24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shouldn't somebody be pointing out that anyone who doesn't like it can always start their own company? frown

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in KS. MidwayUSA is in MO. If I order AM today, the Big Brown Truck delivers PM tomorrow. It's happened many, many times using UPS Ground.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For your viewing pleasure at home, the ninth and tenth digits/letters in an 18-figure UPS tracking number denote method of shipping. For example, 03 is Ground and PP is Basic.
Also, there are two UPS Basics, Basic 1 and Basic 2. I don't know the difference, and don't care...as long as it works.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Shouldn't somebody be pointing out that anyone who doesn't like it can always start their own company? frown

Exactly. Midway is far superior to most of the mail order shooting supply houses out there. You will find far more positive feedbacks to the negatives.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I went to the web site and didn't see that option.

Last edited by sse; 12/01/09.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably should clarify my comment. I get tired of having that response thrown up each and every time someone expresses displeasure over something business related.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have no problems with Midway USA's shipping.

me either

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I work for UPS. We have no home delivery by the Post Office here. One thing I reccomend is to always include both your P.O. Box and your physical address. This way no matter how it is shipped we always have the proper address. Believe me we get just as frustrated as you do over this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its cheaper for UPS to have the Post Office deliver its own packages than to pay their own drivers. UPS and the PO are both making money off of it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Fed Ex Ground delivers almost twice as much to the PO than we do. I delivered over 100 pkgs today to the PO of UPS Basic.

Believe it or not its big business. UPS also delivers the USPS' bulk mail to the USPS.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have an order en route from MidwayUSA. It is the UPS Basic and it is showing tracking information on UPS' website. However, it is not showing an estimated date of arrival as it normally would. I didn't really pick up on the fact that something had changed in the shipping options when I made the purchase, but it did seem a little cheaper than usual. Previously, I've always used UPS ground. Will see how it goes.

As for TexasTBag's issue ... I once called in to Midway after making an online order, and piggybacked some additional items to the online order via the phone. It went off without a hitch and the lady was very nice to deal with. Perhaps it was a case of the order already having been filled in your case? ... whereas mine was not when I called? Who knows. I still like Midway overall, but I've used some of the other online vendors too including Midsouth, Natchez, Grafs and Cabelas. Grafs may charge a flat rate, but when you get the total all added up when said and done, they will be the same or somewhat more expensive than Midway more often than not. They are all fairly close on price with a few exceptions on particular items. Hands down though, I think Midway has the best website, although it has some glitches since they've made some revision to it. I find Midway's competitors' websites are not as friendly to navigate. Doesn't stop me from using them, but Midway gets the lion's share of my purchases.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not just Midway,....it's some new deal's been struck, between two competing freight outfits.

The snivelling whiners haven't lived in Africa, S. America, or a coupla', other 3rd World chit-holes where mail and freight can take a month and a half,...and cost $100s in bribes, to get at all.

Buck up, alla' you "Change" types

....it's just beginning.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
croldfort,

Have you ordered lately? I live in KC and also got the next day delivery for the lowball rate, but my last package got routed east to Earth City (their regional hub) first and added a few days to the delivery. Couldn't have saved any money to haul it from Central MO to the east side before delivery to the West edge of the state. Made me reconsider where I want to shop first for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No such thing as low shipping rates to AK. Midway shipping ain't cheap, but it does get here.

I usually go with Midsouth as they generally have better prices on stuff, and better shipping, but Midway typically has more stuff in stock.

I'm generally pretty simple, stuff is in stock, I buy it, and am happy when it shows up 3-5 days later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
carlm,

I just got off the phone with Midway. I left a message that I will not be doing business with them until I hear they have discontinued the UPS Basic.

Tell me I am a reactionary.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll go with Grafs, pay a bit more up front and have my entire order shipped for $4.50.
Midway is still taking the low road with their unfair and deceptive practices.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
carlm,

I just got off the phone with Midway. I left a message that I will not be doing business with them until I hear they have discontinued the UPS Basic.

You're a reactionary Rich.

When you order on Midway's site,during the checkout,they give you four or five different shipping options.You can choose UPS Basic,USPS Flat Rate,UPS Next Day Air,ect.,whichever fits your pocket book.

Those that choose UPS Basic at checkout only have themselves to blame.You get what you pay for.I always get UPS Ground or USPS Flat Rate and my packages always get here within a week.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What gets my sack is that they charge 12 bucks to ship it, in a $4.50 flat-rate box, then tell you the other $7.50 went to "Handling"

WTF??

As a rule, I quit doing business with Midway when they quit giving discounts to FFL holders.

Many other reloading supply houses will honor a C&R FFL. As an extra added bonus, you can buy old beat up Mil-surp rifles without a middleman.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
What gets my sack is that they charge 12 bucks to ship it, in a $4.50 flat-rate box, then tell you the other $7.50 went to "Handling"

Never quite understood this "Handling" charge myself.

Don't the people that pack and ship the orders work for the company and aren't their salaries and wages part of it's cost base already?

If so, their selling price should be based on their total costs (fixed and variable) plus a margin for profit and these "Handling" charges should already have be included.

Seems like there's some double-dipping going on here......don'tcha think?

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
carlm,

Grandpa!(grin)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nemesis
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Never quite understood this "Handling" charge myself.

Don't the people that pack and ship the orders work for the company and aren't their salaries and wages part of it's cost base already?

If so, their selling price should be based on their total costs (fixed and variable) plus a margin for profit and these "Handling" charges should already have be included.

Seems like there's some double-dipping going on here......don'tcha think?

It probably is a "gratuity" that is automatically charged to all customer groups of one or larger.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.