24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I saw this on Gunbroker, wanted it and wonder...What is it really worth? It is a 24,000 serial number range and in near mint condition. 22 Hornet, 24 inch barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
BP-B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All of those Model 70 Hornets I see for sale have asking prices that are Ludicrous. $3200 and higher.
Last year I bought a Model 54 Hornet and paid $1300 for it on auction on GunBroker. It's in immaculate condition too.

Edit to add: I saw one for sale not long ago, and the price was $4995.:((((

Last edited by DMB; 12/03/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sold a 4 digit SN Hornet, with a Lyman Targetspot scope, in 1995 for $1600.00. Looks like it has doubled in value.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel: Even with the missing rear sight on that pre-war Model 70 Hornet - it IS still worth a LOT of money!
"IF" there are no extra holes in the receiver and "IF" the barrel has NOT been "K'ed" out and it IS near mint like you describe AND I owned it I would not even consider selling it for less than $3,750.00!
The first pre-64 Winchester Model 70 I "collected" was a post war 22 Hornet and I paid $125.00 for it - it IS a minty Rifle and I turned down an offer twenty times the amount I originally paid for it, a while back!
If you happen to buy that Rifle I have a rear sight for it that I might consider parting with.
Yeah I would LIKE to have that pre-war Hornet in MY collection but I don't deal through the mail on collector type guns - to much room for obfuscation and outright deceit!
Be careful shopping online for collector guns!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Shrapnel: Even with the missing rear sight on that pre-war Model 70 Hornet - it IS still worth a LOT of money!
"IF" there are no extra holes in the receiver and "IF" the barrel has NOT been "K'ed" out and it IS near mint like you describe AND I owned it I would not even consider selling it for less than $3,750.00!
The first pre-64 Winchester Model 70 I "collected" was a post war 22 Hornet and I paid $125.00 for it - it IS a minty Rifle and I turned down an offer twenty times the amount I originally paid for it, a while back!
If you happen to buy that Rifle I have a rear sight for it that I might consider parting with.
Yeah I would LIKE to have that pre-war Hornet in MY collection but I don't deal through the mail on collector type guns - to much room for obfuscation and outright deceit!
Be careful shopping online for collector guns!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for the info. I did buy it and sent the check out today. I am committed. I also ordered 500 rounds of brass and bought some bullets. I will still need some dies, but that will happen as I am certain someone will have a cheap set on the campfire or the Bozeman gun show next weekend.

I agree on the deceit, but I always try to talk to the seller and you can learn alot about the gun and the seller both. I feel quite good on the whole deal. I can't wait to see it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
as much as I would love a pre war model 70.. even chambered in 22 Hornet.. you won't see me shelling out big bucks on a 22 Hornet, regardless of who made it..or how old it is..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shrapnel, I don't know if you have loaded for the hornet much but I have found the Lee collet neck sizer very handy. As much as I do not care for Lee loading tools this one seems to extend the life of brass quite a bit.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Geez, I would have waited to see how well it shoots before buying 500 cases for it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel: I am just thrilled you are getting such a wonderful and rare Rifle for yourself!
I hope your conversation with the owner is a harbinger of "good things to come" with said Rifle!
I saw a set of 22 Hornet RCBS dies at my local sport/pawn shop here in Dillon a couple weeks ago - I will re-check there today or tomorrow.
This sport shop is usually closed on Mondays but he was open this morning when I drove by - he sometimes opens so the UPS and Fed/Ex folks can make deliveries.
Again congratulations on the cool, new (and RARE!) Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: Herein lies the error of your ways regarding "collector guns" - my BANK is offering 00000.47% interest on my savings account!
Not even 1% interest!!!
In other words for every $1,000.00 I leave at my bank for a YEAR I earn $4.70!!!
Hardly worth the risk of leaving that much money in a BANK!
That Rifle on the other hand has been earning about 8.00% or maybe even 10.00% interest - in the way of increased value every year since it was new!
Not only will Shrapnel earn money in the way of increased value (appreciation!) with his newly invested dollars he WILL be pridefully owning (and maybe even shooting!) one of the "coolest" 22 Hornet Rifles ever made - THE pre-war Winchester Model 70!
The bluing alone on that pre-war Model 70 is more beautiful and more beautifully done than on any factory Hornet Rifle ever made - anywhere in the world!
Then just slide the bolt open on that pre-war Model 70 action and enjoy the smoothness and strength that is obvious while one does so!
Aaaahhhh......
I have owned Hornets made by Sako, Anschutz, Ruger #1's, savage, Ruger 77's, post-war Model 70's and some Winchester Model 43's - none of them compare to the strength, safety, good looks and investment potential with that of a pre-war Model 70 Hornet!
YOUR refusal to invest in collector guns is shortsighted and only punishes YOU in the over-all scheme of life!
Invest carefully and enjoy life MORE - is my motto!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two Hornets, one a Super Grade in mint condition and the other a pre war standard in near mint condition. Cant see selling them, even for want they command now days. Have never fired the SG and I believe it never has been but the standard shoots great with open sights. Shoots well enough that P-dogs die at 100 yards.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nathanial: Good for you on the ownership of those TWO classey Model 70 Hornets!
I would have loved to have been there when you mortified the Prairie Dogs with the standard Rifle in 22 Hornet!
Keep a close and careful eye on those two!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG;

you read my post's meaning wrong...I admit I would not purchase one for investment purposes...

My motivation would be in purchasing it for an heirloom, to pass on down to my son...

granted the Hornet is not my cup of tea... on the other hand, one in 220 Swift would be.. a local guy has one, that was bought by his grandfather in 1940...who evidently used it as a deer and elk rifle..I think he looks for me when he has it at the range, just to gloat as I lust over it..

I admit, if it was a perfect world, I'd have a safe full of Winchester target rifles none newer than about 1955 to hand down to my son... and his children..

firearms like that are priceless in my eyes..

so I apologize if my post read negatively to what I was trying to get across.. It is strictly the chambering..

but then again, if I had a Model 54 is 30/30 and 35 Remington, I'd think I had won the lottery...

this is a reason I won't part with any of the Model 70s I own now...

while you and I share our love for varmint rigs and shooting varmints, when it comes to classic firearms... the Old Stuff from Winchester, Rem, Mauser, Springfield etc are what I wish ALL of my big game rifles were...

and in old non trendy calibers... 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 256 Newton... Model 54s in 270, 30 Govt, 300 Savage, 6.5 x 54, 7.65 Belgian...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel,
When you get the rifle and get it shooting give us a report! My pre war 70 Hornet is my favorite Hornet to shoot. Wont shoot the 45's for sh^t but shoots 40's and 35's. Have never put a scope on it but I believe it would out shoot my Cooper that I have never been impressed with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.