Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the years I've been luck enough to recover numerous bullets from deer shot by me. They vary in manufacturer and caliber but I think they prove that it doesn't really matter what you hit deer with, as long as you hit them in the right spot. Here are the details of the recovered bullets. All these weights are dressed weights according to a scale. Maybe someone else has some bullets and info to share here too.

22 Hornet - 45 grain Hornady. Range 70 yards. velocity 2500 fps. 110 lbs doe. Bullet entered behind right shoulder, angled forward thru lungs, penatrating left shoulder. deer traveled about 50 yards. Bullet Found under hide. recovered weight - 39 grains

[Linked Image]

250 Savage - 100 grain Remington RN. velocity 2850 fps. range 20 yards. 105 lbs spike. deer hit in cheek of ***, bullet breaking hip and spine. recovered under skin above spine. Deer dropped and died at shot. retained weight 73.3 grains

[Linked Image]

308 winchester - 165 grain speer RN. velocity 2700 fps. 130 lbs 3 point. Range 30 feet. bullet entered top of neck, traversing chest, exited chest, and lodged in left leg. buck dropped on the spot. retained weight - 125.7 grains.

[Linked Image]

308 winchester - 165 grain speer RN. velocity 2700 fps. 130 lbs 4 point. range- 60 yds. bullet entered ribcage, angled forward, exited right side of chestand lodged in right leg. buck dropped on the log he was stepping over. retained weight- 111.9 grains

[Linked Image]

6.5x55 Swede - 120 grain Nosler Solid base. Velocity 2900fps. 90 lbs doe. range-40 yards angling downslope. bullet entered front chest by left shoulder. front section exited left side of ribs. remaining section penatrated entire length of deer coming to rest in right hind quarter. doe ran about 40 yds before dieing. retained weight -81.2 grains

[Linked Image]

260 remington - 129 grain Hornady SP. velocity- 2700fps. 105 lbs spike. range about 60 yards. Bullet entered right side of deer behind the ribs, destroyed liver, wrecked lungs, and lodged under skin after breaking left shoulder. deer traveled about 30 yds. recovered weight - 86 grains.

[Linked Image]

260 remington -129 grain Hornady SP. velocity- 2700fps. 142 lbs 7 point. range 180 yards. bullet entered right front shoulder, breaking it, wrecked lungs, broke left shoulder and left leg. recovered in left elbow. Deer dropped on the spot. recovered weight - 98.5 grains.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/260rem02.jpg[/img]

260 remington - 129 Hornady SP. velocity - 2700fps. 110 lbs doe. range - 25 yds. bullet entered nose, shattered jaw and skull, broke neck, and recovered under hide in back of neck. doe dead before she hit the ground. recovered weight - 71 grains.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/260rem06.jpg[/img]

Thanksgiving '09 I recovered another bullet for my collection.

260 Remington 129 grain Hornady SP entered the 135 lb doe about 6" behind the shoulder, wrecked both lungs, exited just behind the opposite shoulder, and lodged into a hard maple tree 15 feet behind the deer. At a muzzle velocity of 2700fps the bullet left it's normal quarter sized exit hole and the doe only went about 50 yds before crashing. The bullet entered the tree backwards and folded the expanded jacket and lead back into place. The recovered weight is 103 grains and expansion from the impact on the deer ended at the cannelure.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/260rem09.jpg[/img]

284 winchester - 154 grain Hornady RN. velocity - 2500fps. 70lbs button buck. range - 20yds. bullet entered left side of neck, went thru top of heart, destroyed right lung, and recovered in rear abdominal wall. deer dropped on spot. recovered weight - 125.6 grains

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/28496.jpg[/img]

35 Whelen - 200 grain Hornady RN. velocity - 2700 fps. 125 lbs doe. range about 30 yards and running. Bullet hit behind ribs, angled forward destroying liver,wrecked 1 lung, went thru heart, and lodged in left shoulder. doe ran about 40 yds and died. recovered weight - 113 grains.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/35whelen90.jpg[/img]

