Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not that I'm a fan, but in the 4 months that I've been on the Campfire nobody ever mentions them in a best,favorite type of thread. Why? Just curious.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the old ones made in Belgium.

`Bring Enough Gun`
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ignorance

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
is bliss

I'd take one over a Remington 770, maybe.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Love a 20 gauge English stock Browning Citori.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Zing!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try keeping the action screws tight on one and see how that works out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I gotta say our experience at the shop with them has been excellent...good accuracy reports from customers....nary a one visits the gunsmith shop.....actually stellar...

That being said, most folks can't get past the " Made in Japan" thing, and speaking for myself, that lollipop bolts just gags me....

None in my safe....but I often reccomend them..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Their just so borringgggggggggglllly..............accurate. My abolt '06 drives tacks if I do my part.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They sure aren't pretty, but not as ugly as a Blaser. Blaser looks like an Edsel.

T/C Icon is another ugly rifle. The action is pitiful looking.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are great if you are into frustration and rust... DOn't go near the (big) water...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I recently handled an X-Bolt and loved the balance, action, and general execution/fit.

If I needed another rifle (I DON'T) I would buy one!

I just don't understand, though, why Savage, Browning, et al are putting 22" sporter barrels (rather than my preferred 24" sporter) on 22/250 caliber rifles...!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot only Browning Citoris for shotguns,but after owning one A-Bolt with that over designed magazine system,I won't own another.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Need"?? When did that happen?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 257Deland
They sure aren't pretty, but not as ugly as a Blaser. Blaser looks like an Edsel.

T/C Icon is another ugly rifle. The action is pitiful looking.

I gotta really agree with you on the Blaser sick

Same with the Icon...though I am currently shooting one in a .243 SS/Syn and I LOVE it...I just don't spend much time looking at/caressing it!
Its kinda like a Craftsman Cresent wrench or a stainless pistol...it works great...but has no soul... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am one of those guys that can't get past the "Made in japan" thing. Life is too short to hunt here in the gool ol U.S.A. with a jap rifle. Too many good American made options to do that. I don't care how well they may shoot, I aint buying or hunting with one!!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had both Belgium and Japanese Browning rifles and in my oinion one is built as well as the other. The Japanese make very fine firearms. That didn't used to be the case, but now they can hold their own with anyone, and probably be able to build the finest guns in the world if so inclined to. People just can't get past the name and history.

`Bring Enough Gun`
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
orion03, I agree with you totally.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I guess I don't know any better. Own a-bolts and have hunted in Alaska, Canada and lower 48 with mine in all sorts of nice and crappy weather. Never a problem. All shoot under MOA (have to find the best factory load or reload). I really like the tang safety and 60 degree bolt throw. If a US manufacturer made a tang safety 60 degree bolt throw I would buy it. And yes, I shoot the old Rugers also, and would shoot more if I could figure out how to make them lighter. Any constructive ideas on that?

Last edited by KLM; 12/04/09.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love them. Lightweight, accurate, reliable... for me at least.

Others claim otherwise, but then again look at how many problems people have had with Remingtons and especially Kimbers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Lightweight, accurate, reliable..."

One out of three ain't bad! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I cant stand the looks of the new ones. I swear I saw a guy in a Star Trek episode that carried a weapon with a similiar stock design.

I had an A-bolt in 300WSM when they came out. It was a light rifle to carry, but couldnt warm up to it. Especially the 60 deg lift. Didnt feel right, so I gave it to my step-father. Love them old High Powers though.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Count me as another one that considers Browning a 'go to' brand - more Brownings than anything else - one for 25+ years - never a problem feeding, firing or shooting accurately...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had 2 and both were horrible excuses for rifles, Sent them both down the road and swore them off.

That being said I do know a lot of people that love them but for me there is just something about them that doesn't satisfy my inner rifle looney.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't like the way the stocks fit me, and I agree about the oddball bolt handle, and the over-engineered magazines. Come to think of it, I just don't like anything about them. Never saw any real purpose to a short-lift bolt, either, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't fuss and cuss about them, I just don't like anything about them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love a 20 gauge English stock Browning Citori.

i have one, choked mod/imp. wandered into a country gun store one day, there she was with a $600 tag on it. got him down $50 and walked with that one.

nice shotgun.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I love my Brownings; A-Bolts and X-Bolts.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I am one of those guys that can't get past the "Made in japan" thing. Life is too short to hunt here in the gool ol U.S.A. with a jap rifle. Too many good American made options to do that. I don't care how well they may shoot, I aint buying or hunting with one!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I too don't like jap products because of WW2. I have owned Browning Belgium made rifles and would still have them if they had not been so heavy.

