Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thought I'd show a few pictures of each in use and talk a little about how they have performed for me. I've owned a String Ridge 2 since last spring, and had the chance to try out the Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for a couple of weekends this fall. They are two of the very few tents I would consider top end in their class.

Big Agnes String Ridge
-Comes in at 5 lbs. 6 oz with included snow stakes, and about 5lb 10 oz. with added guylines. It's nice that they give you snow stakes, but for anything other than sand and snow, more substantial stakes are essential.
-31.5 sq. feet inside (90 in. long); 11 sq. foot vestibule; 42" head height
-Cordura rip-stop fly and floor
-Free standing; body clips on to poles
-One door; zip open foot vent with screen

I've had it in temperatures down to the 15 degree range, in steady 40-50 mph winds, and pitched on both snow and soil. It's probably got @ 15 nights on it so far.
Here it is all guyed out on the Ingraham glacier on Mt. Rainier.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It pitches very quickly, and can easily be put up by one person. It doesn't have an abundance of guy out points, but they are well thought out. It does not come with guy lines for the tent body, so those had to be added at a small weight cost. Lines on the fly come stock.

One of it's best features are the two "frog-eye" style vents that you see on either side of the vestibule. With these open, you can get very consistent airflow through the tent and out the vestibule. The amount of air can be easily controlled using the interior foot-end screen vent and screen door to varying degrees.

Here is the interior and a shot of the foot vent (the Nallo GT vent is nearly identical). Pardon the mess and the stuff sack hanging from the ceiling smile.
[Linked Image]

The vestibule is sufficient but unspectacular. It is enough room for two med. packs and a cooking set-up.
Here is a shot (not a great one) out the vestibule; there were two packs in it at the time. The little second picture shows the proportions a little better.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the few things that I dislike about the String Ridge is the high profile that the back of the tent has (see first photo). It has a great wedge shape into the wind from almost all directions, but if you had a serious wind (maybe 75 mph+) that hit the side of the taller back end squarely, it wouldn't be ideal. It handled steady, heavy winds with ease however, and I would not be afraid to take it anywhere in N. America if pitched properly.

The fabric easily increases the internal temp. 10-20 degrees with two people inside. I found the height and length sufficient for my 6'2" frame, with enough interior space to live comfortably. This is very subjective of course.

No problems with the fly or floor; they seem WAY more durable than sil-nylon and not much heavier, which is one reason that I chose this tent.

Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT
-5lbs. 12 oz. as advertised with stakes, guylines, and no stuff sack. The stakes are pretty decent DAC all-arounders, and they give you one for each guyline and tent loop.
-Coated Kerlon fabric--played with a sample of this stuff and it is incredibly strong
-30.1 sq. feet, 88 in. long, 40 in. height, 23.7 sq. foot vestibule.
-Poles thread into sleeves. It's an internally pitched tube-style tent, so you pitch the fly with poles and the tent hangs from them.
-One door; foot-end vent; two vestibule door options.

Had this one in temps. down to 0 and gusts up to 50-60 mph; again, pitched on both snow and soil. I again observed warming up to 20 degrees with two people inside.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/SnowyMountaineer/P1010288.jpg[/img]

It's not the easiest to pitch by yourself, but with two people it's no problem. I've never been a fan of threading poles through sleeves. The guylines all self-equalize, so they are a snap.

It breathes and vents very well, similar to the String Ridge, with a foot vent, screen door, and vestibule vent. Air movement and temperature can be easily adjusted.

What really shines about the Nallo GT (specific to the GT version) is the HUGE 23.7 sq. foot vestibule. It has enough room for packs, snowshoes, rifles, boots, and cookware with plenty to spare. The downside of all that space is finding a place to pitch it. Usually wouldn't be a problem, but we consistently found that it took up way more space than we planned for at each camp site. Could be a problem in certain applications.
Here are some photos of the vestibule.

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/SnowyMountaineer/P1010283.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/SnowyMountaineer/P1010282.jpg[/img]

It handled 50-60 mph gusts with aplomb. The tubular style isn't exactly low profile, but it sheds wind well regardless. If properly guyed out, I'd take this one anywhere in N. America as well, and many people do!

What I don't like about this tent:
-Small interior pockets. The String ridge has much larger and more abundant mesh organization pockets.
-The body "sags" into you. The tubular shape makes it feel pretty roomy, but the body hangs from the poles in such a way that it begins to lay on your bag at the end and sides if you're my height. The foot of my bag got pretty wet by the end of the night. I also couldn't sit up without hitting the ceiling; those extra 2 inches in length and height of the String Ridge are nice for me.
Here is the inside of the tent. You can see the foot vent is the same design.