38-55 winchester - 270 grain cast bullet. velocity - 1600fps. 135 lbs spike. bullet entered base of neck, wrecking 1 lung, and exited behind right shoulder. Bullet recovered in 6" pine tree behind deer. buck went about 400 yds bleeding well the whole time. recovered weight - 266 grains.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/38-55.jpg[/img]

41 magnum - 210 grain Hornady HP. velocity - 1600fps. 120 lbs doe. range - 15 yds. bullet entered back of neck, breaking spine, and recovered under skin in front of neck. recovered weight - 156 grains

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/41magnum90.jpg[/img]

50 cal. Savage muzzleloader - 250 grain 45 cal. Hornady XTP. velocity - 2000 fps. 105 lbs doe. range - 80 yds. bullet entered above the left shoulder, wrecking the lungs, breaking the spine, and recovered under hide by stomach. Doe died her bed. recovered weight - 198 grains.

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/45calsavagemuzzleloader.jpg[/img]

I hope this info is of help to people out there when they are trying to make decisions about guns and bullets. Does anyone else have any info to share?

Last edited by dmsbandit; 11/30/09.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here are the Barnes TSX and Nosler Partition's I've recovered

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very cool information, thanks for posting.

CLB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Obviously when you're operating in the right velocity window, you don't need a magic bullet to kill a deer. I've killed a couple of WTs with a .260 and a 140gr bullet and thought it did a very good job.

Aim for the exit hole.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's good stuff. You kept good notes. I haven't managed to collect bullets, except for a Berger VLD. Everything else passed through.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You need a new picture, I've seen you post that one a bunch. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a new one for the collection. It is a 250gr .452 caliber Hornady XTP that killed my 2010 muzzle loader doe. The bullet hit her at 2100fps in the back of the ribs breaking 3 on the way in, destroyed the liver, tore open the stomach, exited her body cavity, entered her left hind leg above the knee, and came to rest under the skin on the back of her thigh.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good info. Thanks.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really ought to sneak up a little closer! grin

That's some funny stuff there. 80 yards was the farthest shot, and the rest were 60 and closer. I'd say you were using the right bullets. And shootin' that poor doe in the nose-that's priceless! laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the report. Do you stalk that close, or do you get your stands that close to travel corridors?

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool collection you have there. I'd never have thought to do that.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here's half of all the TSXs Ive recovered..

[Linked Image]

Heres the other half...and a TBBC

TSXs are 53 grain .22s and the TBBC is a 55 gr, .22

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yukonal

That's some funny stuff there. 80 yards was the farthest shot, and the rest were 60 and closer. I'd say you were using the right bullets. And shootin' that poor doe in the nose-that's priceless! laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the report. Do you stalk that close, or do you get your stands that close to travel corridors?

Well actually, one of the 260rem bullets was taken from a 7pt at 180 yds. wink

Sometimes things just work out the way they do. I hunt fields and woods, but once the hunting season gets going, the deer avoid the fields unless it's really nasty weather. I hunt a high pressure area so you have to hunt the deer like rabbits after a few days of rifle season.

As far as shooting the doe in the nose, all I had a shot at was her face or her ass. I don't eat the face so her dental work got rearranged. grin

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Your post shows me that in your circumstance that the 260 Remington did the best job.

Our garage was littered with old Sierra 150 gr 30 Caliber bullets that did not proceed out of the deer after they were shot.

I might have found one or two Hornady's in the last 15 years out of 45 or 50 deer that I had processed.
Most times the only way to find the bullet is if you took a bad shot and the bullet had to travel further then normal to make the kill. I have nothing against a bullet getting caught on the far side of the cape - as long as it killed the deer.
But most times there is no reason to shoot a deer in the face or at angles which requires the bullet to go from the front to the back of the deer - or to shoot one in the buttock just so you can get a deer. I'm not that desperate for a deer....