Here is one that, while it shot ok, was just too heavy. I sold it for about $550. I feel the same way about standard weight pre 64 M70's in regular calibers. I did keep the bore scope. Those are neat.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't like that funky line in the stock (doesn't Tikka have a useless line also). The 60 degree bolt is ok just round out the knob and turn it to face the right way. The detachable magazine on the X-Bolt I like. They seem to be accurate. The Japanese label would be hypocritical for me to hold against them. What steers me away from them is the pricing. At my local shop the cheapest X-Bolts start at $729 (that seems to be very competitive). Remingtons and Rugers look more attractive at $100-$200 less money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Why no love for a Browning bolt?"

Mmm... Because they''re ugly?

Just my opinion, though...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.
And German-made firearms. I haven't quite figured that out either.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally like the Browning Bolt guns and they out shoot most American Made Bolt Guns without having to do anything other than mounting a scope . Man that puts down a A-Bolt usually hasn't tried one.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had one in 223 for years, long throat, mag box is too long and a mag box block? off to shorten it, but it shoots ok. Its just ugly, too futuristic looking or something. I do have a Hi power (Belgium), Citoris, and a couple of BPS SGs, that I really like. But then they are more "classical" in the aesthetics department. Like someone else said, just can't warm up to it, no soul. So I don't think its a made in Japan thing. One of the things that does bother me is rebarreling, as I understand it you can't rebarrel one.

Last edited by AJD; 12/05/09.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
I personally like the Browning Bolt guns and they out shoot most American Made Bolt Guns without having to do anything other than mounting a scope . Man that puts down a A-Bolt usually hasn't tried one.

+1 for me. The ones I've owned were shooters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just haven't found anything they do better than Ruger/Remmington/Winchester for me. I don't care for the 80 layers of shelac they used to put on their stocks. It was like holding a piece of wood inside a display case.

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My guns have to be shooters and look a certain (traditional) way. Hunting and shooting is not a job. I don't have to "accept" things in my leisure activities. The X-Bolt is a good product. I would love to have that detachable mag on a Ruger/Remington. The stock turns me off, but so do military looking AR type rifles in the hunting woods. So I don't choose them. A change in stock and price and I'd own an X-Bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guys I know who have and hunt them hunt really hard, shoot em enough to trust them and to know them to be quite accurate.

3 guys I know pretty well run them and they hunt the heck out of them. From time to time I ask if they've had any troubles with them and not once has any of them said yes.

I've known others to run them just not like the above 3 do that I mention and they've traveled a lot longer and harder than most will ever dream of doing.

Aside from Art, I've not known anyone to have issues with them. But then again I don't anyone who's used them next to the big drink as much as Art has.

Bottom line, I spect if you're not living in a world of salt water like Art then I spect you'll not have any more issues than you would from other makes.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cousin has one that I ordered for him some years back. Shoots REALLY great, in 270, well under an inch and approaches half an inch. We shot it quite a bit to 500 and at 500 it was still hanging in around 5-7 inch groups which ain't bad for an unbedded factory rifle.

Tweaked the trigger and since I don't know how much his kids and he have killed with it, but with 5 deer a piece legal and his wife hunts now and then, he has never called me to complain.

Interesting about the stock bolts too, I KNOW he doesn't pay attention to stuff like that, they've never been loose that I know of.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

It aint a cheap date however....so who's gonna be the guinnea

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/05/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a Stainless Stalker in 7mm with BOSS NIB (almost, only 30 rounds through it). What am I offered?

I'm selling it because I have Rem 700LTD in the same caliber and even I don't need two 7mm's.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Seems to me that Browning rifles are highly touted for their accuracy. In fact my hunting buddy and I both have used A-Bolts (my hunting buddy still does). His is a Stainless Stalker A-Bolt in 30-06 and mine was an A-bolt in 270 Win. Both of these rifles had the BOSS, which I personally like, though I suspect I'm in the minority on this. both were tack-drivers. Anyway, both of our rifles developed firing pin problems (mine also had intermittent feeding problems). Rather than sending mine in for repair, I sold it with full disclosure. My buddy sent his into Browning for repair. IIRC his rifle was returned about 2-3 months later, though the problem was properly fixed. My main point is that the entire Browning firing pin mechanism is quite complex. Yes, they are accurate but I'd always have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind. So, I opted for a bolt action, where I can easily separate the bolt shroud from the firing pin mechanism to do maintenance. Though I don't do this often, it's still nice to be able to do it myself.

