Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hoping someone could fill me in about deer and elk hunting in this Idaho unit. Terrain, trophy potential, animal densities, etc...

Thanks in advance!
Erich

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can't tell you about the game situation now, but the terrain, particularly in the eastern part, is some kind of rugged. It includes part of the Sawtooth Wilderness Area which is a a massive rock range full of 10K peaks. Google it to see some pics. The western part isn't as high and rugged, but it's still full of steep, rocky mountains. It's largely forested but there are open sagebrush areas, too.

Here's a couple photos of part of it that I stole off the web.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am curious why your asking about just unit 35?Idaho Elk hunting is now done by zones and that unit falls into the Sawtooth Zone/Units/33/34/35 and unit 36.So if you get the tag,you can hunt all four zones..

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want to talk about 36, I can tell you all about it. Avoid it except for camera hunting for scenery. No elk. No deer. I think even the wolves have moved out looking for their chow elsewhere. I hunted 6 days in there this fall and only heard 1 or 2 shots. We saw a few elk, but darn few. We didn't see a single deer. However, this is on the other side of the wilderness area from 35 so game numbers could be considerably different.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thinking about doing a drop-camp with an outfitter based in unit 35....just trying to do some homework on the area.

Thanks guys and keep them coming!
Erich

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Density isn't very high, at about 2.4 elk/sq mi. Hunter density isn't that bad at about 1.5 per sq mi of public land. Trophy potential isn't very good, or Idaho has no idea how many elk are really there, or they don't survey the hunters well because I came up with 100% of the available bulls being harvested. Success is fairly poor. I rate it 56th out of 85 general units.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That whole area- 36, 35, etc. are not good elk hunting areas these days, IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking you have your answer and now perhaps it's time to look for another option.

Best of luck to ya! And I'd encourage you to be doubly careful about drop camps.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That area was never a great Elk area in my opinion.I used to hunt around it all the time as in Grandjean packing back in towards Grahm and Atlanta.I worked in the Deadwood/Scott Mountain area for two years driving and camping through all of it..The only way we could get in and out in the winter was from the Stanley end.There are Elk but there are better places to hunt them in my opinion,even now with the wolves.

As for Drop Camps..They usually take you to there last stand leaving the good places for there other clients.They scout it out prior to and know where the Elk are or were prior to hunting season and save the best for the high dollar clients..Again my opinion from an outfitter.

If I was wanting to hunt Idaho,I would go to North Idaho up in the panhandle not below the I-90.

Good luck..Jayco

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.