I only ever recovered one bullet from a tree - after shooting a deer. Most times the deer is dead and I am more worried about it not running and about getting it processed and out of the woods and loaded in the truck then I am about trying to find the bullet. I would say that the hills around my tree stand and the timber in Jefferson county Pennsylvania is full of lead from hunters shooting at whitetail deer....
Brookville Wood Products runs all its timber through a metal detector before it ever gets to the head saw for that very same reason.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

But most times there is no reason to shoot a deer in the face or at angles which requires the bullet to go from the front to the back of the deer - or to shoot one in the buttock just so you can get a deer. I'm not that desperate for a deer....

The bullet from the 250 Savage was the SECOND shot into the deer. The first went thru the chest and thru both lungs. Hunters in my area are known for stealing your deer if it makes it to them so when the deer stopped after the first shot, I put the second shot into the deer to drop it.

I won't take a shot at a deer just to take the shot. I know what my guns and ammo are capable of. If I can get the bullet thru the vitals, I don't care if it has to travel thru 20-24" of deer. Contrary to all the "experts" in the magazines and T.V. Hunting shows, you don't need a deer broadside & standing still to kill it. Any deer gun shooting good bullets is entirely capable of traveling thru a deer at almost any angle and still kill it quickly. If you wait for the "perfect" shot in my areas, you eat alot of tags. In 30+ years of hunting I have lost exactly 2 deer I have shot at and they where on broadside shots where the bullet blew up on the shoulder [100gr Ballistic tip] or went thru the brisket.

As far as digging the bullet out of the trees [38-55 and 260] I did it the next day after recovering the deer. In the case of the 38-55, seeing the bullet hole in the tree sideways told me that I didn't miss the deer and to keep looking for blood. 50 yds from that tree I found the first drop of blood and then started following the trail to the deer.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 12/30/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say that the hills around my tree stand and the timber in Jefferson county Pennsylvania is full of lead from hunters shooting at whitetail deer....
Brookville Wood Products runs all its timber through a metal detector before it ever gets to the head saw for that very same reason.

JFC, can douchebeer get any more stupid?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I would say that the hills around my tree stand and the timber in Jefferson county Pennsylvania is full of lead from hunters shooting at whitetail deer....

JFC, can douchebeer get any more stupid?

Will you guys please stop quoting Duquensebeer please?

I have this particular zero on ignore and you are harshing my mellow by showing me his latest inanities...

John

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by yukonal

80 yards is the furthest I've ever shot a deer. Most shots have been under 30yds.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is another Bullet from my Savage MKII muzzleloader. It was recovered from a very worn out buck in '09 that dressed out 105pounds. He had no fat at all on him, he was missing one horn, and only had about 3" of the other one left.

The 250gr XTP bullet hit him on the shoulder knuckle [piece of it in the photo]. continued thru the chest cavity, and became lodged in the muscle of the stomach near the opposite hip. The bone fragment was also in the stomach muscles within a few inches of the bullet fragment.

At a range of only about 30yds, the XTP hit the deer at over 2100fps and still went thru the hardest bone and 3' of inerds. Somehow the buck managed to run 20yds closer to me, and then dropped dead.

[Linked Image]

Does anyone else have any to share?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Damn! they look exactly like the ones I have recovered.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I managed to recover a 110 grain barnes TTSX this year. But I had to shoot a donkey through the shoulders to do it. Shot was taken about 70 yards, directly on the point of the left shoulder. Bullet ended up just under the hide on the right shoulder. The petals were broken off, but it dropped the creature where he stood. I was running it out of a 26 inch .270 WSM.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a 250 grain Barnes Spitfire T EZ. Shot a face-on doe in the neck at about 20 feet. It took out about 5 inches of spine and lodged just at the base of the neck below the spine. She was DRT.

[Linked Image]

Shot out of a TC Impact muzzleloader over 100 grains of 777.

Last edited by snubbie; 12/27/11.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got another bullet to share. This is a 250gr XTP recovered in the hip of a 127pound doe shot by my Savage Muzzleloader. It appears like I hit it with a machette or clever in the quartering/butchering process. It wieghs 110grs and it entered the shoulder/neck area of the doe at a range of about 75yds. It wrecked both lungs, went thru the top of the heart, and made it thru the whole length of the deer before stopping in the bone structure of the hips. The doe traveled about 70yds uphill and dropped in sight of me.