Obviously, my comments above are my opinion only. We are all affected by our personal experiences. Other people have used their A-Bolts for years without any problems. So, the old saying, "YMMV", does apply here. However, for me I'll never buy another Browning bolt action. Over the past 30 years I've owned a few bolt actions and never had to do any repair on any of them (with the exception mentioned above).

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the old Belgian ones. The Belgians never bombed Pearl harbor for one thing. wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Partly, those who were raised in coastal Calif during the Pacific war were more concerned with Japanese actions- real and rumored- than German. Partly the feeling that pre-war and for years after, "Made in Japan" on a product was shorthand for third rate. And for more than a decade after the war, GI take-home Arisakas were the cheapest available centerfire rifles to "sporterize".

All that said, I ignored my prejudice and five years ago bought a used A-bolt stainless stalker in 338 win mag. First trip to the range I knew I had made a mistake. Hated the Boss, the rifle was too light for that cartridge, and the scope mounts shot loose from the receiver.

Got a new barrel chambered to 7 remag, a McMillan sako style stock pillar bedded, black Teflon, Talley QD, trigger job. Shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups and the only "Made in Japan" label is inside, on the mag. I guess it's about 75-80% American content now, same as a Honda. But if I had it to do over, I'd buy a Remington or a Mauser.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
I like the old Belgian ones. The Belgians never bombed Pearl harbor for one thing. wink
whelennut
The Belgians also never operated concentration camps, gas chambers, or committed terrorist acts on U.S. soil. (Look up Black Tom Island from WWI.) Your argument holds no water.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lansend
Partly the feeling that pre-war and for years after, "Made in Japan" on a product was shorthand for third rate. And for more than a decade after the war, GI take-home Arisakas were the cheapest available centerfire rifles to "sporterize".
That was my main hangup as well, but I finally broke down and bought a Miroku Auto 5 and had to admit that is actually a little better than its Belgian counterpart. I've since acquired a couple of other Miroku-produced Brownings and can find no quarrel with their fit, finish or function. I briefly owned an A-Bolt II in 7mm-08 and other than its not meeting my customization requirements, was and am damned impressed with how it shot. The Howa 1500 is another damned impressive Japanese-produced firearm. If I were right-handed, I would likely own a couple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it dont matter where a rifle is made
if it shoots good and you like it
why not buy it?
my cousin owns 2 weatherby mark 5 in 257 weatherby and 300 weatherby and they shoot awesome.he has taken numerous deer
more than i will kill in my life time
he also owns a weathereby 270 magnum mark 5 made in germany
and he prefers the japan made ones

Last edited by p3dr0; 12/05/09.

Ill Keep My Money, Freedom, and Guns!
YOU KEEP THE "CHANGE"!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark
"Aside from Art, I've not known anyone to have issues with them. But then again I don't anyone who's used them next to the big drink as much as Art has.

Bottom line, I spect if you're not living in a world of salt water like Art then I spect you'll not have any more issues than you would from other makes."

I believe JJ Hack has used them a bit with the same results I have seen. He had a client in SE that had a barrel banana peel while shooting at a brown bear.

It is obvious salt is bad for Browning...
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bricktop
I have no issues with where they were made and have a bunch of other Brownings, made in Japan, to show for it. My dislike is for A-Borts, not Browning.
art

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Browning Micro Medallion, with a little tweaking. Chambered in 7mm-08. Trigger adjusted to break at 1.5 lbs. Bedded. Twenty-two inch stainless fluted barrel screwed on, then barrel and action teflon coated. Topped with Ziess 3 x 9 Diavari C scope. Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Kills stuff DRT. What's not to like?
GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art-didn't see the deal about JJ and the nanna peel barrel. What do you spect and or what did JJ speculate did it?

