-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always use priority mail with Midwayusa and have never had a problem and shipping is reasonable, I've oredered alot of stuff through them too.Often get my order in 2-3 days.

1 and done
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nemesis
Never quite understood this "Handling" charge myself.

Don't the people that pack and ship the orders work for the company and aren't their salaries and wages part of it's cost base already?

If so, their selling price should be based on their total costs (fixed and variable) plus a margin for profit and these "Handling" charges should already have be included.

Seems like there's some double-dipping going on here......don'tcha think?

No, I don't think it is double-dipping. I've seen where folks have compared shopping carts of Midway, Grafs, Natchez, and Midsouth for the same items. I have also done this myself when comparison shopping. Most of the time, the total cost including shipping is fairly even ... within a few dollars typically. Now there might be a few items where one or the other is significantly cheaper, or having a sale while Midway is not. But generally, they are all about the same. So they can either price in the handling cost on the product, or make it a fee like they do at Midway, or some combination of the two.

It still pays to shop if you have the time and inclination. I use them all and like them all. I don't think it is deceptive, just different than what some folks expect or are used to. For certain, it makes sense to make larger orders from Midway, else that handling charge inflates your per unit cost. I've never had trouble making large orders when purchasing. But if you only need one item and can't find it around town, then it bites. Perhaps the other online vendors are better for that.

Here is a link to a comparison done on the shootersforum. It is the first post of the thread:

Comparison of Online Vendors - shootersforum. Now this is only one comparison. On a different day with a different basket of goods, the order of least to greatest cost vendor might change. But it illustrates the point that they weren't all that far apart.

As my father once told me, "What they don't make on the peanuts, they make up for on the popcorn."

Last edited by Gringo Loco; 12/02/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their shipping charges become a topic of conversation here from time to time. I still say they're quite reasonable and their sale prices are usually quite good, IMO. Does perturbe me slighly that they'll advertise something on sale in their monthly paper that is completely out of stock when they mail them out. Like the .25 cal 100 gr BTs that were out of stock until the last day of Nov.

All things considered I like their site and order from them frequently, though they're not my only source for components.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I have an order en route from MidwayUSA. It is the UPS Basic and it is showing tracking information on UPS' website. However, it is not showing an estimated date of arrival as it normally would. I didn't really pick up on the fact that something had changed in the shipping options when I made the purchase, but it did seem a little cheaper than usual. Previously, I've always used UPS ground. Will see how it goes.

Well, my order made late in the day on 11/30/09 just arrived delivered by the brown truck. No USPS involved for this UPS Basic shipment FYI. I'm happy with it. S&H charge was $8.85 for $253 worth of merchandise.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I ordered mid day on Saturday, and chose the $11 flat rate USPS shipping to Alaska. It arrived on Tuesday's mail plane. FWIW..

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.