Once again the XTP proves more than a match for deer even when pushed at 2100fps.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dmsbandit; 01/20/12.

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heres my first and only TSX. It started life as a 53 gr TSX and ended up weighing 33 grs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you guys can't effectively kill deer without complete pass thru's,just ask any of those powerbelt haters. gota have pass thru's for better blood trails ,so they say. i say dead is dead,who caares about pass thru bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
you guys can't effectively kill deer without complete pass thru's,just ask any of those powerbelt haters. gota have pass thru's for better blood trails ,so they say. i say dead is dead,who caares about pass thru bullets.

HA!

But then, if we get pass thru's, we wouldn't have all these cool boolit pictures!!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Vicious Catch 22.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Vicious Catch 22.

Like the double entendre'.....( for us stunt shooters....) grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dammit Ingwe, once again, I am glad you are around. I throw stuff out, and more often that not, you are the one who gets it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go. A little something to get away from sherry sipping, hand wringers on the general campfire.

These following pics I took were the effect of a 250gr Hornady XTP. The entrance wound would be on the deer's left shoulder. These pics show the bullet lodged just under the skin on the Right shoulder. I discovered it just as I rolled the skin down and thought to get my camera.

43 yards to impact
CVA Optima
90 grains of 777

I self process in a walkin-cooler I built myself so I was able to capture these pictures of the bullet insitu. Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
SLUMLORD

the only pic I could stare at was your avatar !!! HOT GIRLS wearing my favorite flag!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DAMARA
SLUMLORD

the only pic I could stare at was your avatar !!! HOT GIRLS wearing my favorite flag!!!!!
+1000

[Linked Image]

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only 2 Noslers ever recovered. First is a 260gr HP muzzle loader. 100 yard shot on a big doe quartering hard to me. Hit in the collar bone on right side. Bullet stopped almost at her knee on left side. Probably 40" penetration�. DRT

[Linked Image]

From another big doe hit @ 208 yards DRT. This was a light 243win/ 100gr Partition load reduced for my 7yr old son. It almost passed thru the pine tree too. Bout a 4" tree.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your 7 year old took a 208 yard ML shot? Cripes.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
295.70g
OD=.898"

Muzzleloader fired Speer 300g .452 Deep Curl. 80 yards Whitetail doe
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muzzleloader buck at 254 yards and used the 250g TEZ. 1 shot drop
here is the spend slug 247.34g

OD=.848"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Your 7 year old took a 208 yard ML shot? Cripes.

LOL�.. I fixt it

From another big doe hit @ 208 yards DRT. This was a light 243win/ 100gr Partition load reduced for my 7yr old son. It almost passed thru the pine tree too. Bout a 4" tree.

[Linked Image] [/quote]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Really cool pictures, veryyyyyyy interesting. If my memory serves me right (mostly to the right not left at all) I have never recovered a bullet of mine from a deer. I have recovered a few .22, and .24 calibers shot by other hunters but not any by me. Several shot with muzzleloaders, light rifles and magnums. Still looking for the arrow I shot my last deer with.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have only recovered a couple of bullets in all of my years deer hunting. The first was pieces of a .45 pistol bullet shot out of a ML with a sabot. It was obviously going too fast for it's construction limits and was in fragments from hitting a neck vertebrae . The 2nd was a .243 rem. cl that looked like a print ad from a magazine, perfect mushroom found under the offside hide after passing thru both shoulders of a doe at around 200yds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

They are both from a 12ga. The left one, a sabot, was shot broadside. Went through a rib on entry through the heart breaking another rib before being lodged beneath the skin.

The right one is a Remington Express Magnum quartering shot. Hit high the right shoulder hit some bones on the way to being lodged high in the left leg. Kind of a small deer.

Both were shot within 100 yards.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's very interesting to see all the different bullets and how they work on deer at different ranges. There's alot of good info here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is interesting - but I keep thinking that of all the deer I've shot, I only managed to recover the twisted remains of a couple of Berger VLD's.