I'd think something in the barrel?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC JJ was prety adamant there was not a barrel obstruction. Browning had a bad run of barrel steel a while back, as did most manufacturers, but Browning and Pac-Nor seem to have gotten the worst of it, according to the very limited stuff I have seen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Bricktop
I have no issues with where they were made and have a bunch of other Brownings, made in Japan, to show for it. My dislike is for A-Borts, not Browning.
art
I am aware of that and my comments weren't directed towards you.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hard to place blame on Browning if the steel run sucked....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

True enough .... but show my an American made alternative in 7x42 and perhaps I may spend my moola on that option.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
257Deland: The recent maufactured Browning bolt Rilfes (last 25 years or so) are unattractive and foreign.
The performance they provide can easily and more CHEAPLY be obtained from other factory Rifles - some of which are made in the U.S.A.!
Not only are the recent Brownings unattractive they feel funny to me when I handle them - now indeed that is a subjective and personal observation but it is one that I am certain is shared by many Rifle users.
I have a Browning bolt action Rifle (circa 1968) that is so beautiful and so wonderful to handle and Hunt with that I would NEVER consider selling it!
It is ALSO very accurate!
This Browning bolt action Rifle is in caliber 222 Remington Magnum by the way.
This older Browning bolt action Rifle is indeed on my "favorites list"!
Sadly the newer Brownings don't turn my crank at all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bricktop
art

I too understand that Art and did not intend to infer that your, or anybody else's, dislike for A-Bolts was solely based on where they're made. I'm just curious how many hypocrites hate them only because of where they're made yet have no problem owning products made in other former enemy countries.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

Dober

Mark,

A good friend picked up a Browning Ti a couple of years back in 270WSM. Stupid camo stock, the whole 9 yards.

FWIW I had recommended he get a Montana, but in all honesty I don't think a Kimber would be any better. The Browning stock is very comfortable, you can't make that rifle bobble, and if you want to be a bit generous you can say it shoots into an inch as issued. I did talk him into having it bedded and the crown touched up.

He loves that rifle and has used it a lot in the past two years. That said he is a hunter, not a shooter. The rifle has probably seen 200 rounds in that time.

It is worth mentioning that when working up loads for it with the 130 TSX, we ran into pressures 150 fps sooner that I expected or my Nosler manual predicted. I wouldn't be happy with that, he loves it because I kinda forgot to tell him! wink So far deer, a couple of elk and at least one bear haven't known the difference.

One thought...for what he paid I could have had one hell of a nice little custom built.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A-bolts suck, don't care where they are made........

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Dober

I'm your huckleberry.... 7mm WSM Ti - 1" or smaller groups - I keep waffling between 150gr TSX @ 3100+ or 160gr Nosler AB at 3000 fps. I've handled Kimber Montanas and prefer the Ti stock feel and balance. She kick's like a mule on the bench but is nice to carry.

My two favorite rifles for balance and feel are my Kimber 84M Classic and my wife's LH Browning Micro-Hunter (20" barrel).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Good point, and I'm trying to recall but didn't Sako have some issues with barrels as well?

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/05/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I prefer that handling and feel of the Ti A Bolt as well. Would prefer the stock was black or something like that. And I like the sticky feel of the handle.

Just wished it was priced closer to the Montana.

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

Good point, and I'm trying to recall but didn't Sako have some issues with barrels as well?

Dober

Dober, I believe there were some Sako 75 Finnlights that had the barrels split. This would be roughly 5-10 years ago.
Bad run of Russian steel was one internet report but who knows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have issues with both Browning Canada after my brother's experence with a rotten stock on his BBR and my son's A-Bolt II. The only LH used rifle I found was a stock shortened A-bolt Medalion 30-06 BOSS. It was good price,too. The finish was too hard and shattered,and the blueing wore off quickly. My 20yr old Remington M-700 soon looked better.But that's minor, when the center bolt backs off a touch,it won't feed.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have owned a Browning A bolt stalker in 270 and 7 Mag, both shot less than 1/2" three shot groups.

Dad has a 7 Mag with a boss, it shoots with the bullets touching at 100 yards.

I have many Rem's and one Ruger plus some customs.

If a rifle is extremely accurate, then I'm a happy camper.

