Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't know yet for sure. Used 100 grain Grand Slams this year, which killed deer fine as they always have for me. I would like similar mushrooming capabilities but with more retained weight to give even greater penetration.

I've had great results with the 130 TSX in my -06, so am inclined to try one of the Barnes offerings in 243. I just would prefer a larger wound channel than I think I will get with it in 243.

That leaves me intrigued with the Scirocco, the Interbond (which I hear very mixed reports about), and the Federal Fusion. I'm tempted to give the Fusion a try in factory form, as I have seen excellent results with it in larger calibers.

I am sort of hoping that the rumored Speer bonded hot cor comes out soon, and replaces one-for-one the 105 grain spitzer. That seems like it could be the cat's meow.

If I were buying today, I think I'd try the Scirocco.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your running a 243 w/90 SSIIs for bear, that speaks volumes for confidence.

Great feedback Brad, thanks for the post, and that Pic is worth ....1k words..as they say.

Great frontal area, and wt. retention I would guess would be similar to a 150gr cup/core 30 cal.....far better than the 60gr or so left of a 120gr 7mm Hornady SP I dropped a deer w from my former 7mmBR rifle.

We nuts can get caught up in 'this vs. that bullet' debate, but it pays to do your homework. Odds are you will be happier w/your Swift vs. Berger for how YOU hunt. If in open country, a Berger perhaps lacking an exit would be less a concern for leaving a blood trail if needed.....not that it would be far, but sometimes a deer need not cover alot of ground to 'get lost' when trying to recover.

Thanks much Brad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DD, I'd say the TSX has an OUTSTANDING record of very fast kills on deer/hogs and the like, inc. in 6mm and would simply look at the overwhelming body of evidence to give you confidence that the TSX has little to want, as the SSII, and the 95BT is in my mind a great bullet also, seems to be built stout for penetration where needed, no recovered bullets from the 2 deer I shot a couple of weeks ago from my 6BR but they did all I would ask. Just don't discount a TSX 85 in the 243 or similar is all I am saying FWIW. They are very deadly.

For a pic DD of one, srcoll down on this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ger_1_International_Who_has_#Post3091822

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
FWIW the Nosler Partition is a tried and true friend. high weight retention (which means good penetration) good expansion, decent bc, if they would shorten the bearing surface a little and throw a cannelure on, they would really be in business, the way it is now, it is similar in construction to Swift A-frames which are commonly used on big bears and the like... and the noslers for probably a pinch less than you would get the SS II's for on sale.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle big bears with a 243 and any make bullet just yet, but deer I've no problem.

As the Grand Slams are now defunct, I need to replace them with something else. Just trying to do my homework, and especially to find something that flys a bit flatter (higher BC).

The Scirocco sure looks good.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that I pop/dropped a couple of deer w/my 6BR/95BT, time for it to get fed some SSIIs for the next WT deer I hit with it.

Gotta love dropping deer w/an inadequate round wink I cannot tell you how fast the one I shot in the neck dropped! Just as fast as the one I shot in the neck a decade ago w/a M96 chopped sporterized 6.5x55 w/120 CL's wink

When I get a close shot, neck shots are the bomb, lights out and no meat damage to speak of, nor tracking to worry after the bullet hits! Hit them there w/70 TNTs in a 243 thru 200gr BT in 338/06 where the neck joins the body (200 yds, just flattened him like a Silhoutte I swear wink ), like you jerk the rug out from them. Anyway, in the interest of 'field testing' my 338/06 back then (something to resist more than a neck shot), I shot a small deer thru the lungs (hated to destroy shoulder) to get more 'data' then just a neck shot, and the darned thing ran about 100 yds, came back towards me and I saw blood pumping out an exit the size of a 50cent piece as it ran by me! On another large buck, a raking shot - he went three leaps and down, the 200BT weighed 120gr retained IIRC, just under hide past shoulder.

The deer I lunged w/338/06 obviously was not big enough to feel the shock of my big bore - LOL. I was shocked, he was not! Made me wish after the hit seeing him run I had brought my TC carbine in 6mm TCU instead w/85 BTHP SGK I had loaded! Faster expansion not a bad thing sometimes on smaller deer. Doubt it would have gone as far due to quicker expansion.

Yep, gonna try the SSIIs next in my Dakota BR! Doubt they kill any faster than the 95 BTs did, but I expect they will do just as well!

On bear, I figure Brad has Blackies in MI....and if he'd use it, that's confidence! I might not try a 95 B tip on a black bear, but a 95 PT for sure so 35 PBBK, I have no issue's w/PTs, but I found a few bullets that do three things compared to PTs:

1) Shoot more accurately (I know most PTs are game accurate)
2) Expand quickly, as a PT will at most ranges
3) Still retain a good bit of weight, open quickly, and leave a wound channel that is more oval shaped vs. perhaps a narrower longer channel, perhaps via a wider frontal area as shown in the pic of the SSII above.

Nit Picking I know, the PTs stand on their own, but my 243/100 PT deer kill long ago never impressed, have to say the other day my 6BR 95 BT load did about the same exit on the rib cage of the deer I shot with the 100PT. I'd not COMPLETELY trust the 95BT against the Heaviest of bone before thorough testing as I would the TSX and likely the SSII and as we know the PT will punch thru. So no I would not hit an Elk or such w/95BT thru shoulders, but lung shot to 250, absolutely, Caribou as well.

Yes Brad, we get wrapped up in the minutia, odds are us nuts placing the bullet properly would most often yield the same success.....due to our shot placement, but I believe there are subtle differences, sometimes greater, that give confidence as much as solid field performance, warranting using the best we can choose. Those differences while small on many shots, might make the difference on the worst of shots should one be forced or choose on the poorest of angles/presentation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BradArnett
To be honest with you, I don't get my head too wrapped up in bullets and don't really take part in the "this vs. that" bullet threads (grin). I just try to keep it simple and I like a bullet that'll give some penetration and not completely nuke. The little SSII seemed to meet that requirement for me.

Brad...great post, my thoughts exactly.

I have flip flopped btwn 95BTs and 90SSIIs for a while. I want penetration, exit holes and a lot of blood. The 95BT is a great bullet and I have had no problems when I've let it fly. I have always been careful with the shots I take with the 95BTs though. Not taking a shot at deer quarting hard towards me primarily. 99.9% of the time, its no big deal, I hunt plenty during the season and can wait a shot out or will get them another time. But....if Kong walks out, and gives you that split second shot, I want to take it in confidence, and I just have more confidence in the little 90SSII. I have just ordered another 100 of 90SSII and will table the BTs for a while.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.