All the others, conventional or premium, penetrated right on through.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Here are the two that I have recovered from deer I shot.

This was a 180 grain Fusion .308 Win taken from a 245 Whitetail shot at a lasered 301 yards. Deer was quartering hard to me and I shot it on the point of the shoulder. Bullet was between the left rear ribcage and hide.
[Linked Image]

This one is from a recent buck shot at approx 275 yards with a .300 WSM on a quartering away buck of about 165-170lbs. It is a 180 grain Hornady SST.
[Linked Image]

I havn't recovered any bullets on broadside shots as most have been pass throughs, and up to this date all have been shorter than the 301 yard shot above. But I don't dig around for bullets in deer. These two just happened to be easy to find.

I did help skin a red deer stag approx 500-525 lbs, that was shot with a 7mm rem mag and 150 grain winchester power points at a touch over 300 yards this year. Found the two bullets under the offside hide and they both looked a lot like the fusion bullet above.

Bob.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a new one from my 260 remington. It is a 129gr Hornady SP recovered from a 100 pound 3 point buck shot at about 75yds away. The recovered weight is 61grs and the bullet was found in the opposite shoulder after taking out 6 inches of his spine/neck and shattering the shoulder knuckle. The muzzle velocity of the load is about 2675fps and the buck dropped on the spot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here another .452 caliber 250gr Hornady XTP recovered from my 130pound muzzleloader doe. The bullet weighs 215grs and entered her right side, broke three ribs, destroyed one lung, blew up the liver, and was found in the stomach muscle on the opposite side. The muzzle velocity is a measured 2150fps with this load and at 95 yds away, the doe dropped on the spot.

This bullet is one tough piece of engineering.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a .45-70 slug that I pulled out of the shoulder of a deer on a double kill at about 25 yards

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the left, is an intact .54 425 gr. Hornady Great Plains conical. Two in the middle are the same ,recovered from deer. On the right is what's left of a Remington 170 gr rn in 8x57 I recovered from a Vermont Black Bear.
The 8x57 went thru one shoulder and recovered from the opposite shoulder.DRT.

[Linked Image]

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Bullets_recovered_from_Game#Post5175323

All of mine are here and a good deal of bullets from other folks.

Thanks DMS and others for posting your results GRF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this is interesting.....I shot a mule deer, quartering away at 75yds with a 7STW using 150g Barnes TTSX traveling at +/-3400fps. Bullet entered behind the shoulder, punched a 1 3/4" hole squarely in middle of the heart, busted the off shoulder and came to rest in hide on the off shoulder with the bullet base exposed. The petals were holding the bullet in place. The bullet tumbled at some point to come to rest like that.

The Deer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Bullet
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That looks like it may have burned a little...For a second or two.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was one the best and most informative post that I have seen on this site, thanks for sharing all the great photos and description.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My TTSX over penetrated... Sorry...

grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
250gr .411 JSP, from a Contender Carbine in .414SuperMag , probably running 2200fps or thereabouts. impact at 50 yards, deer quartering towards me. smashed the front shoulder & traveled right down the spinal column, stopped just past the liver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

============================================================

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FyrepowrX,

I am in the market for a new camera with good macro capabilities.

I could not help but notice how good your photos are. You have just posted your fingerprints all over the internet -- and very clearly, I might add! wink

What camera did you use for these photos?

John

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Here is another Bullet from my Savage MKII muzzleloader. It was recovered from a very worn out buck in '09 that dressed out 105pounds. He had no fat at all on him, he was missing one horn, and only had about 3" of the other one left.

The 250gr XTP bullet hit him on the shoulder knuckle [piece of it in the photo]. continued thru the chest cavity, and became lodged in the muscle of the stomach near the opposite hip. The bone fragment was also in the stomach muscles within a few inches of the bullet fragment.

At a range of only about 30yds, the XTP hit the deer at over 2100fps and still went thru the hardest bone and 3' of inerds. Somehow the buck managed to run 20yds closer to me, and then dropped dead.