We have never had any issues with any of the A bolts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a new LH stainless stalker with BOSS in 7mm-08 the only year they were offered. It has taken caribou up by Hudson Bay, mule deer in Montana & WY, pigs in TN and whitetail in OK, and MI
It is deadly accurate, light weight and just a pure pleasure to own and shoot. It's right up there with my Model 70, 700BDL and custom MRC.
I can't find anything bad to say about it or the other Browning shotguns I own.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JAPAN

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did I mention they are make in JAPAN.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Yes, and you also mentioned a confusion with tense and past tense. But like your ignorance of language, the rest of the adults here are willing to overlook a minor thing such as country of origin.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have owned exactly one. I liked it pretty well though. It was a synthetic matte blue in .223 rem. I shot some stuff with it, and then sold it to buy something else.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like a lot of the old Brownings, the A-5, the .22 Auto, the Double Automatic, the Belgian bolt guns, and the Superposed. The new Japanese Browning stuff just leaves me cold. Purely a subjective thing on my part. I do have one Japanese Browning, a stainless BT-99 trap gun. The gun works well for me but I feel about the same toward it as I would a set of golf clubs.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RickF

Dober

Mark,

A good friend picked up a Browning Ti a couple of years back in 270WSM. Stupid camo stock, the whole 9 yards.

FWIW I had recommended he get a Montana, but in all honesty I don't think a Kimber would be any better. The Browning stock is very comfortable, you can't make that rifle bobble, and if you want to be a bit generous you can say it shoots into an inch as issued. I did talk him into having it bedded and the crown touched up.

He loves that rifle and has used it a lot in the past two years. That said he is a hunter, not a shooter. The rifle has probably seen 200 rounds in that time.

It is worth mentioning that when working up loads for it with the 130 TSX, we ran into pressures 150 fps sooner that I expected or my Nosler manual predicted. I wouldn't be happy with that, he loves it because I kinda forgot to tell him! wink So far deer, a couple of elk and at least one bear haven't known the difference.

One thought...for what he paid I could have had one hell of a nice little custom built.

Hmmmmm, .270WSM-150fps= .270 Winchester, right?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old A-Bolt hunter in 22/250. I've probably shot it more than any other rifle I've ever owned. It's accurate, consistent, fits me well and has been dependable. A Leupold 2x7 fits perfectly on it. The only thing I don't like about it is the mag set up. I wish the twist was faster, but it does shoot heavier bullets well. I don't care if it's made in Japan as I've owned guns made in USA, Checkoslovakia, China, Japan, Finland, England, Turkey, Germany, Russia etc etc etc ....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yepper that's right and it's not the first time I've heard of that.

I could be wrong but I think that off all the WSM's that the 270 had the toughest time showing the speed gains that perhaps it should.

Smallest bore dia maybe?

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 5 Browning A-Bolts in the safe and every one of them is insanely accurate, with no work being done. Just slap a scope on them and go drive tacks.
They do kick more than my Remingtons and Winchesters in the same calibre, but I forgive them when I'm doing more carrying than shooting, but still want to make that shot count when I do find a suitable target.
I guess I've just been lucky though, I have no rust issues even though I've spent a fair amount of time toting them around in the big water looking for black and brown bears.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
They do kick more than my Remingtons and Winchesters in the same calibre

Oh, that's another thing I don't like about the A-Bolts. The butt end is waaaaay to small.

The REALLY HARD Browning pad in the pic came off a, A-Bolt 375H&H.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm partial to the Browning small butts....women too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I don't like the way the stocks fit me, and I agree about the oddball bolt handle, and the over-engineered magazines. Come to think of it, I just don't like anything about them. Never saw any real purpose to a short-lift bolt, either, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't fuss and cuss about them, I just don't like anything about them.

That about sums it up for me too and I have owned one.

Weiners are health food - My dad
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I own a Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08. I have had no problems with it. It's accurate and has functioned flawlessly for many years. I've killed a lot of deer with it. My cousins own a good many Browning A-bolt rifles as well and I have never heard a single complaint from them either.

LOL! Good point. If you are a "Buy Only American" guy then that's one thing but to boycott Japan while giving Germany a free pass is pretty inconsistent and indefensible.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have one of the early A-bolts in .338 winchester mag. I got it in 1987. It is light weight and extremely accurate. I have killed many deer and elk with it and have taken it to Africa 4 times. I have several rifles but this is the one gun I would never get rid of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, and you also mentioned a confusion with tense and past tense. But like your ignorance of language, the rest of the adults here are willing to overlook a minor thing such as country of origin.

If you would pay attention, maybe you would understand what I have been going through the last year and a half. It is a wonder I am still alive!