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/SnowyMountaineer/P1010279.jpg[/img]

Summary
For spring through early fall alpine trips where a four season tent is a necessity I'd prefer the String Ridge. It's has a slightly roomier feel, is easy to use, and tucks into small places nicely.
For more gear intensive trips (generally colder season) and for cooking in the vestibule, the Nallo GT 2 wins hands down. It's hard to imagine how much extra space there is until you set it up. When you've got gear up to your neck and want it all covered, the vestibule is awesome.
Both are incredible tents that can handle about anything you can throw at them, at very reasonable weights. Both are also covered by excellent warranties.
The String ridge is about $140 cheaper, making it a great value.
Hope you enjoyed the review; I sure enjoyed the chance to be out and about in these shelters.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome review!!

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool review! How do you like the Neoair pad in the last pic?

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Actually not my pad, but I did try it out for a night. It's pretty impressive given the specs. I only have two complaints with it:
1)The price...high end gear is expensive, but this one can be hard to justify. If cost isn't an issue, I think it's tough to beat for an inflatible pad; it's just so darn light and comfy.
2)The horizontal baffles make it feel skinnier than it is. When you are close to a side of the pad, they kind of "roll" you off, so to speak. Not a huge deal, but I like the vertical baffles of my BA insulated air core better. If they were the same price though, I'd go Neoair and save 7 oz. (I use the mummy shape BA pad at 21 oz.).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the Neoair review too. I've been thinking about that pad!

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SM, how about the Neoair's "noise" level?

On the showroom floor I was shocked at how loud it was (crinkle, crinkle, crinkle)... did you find it a problem?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brad,

That's my pad, and I know what you mean about the noise. It hasn't proved to be an issue for me, either it isn't as noisy as it used to be or I just don't notice it much. I do actually really like the 'grippiness' of the surface, you definitely slide around on it less than a regular Thermarest.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The "grippiness" is a nice benefit; it really holds your bag in place. Carl's right on the noise deal, it's pretty crinkly but it never kept me awake while on my own pad next to it or when using it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great review, thanks! I need to give more thought/effort in trying some 4th season camping. Just hard to make myself go after considering that usually all my big game tags are over by then. I do have a late season cow elk tag this year and hopefully we'll have some snow to camp on by season's end on 1/31...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't done a lot of camping December - February myself, but I was very happy to have one of these two tents during rifle season backpack trips in MT and WY this year. Temps got down to zero, winds to ~ 60 mph, and snow depth exceeded 2 feet.

On the bigger mountains '4 season' conditions can pretty much be had year round, like during SM's Rainer trip this summer.

Here's another of Snowy's String Ridge in Wyoming in more temperate conditions this fall.

[Linked Image]

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice review!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nice review, I have a Kaitum 3 and I have never experienced the sag inside of the tent that is shown in your pictures. Maybe it was just the angle of the pictures but it did not look as though the Hille was pitched taught enough(side to side).

Thanks again

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Powerguy,
That's sure something to think about. I remember her being pretty taught; had to be to shed wind that well all night. I'm thinking that when the pics were taken the loops needed snugged up again after things settled a bit. The "sagging" seemed to be something that progressed over the night, but it happened every night. Could also be related to condensation I suppose, although we never had an apparent issue with it. If I wasn't a little on the tall side and using a long bag, I don't think the fabric sag would've been nearly as noticeable. Thanks for your response.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
If I wasn't a little on the tall side and using a long bag, I don't think the fabric sag would've been nearly as noticeable.

+1

I'm 5' 10" and didn't notice this problem.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Nallo 2 (Not the GT model) and ended up selling it because of the contact issue at the foot of the bag (I'm 6'). I also didn't like the threading the poles issue. I got a Hilleberg catalog and went through all the specs and the Jannu kept coming up as a winner. I got one with the proceeds of the Nallo and have been very happy. It's long and tall and sets up with clips on the poles ASAP. The vestibule is kinda small, being the only negative. I LOVE the Jannu. I still have a Soulo, and had the same problem with the foot of the bag getting wet against the inner tent. I'm now trying out a Tarptent Scarp I (actually leaving in the morning, and snow is predicted!). I've had it up to seam seal and it's tall enough and long enough, has two vestibules and seems to be very sturdy with the optional crossing poles. It may put my Soulo and Akto on the market...........
Don

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,087
Posts18,463,935
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.