[Linked Image]

Does anyone else have any to share?

Switch over to the .452 300gr XTP and you will never find another one. I have
Yet to find one in a deer in more than a decade with that bullet!!

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jpb
FyrepowrX,

I am in the market for a new camera with good macro capabilities.What camera did you use for these photos?

John

John..it is an older model Olympus, only an 8MP as i recall, but it does have a 16x optical zoom range, and does well on close-ups. have had it several years and it keeps on going, and i have been impressed. when/if it kicks the bucket, will look for another one like it as a replacement.

============================================================

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, FyrepowrX!

I know lens quality means a lot more than the sheer number of pixels (past some point anyway) -- and if that camera only has 8Mp, then that sure is proof!

I will check out current Olympus models, and look for ones that mention macro capability. Thanks for the info!

John

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I'll play, although I haven't weighed them and don't know the exact velocities. I always go out of my way to recover a bullet if possible but most are pass throughs.

.308 Norma Magnum, Parker-Hale - 180 gr Norma SP Factory load (probably a Hornady interlock)- 170 lb buck - 100 yards - Quartering to me - DRT, hit just inside on-side shoulder, recovered in front of off-side ham.
[Linked Image]

.32 Win. Spl., Winchester 94 - 170gr Winchester Power Point Factory load - 130 lb buck - 40 yards - Quartering away slightly - DRT, hit behind on-side shoulder, recovered in off-side shoulder
[Linked Image]

.35 Rem., Remington 7600 Carbine - 150 gr Remington Core-Lokt Factory load - 140 lb buck - 50 yards - Broadside - Ran about 60 yards, recovered in off-side ribs
[Linked Image]

.300 Savage, Remington 700 BDL - 180 gr DWM "TaperLok" Factory load - 105 lb doe - 15 yards - Quartering to me - DRT, Hit in on-side shoulder, recovered in off-side ribs, shed jacket
[Linked Image]

9x57R, Custom Martini - 200 gr .356" RNSP, unknown manufacture, "Quality Cartridge" Custom ammo - 100 lb doe - 60 yards - Broadside - DRT, High shoulder shot, took out spine, recovered in off-side shoulder
[Linked Image]

.45 Win. Mag, T/C Contender 10" - 230 gr Speer Gold Dot Handload - 140 lb buck - 40 yards - Broadside - DRT, Hit behind shoulder, recovered in off-side ribs - See the "Gold Dot" in center?
[Linked Image]

Just for grins, my latest "recovery": .22 Short, Browning Auto-22 - CCI 27 gr HP - Big ass fox squirrel - only bullet I've ever recovered in a squirrel. Expanded like a fine deer bullet!
[img]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/markcloer/bullets007_zps01426ea3.jpg[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only recovered a few bullets in all the deer that I have killed. I recovered a 110 accubond in the offside hide after passing through the shoulder and busting a couple ribs from my 25-06 and a 180 nbt from my 300 wm in the hind quarter after busting front shoulder and everything between.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
.54 round ball over 90grains pyrodexRS at perhaps 45 yards- offside shoulder of a chubby doe
[Linked Image]

.451 conical (460 grains) over a very light charge of 777. Approx 50 yards. The only one I ever recovered.
[Linked Image]

Most times, heavy lead at low velocity just goes right through small deer.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There are some great pictures here. It's interesting to see what a plain jane bullet will do when placed in the right spot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's all my pics of the Hornady .30 Cal. 165 gr BTSP I've been using for the last 18 yrs, first out of an '06, now out of a .300 SAUM that I've recovered.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I like this answer, though I have recovered a few partitions, but don't know if I ever saved them. Yet to recover a Barnes

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got a new picture to share this year.

It was fired from a 6.8spc at a 115lb spike buck. The 110gr Sierra Pro-hunter hit the buck about 7" behind the shoulder, hitting the liver, shattering 6" of the brisket, going thru the lungs, and found in the opposite shoulder muscle just under the skin. At a muzzle velocity of around 2350fps it did a lot of damage even at a range of 170yds. The recovered weight is 27grs and consist of just the jacket.