Last edited by Whelenman; 12/06/09.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My uncle owns a Micro Medallion in 7mm-08 and loves it.
I have heard that the A-Bolts are hard to rebarrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you would pay attention, maybe you would understand what I have been going through the last year and a half. It is a wonder I am still alive!
I don't concern myself with your personal xenophobic trivialities.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The "Made in Japan" thing when Browning rifles are mentioned always seems weird to me. There was just a five page thread talking about Weatherby Vanguards, and no one seemed bothered by them being built in Japan.

How do you guys who hate to hunt with stuff made in Japan make it into the field without stuff made in China?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not that I'm a fan, but in the 4 months that I've been on the Campfire nobody ever mentions them in a best,favorite type of thread. Why? Just curious.

Made in Japan crap.

They look like they belong on a gay SF street.

You couldn't give me one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
They look like they belong on a gay SF street.
Maybe you're not particularly confident in your masculinity.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't remember China bombing us? When did that happen?
Dec 7th is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Google it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dec 7th is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Google it?
So if the A-Bolt were proudly stamped "MADE IN CHINA," you'd happily and enthusiastically buy one?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
had an A Bolt w/ BOSS in .300 Win Mag that shot .5 inch groups with boring regularity....got short on cash and sold it and now the *%^ won't sell it back! Great gun, zero problems, lots of one shot kills!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'm partial to the Browning small butts....

Try one out in a 300, 338, 375 Mag. You might have other thoughts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Feel free to read up on the Korean War.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McInnis

Feel free to read up on the Korean War.

Yep. IIRC they were also involved in Vietnam some too.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having shot more than a few A-Borts and seen many more shot I have to say I am amazed at the number of "incredible" shooters out there. Seldom have I seen a bad A-Bort as far as accuracy goes, but when folks all claim half-inch and stuff it makes me giggle just a little. Unless they are using factory ammo of course...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not much love at all!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Having shot more than a few A-Borts and seen many more shot I have to say I am amazed at the number of "incredible" shooters out there. Seldom have I seen a bad A-Bort as far as accuracy goes, but when folks all claim half-inch and stuff it makes me giggle just a little. Unless they are using factory ammo of course...

Art, I owned one in 338 Win some years back. I could not get that damn thing to shoot better than 1.5", down the road it went. Now my 77 in 338 Win is another story.

There, I said it. An A-bort owner who didn't shoot 1/2" groups grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What kind of minority entitlements are you looking for now? wink

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Mr. deer, grinWell I certainly can't prove it to you but I know my gun shoots like I said it does. I shoot 300yd benchrest at my club and am at the range weekly doing load development for various rifles. I shoot off concrete benches with Sinclair rests etc. I shoot thousands of rounds annually and as hard as it must be for you to believe I have the ability to shoot sub 1/2" groups. I'm a lot of things but a liar isn't one of em.

I also volunteer at my Izaak Walton gun club for an "open to the public" sight-in days event. It runs the 3 weekends leading up to deer season. We volunteers basically spot for shooters @ 100yds and mark their shots with pins on a target. I'll help sight in 30 to 40 guns per day even making scope adjustments and shooting some for people. It's a nice representation of how different brands of rifles and scopes perform. After the 2nd year of doing this I noticed you almost never see a Browning or Tikka that doesn't shoot. And these aren't typically expert marksmen shooting carefully tailored handloads either. So my opinion is based off personally sighting hundreds of different makes and calibers. I'd like to know who's here's got more experience with the accuracy of a broader range of rifles and calibers.

Last edited by Horseman; 12/06/09.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an a-bolt in 30-06 and it will consistently shoot 3'4" groups with either 165 grain Gamekings or Interlocks. But, while talking with a professional hunting guide a few years ago he told me that during his time in Alaska he saw more of them fail than other makes of rifles. I think the guy who posts as JJHack, an African PH, has said the same thing. Still, in the kind of weather I usually hunt it, I have total confidence in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have an a-bolt in 30-06 and it will consistently shoot 3'4" groups with either 165 grain Gamekings or Interlocks. But, while talking with a professional hunting guide a few years ago he told me that during his time in Alaska he saw more of them fail than other makes of rifles. I think the guy who posts as JJHack, an African PH, has said the same thing. Still, in the kind of weather I usually hunt it, I have total confidence in it.

any rifle that shoots 3 FEET 4 INCHES its definitely a keeper! grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yeah, I want one............ grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i think i can make you one! going to cost for that kind of accuracy though! just send me 3k and i'll call it even! grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hit keys beside,as in gutshot,but I have never missed high.3'4" /

