kudu,gemsbok,zebra......Bob Lee (an international BG hunter and entrepeneur who owned a Tanzania safari outfit),used it on 9 lions......O'Connor,Whelen,Pahlavi,Les Bowman,Craig Boddington,John Barsness,John Haviland,Jack O'Connor, Brad O'Connor.........all have used the 270 Winchester for a vast array of game animals elk sized and larger.

At the cost of elk and elk hunts, you have to forgive me if I have not shot 50 of the things with the 270 or anything else....(when I was really active as an elk hunter I used 300's and 7 mags) but I have seen it used many times.....(my rancher buddy in Wyoming has likely killed 40-50 with it).........thousands of elk are killed with it every year,likely the total exceeds over a million elk by now.......

And suddenly.....in the booming wake of the of the alphabet mags, in the enlightenment of the 21st Century, the 270 has become a chump change elk cartridge;the 7 mag barely edging into the adequacy class(whew!)........and this newfound knowledge springs from the internet where these sages have shot a half dozen teensy Georgia whitetails with a 270 (whining cause they didn't get "exits" no less)....the font of elk-hunting wisdom..........everything that happened before has been rendered irrelevant......and "dumb". Given the sources and the arguments, I'd question who deserves the description of "dumb"......

The 270 (and the 300 WSM, 300 RUM, 7 rem mag,300 WM, etc) are all lightweight elk cartridges if the guy driving it is a lightweight rifleman, lacking skill and judgement in shooting.......

Some of the stuff on here is enough to make you bust a gut laughing grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk- killin' Montana bastids... grin... Y'all need to SUFFER for your elk like the rest of us! grin

To the OP: it's been said enough but I'll add my voice to the choir: '06 is a powerful cartridge, period. This gets forgotten because there are lots of MORE powerful cartridges, but...

So, you have one very good elk rifle that you are very comfortable with. If you want another one, and money and recoil don't matter, in a long action the .338 Win Mag has "elk whacker" stamped right there on the barrel. Or it should. smile In a WSM action, I would point you at a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM or .325 WSM. Whole lotta whoop-ass per pound, with those WSM Montanas!

I personally would put a smaller scope on your '06 though. A Leupold with the B&C reticle sure works, as does the Rapid-Z reticle you mentioned. However no point in investing in the reticle and rangefinder unless you are willing to commit to at LEAST several hundred rounds of practice with it, in field conditions, at longer ranges... Just IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bob...

Please quit with the drama...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You guys are funny. Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll go buy a 270WSM on an after-thanksgiving-sale and get some "270 experience". Cheers.

460 SW Mag
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GregW
Bob...

Please quit with the drama...grin...

....ohhh....OK... grin

But really,Greg...how much stuff has to die before it starts to sink in.....?That's my point...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi Bob,

For many (you and me included) an elk hunt is Very Special Thing. Heck for some it's a once in a lifetime thing. This leads folks, gun nuts in particular, towards wanting an "optimum" elk rifle/caliber. Perfectly natural response... In a gun-loon sort of way! grin

All I would say in response to your .270... uh... exposition would be to ask how many times you personally have chosen to hunt elk with one, vs. How many times you've chosen something else- something "more".

This is not to impugn the .270, and it's sure as heck not meant to start an argument! For illustrative purposes only...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
WSM,

I have had exits with both the tipped TSX (last year) and the 130 partition a few years ago. 130 partition exited a pretty good BC moose. BTW elk will die if the bullet doesn't exit. look at my post above..this years elk was hit with a 200gr AB out of a .300 ultra..no exit dead elk. For sure the .300 is a lot more gun than the .270..but both elk died. I think the results would have been the same if the elk was hit in the same place with my .308. A direct shoulder hit is pretty hard on any bullet and I dont know what it would take to get a exit with a bullet through both shoulders. You don't need a anti-aircraft gun to kill them just hit them right. I would gladly hunt with a standard .270

LC

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Elk- killin' Montana bastids... grin... Y'all need to SUFFER for your elk like the rest of us! grin

My wife went elk hunting yesterday with her brother ( I don't hunt them anymore...I don't EVER wanna see another one of those bastids dead on the ground..)
They took off before 6 am, tracked and killed one pretty quickly...about 8;30 ( The BIL got him...)

In only 12 more hours of slogging through the snow, pulling a sled laden with quarters...my wife got home...

She looked like she suffered enough... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait till I give her the GPS quads for all the elk that are stacked up in X Crick...

I'll be sure to tell her that you know the area well.

Dober

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't let these 270 Hardheads gang up on you WSM_Fan, grin

If I lived in GA and planned an elk hunt out west, I don't think I would be taking a 270 with me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah we're not ganing up on him, us 270 hardheads don't do that till people actually have experience on elk with the round. Then we center them in our sights... smile

Dober

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dober,

I have a new mule deer/elk rifle in the works, soon to be completed. You are going to eat your heart out! laugh

Soon to be revealed in the weeks coming.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could fit what I know about elk in a thimble but I tend to think that the 270 is overkill on elk.....grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal, I knew you had it in you to do another .270....grin

Can't wait to hear, I'm sure it'll be nice (as long as it aint heavy...).

Have a super Turk day!

Dober

(may be going to Portland again in Feb for another kenetrek show)

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh, it ain't heavy. Should weigh under 6 lbs dry.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
but I tend to think that the 270 is overkill on elk.....grin

I don't know about that, I've always thought the 270 as being a little light in the loafers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hence the "grin"........ wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.