Considering the damage done, I'm not surprised the bullet lost it's core. It means I should be careful to avoid large bones in the future if I shoot it at closer ranges.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Anyone notice a reoccurring theme?

Round nose bullets slay deer.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Anyone notice a reoccurring theme?

Round nose bullets slay deer.

cup-n-core bullets work. Have been for over 100years now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only one I ever saved. From my first buck. 6mm Remington 100gr core lokt. 40 yrds from a 9pt 165lbs dressed. Went in the left hind quarter and found in the neck.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have another recovered bullet to share. This one was shot from my savage Muzzleloader this past Saturday [12/14/13] at a 130pound doe. I was hunting with some friends and I was posted in a treestand while a drive was taken place. This deer come running past on 3 legs and at a range of about 20-25yds I led her by about 2' and let fly with the 250gr Hornady XTP HP.

You can see the entry hole in the photo and the bullet shattered two ribs, shredded the lungs, took out the breast bone, and was found in the opposite knee knuckle.

[Linked Image]

what is weird is the bullet being split in half. The only thing I can figure is it was sheared by the sharp heavy pieces of bone in her knee knuckle.

The deer only when about 30 yds and laid down and died. The bullet pieces weigh 185grs, so a good deal of it made it to the opposite side, but then got split in half.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dmsbandit; 12/15/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
130gr Berger HVLD from a 260. Less than 100 yard neck shot. Weighs 36gr.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cinch
130gr Berger HVLD from a 260. Less than 100 yard neck shot. Weighs 36gr.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

wow, I can see why they don't want you taking raking shots with those bullets. shocked

super nice buck grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you sir...I'm very happy with this deer...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anyone got any bullets to share from this hunting season?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've hunted deer for almost 50 years with everything from a 6MM Remington to a .54 caliber patched round ball and I've yet to recover a bullet from a deer.

My current favorite deer rifle is a Pre-64 Model 70 .30/06. I've gotten lazy and started to use Winchester factory ammo with the 180-grain Power Point bullet.

All I get is bang/flops and exit holes.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nice deer

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Speer 145 gr hotcor 7MM/08:[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Speer 145 gr hotcor 7MM/08:[Linked Image]

Looks like an advertisement from Speer. grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by HuntKY
I think this is interesting.....I shot a mule deer, quartering away at 75yds with a 7STW using 150g Barnes TTSX traveling at +/-3400fps. Bullet entered behind the shoulder, punched a 1 3/4" hole squarely in middle of the heart, busted the off shoulder and came to rest in hide on the off shoulder with the bullet base exposed. The petals were holding the bullet in place. The bullet tumbled at some point to come to rest like that.

The Deer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Bullet
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's really easy to answer. During the passage of the bullet through the critter, the expansion changes the center of balance of the bullet. The bullet reverses and the base is in front ... basically, the base leads.

The guys at Nosler & Hornady have several photos of bullet bases protruding from the far-side hides.

Hey, it just makes sense.

KD

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kududude
Originally Posted by HuntKY

The Deer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Bullet
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's really easy to answer. During the passage of the bullet through the critter, the expansion changes the center of balance of the bullet. The bullet reverses and the base is in front ... basically, the base leads.

The guys at Nosler & Hornady have several photos of bullet bases protruding from the far-side hides.

Hey, it just makes sense.

KD

That's a heck of a buck to stop a Barnes bullet. shocked And it was a magnum rifle to boot. crazy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Powerbelt platinum, don't remember distance. Perfect mushroom, only one I have recovered out of many kills.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

215 grains out of 223 grains.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know a lot of guys that shoot powerbelts, and they also have good luck with them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like Steelhead, below are all the pictures of my recovered Nosler BT's, AB's, Barnes TTSX's and Core Lokt's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I will not shoot powerbelts, not the standard ones, only the platinums.

NRA Benefactor life member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a couple pics of the 140 gr AB recovered from this years buck I shot with a 280AI. Range was approx. 60 yards and deer was quartering away. Bullet hit last rib went forward thru the chest cavity, exited under the opposite shoulder and went thru the shoulder joint and was found under the hide.

It weighs 112 gr and measures .430-.490 by .470 in length.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/26/13.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting partner shot a buck last week (shot him twice) on Christmas Eve. I helped him clean the deer and recovered two bullets from one deer (I have only recovered one bullet in my life before these). They are from a Remington factory load in .30-06 SPRG - 150 grain CoreLokt; the smaller one was shot from 180 yards, the larger was a neck shot at 30 yards - cannot believe that one didn't go through.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I each got one this year,mine was a 53 tsx @3400 22-250 doe quartering away at 40 yards or so.ended up against the front leg bone on the far side.

ran 40 yards,very little blood to follow.

his was same gun/load,fully overpenetrated.about 65 yards ,broadside.

[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
that was one tough Carolina deer. LOL.

I did have a hunting partner shoot a buck at Thornbury Plantation with a 150gr 30-06 and he found the bullet too. It was a frontal shot at close range and found the bullet just under the hide back by the guts. The core-lock looked like something out of an add.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not very impressive penetration, was it?

No disrespect intended.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread is now 7 years old. Is that a record for resurrection?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Here, let me help keep it alive.

250 grain Barnes Spit-Fire over 100 grains of Pyrodex.

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm afraid I can't match that. I've shot a bunch of deer with a 270 and a 300 WSM but have never recovered a bullet. From elk, yes, lots of times, but never from a deer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

My thought too

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hope it is a record! Great thread. I just did my part.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Found further up in nasal cavity. Bounced off cheek (bone fell away in boiling). Hit spine and angled up and under brain pan. 50 yards. Colt Python 6". Hornady Leverevolution 140gr.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got an NRA mug with a couple .50 cal MZ bullets, 12 ga reg (and sabot) and a few .44 mags.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Right: Hornady .495 ball, 160# dressed 9 pt on the run, TC NewEnglander (100gr FFg), fwd of onside shoulder, recovered behind offside shoulder under the hide. Shot was 35yards. 1988 IIRC

Left: TC Maxihunter 275gr. 100gr FFg, TC Hawken Silver Elite, onside shoulder hit, found under hide on other shoulder. Shot was 25 yds.
2007 or 2008. Ugly little 6 pt, taken from the ground in a swamp.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 05/18/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Top left: WW HI Supreme 12 ga, 2 3/4" 12 yard shot on 150# 8 pt. Shot on fron edge of near shoulder, slug was under hide at opp side ham. That deer jumped sky high and ran 75 yards. I was on the ground when I shot him (called him in)

IIRC, the right one is a Winchester 2 3/4", 8 pt shot just above the heart at 77 yds. The other is either another reg 2 3/4" Winchester on a 7 pt I crawled up on, 20 yards, in the rain, while he rubbed a tree in the CRP.....or a 3" that whopped a 9 pt from a treestand, less than 40 yards.

Used to remember all this stuff, had it on Excel too (all shots ever taken, temp, location, date, distance, weapon blah blah blah). Kinda sucks that memory isn't as goof as it used to be..........screw it, that's what beer is for.

[Linked Image]

Did recover some of a 200gr .35 Rem, doe at 50 yards (hit shoulder trying for upset). Nuked 175# 9 pt next season, in and out at 65 yards or so. Only other centerfire deer was in and out too, Norma 236gr JHP in factory .44 mag.

Have some other bullets from deer, can't remember what deer they came from..........

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Loved the WW HI Supremes. Usually in and out, pinpoint placement, and deer down at the shot or very close to it.
Noticeable improvement over fosters at same hit locations.

I sold my tuned 870 when Winchester dropped those slugs.

In smoothbores, always ran WW 2 3/4". Ran 3" in a problematic Mossberg 835. Tried some old Active in an 870P.........it fragged bad at 25 yard smack on 8 pt. 10 yrs before, hunting bud took first deer with Active in a M500. Same result. Dead deer but slug busted up into 3 or 4 pcs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.