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i think i can make you one! going to cost for that kind of accuracy though! just send me 3k and i'll call it even! grins
Sorry, I figure I can make one myself a little cheaper...hammer, hack saws.....and such will do. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
Sorry, I figure I can make one myself a little cheaper...hammer, hack saws.....and such will do. grin

To ensure that type of rigorous accuracy one may need some duct tape too!!! smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh yeah forgot that too....how else am I to hold the scope to the rifle.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've only owned a couple of A-Bolts, a Medallion in 300 WM and now a Stainless Stalker in 7mm RM. I only have the 7mm now because I got it for a song at the pawn shop. I have yet to have any problems with either of the aforementioned rifles. They both are accurate and have been extremely reliable.

Most on this site are rifle loonies and know WAY more about firearms and thier function than the average hunter. Bubba only know that when he pulls the trigger on his whizzbangsupermagnum, it goes bang and the deer dies. There are some shortcomings to the A-Bolts such as an overly complicated bolt and trigger as well as questionable bottom metal, but for the average hunter, they function fine. They are generally very accurate out of the box. I have to admit that I get a little annoyed by all the buckmark stickers on every truck in our area.

I still prefer a good Mauser over anything made today but that mostly has to do with nostaglia. A good Mauser has character.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 12/06/09.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What kind of minority entitlements are you looking for now? wink

I figured I was money ahead when I got rid of it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bricktop: I think the point is BUY AMERICAN.
Are YOU able to understand that?
And could you do something about your hair while your at it?
Trim that fro - bro!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Trim that fro - bro!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The point that you can't seem to grasp, is that there's nothing truly MADE IN U.S.A. anymore. PERIOD. Let me know if you need a popup book to understand THAT.

So-called "American" companies either use foreign capital to prop up their operation or rely on foreign-supplied materials.

Touch the 'fro and you gots to go.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
[/quote]The point that you can't seem to grasp, is that there's nothing truly MADE IN U.S.A. anymore. PERIOD. Let me know if you need a popup book to understand THAT.

So-called "American" companies either use foreign capital to prop up their operation or rely on foreign-supplied materials.

Touch the 'fro and you gots to go. [/quote] A popup book? That's just too damn funny!!!! .................547.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Trim that fro - bro!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The point that you can't seem to grasp, is that there's nothing truly MADE IN U.S.A. anymore. PERIOD. Let me know if you need a popup book to understand THAT.

Touch the 'fro and you gots to go.

It's pretty much a global economy these days - the money, the steel or the parts come from somewhere else...whether it's Browning, Kimber, Remington, Winchester, et al there are good stories and bad stories....

It is laughable the few who wet their pants over "Made in ..." wherever a decade, half a century, two centuries ago...today is today...get on with life!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder how many don't eat tacos, you know, the Alamo and all. Or celebrate Thanksgiving with Custer's Last Stand or would turn down a Purdy shotgun, war of 1812 and all....

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not all Taco's are made in Mexico ... I'm not going to hold it against Native Americans because Custer was stoopid. How do EITHER group profit from either occurance??? Is there a Taco or popcorn royalty?

Your last comparison is valid.

To all .... I don't understand why you choose to bash someone who chooses not to buy a product for any reason. I try to buy American ... its a hard thing to do .... Just like when I do buy American, I try to buy non-union vs. union

That last one oughta get some juices flowin' smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So back to Browning rifles; hard to beat IMO. No better than a Remington 700, Winchester M70 or Sako 75 but certainly on par.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
avagadro- I don't care why someone chooses to buy/not buy a product. If they choose not to buy something based on where it's made, or where its maker calls home, that's fine and just as valid a reason as any other. What galls me is the usual hypocrisy that goes along with that stance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By reading this and threads in the past, you would swear that the only guns that fail are Brownings. Gunsmiths would be in trouble if this were the case.
I personally have seen more gun failures out of remingtons than brownings.....one example is my Dad and a couple uncles have 742's that seem to jam on about 2 out of 5 shots. My other uncle and his son have BAR's and I have never seen them jam.

My Dad and I own 6 A-bolts or X-Bolts from 270's through 325's and they have never missed a beat except when my Dad tried to stuff his 300 Win Mag shell in my 7mm WSM.

Noone has questioned their accuracy out of box. It seems like if I buy something else such as a remington 700 (which we have multiple of), the first thing that I have to do is take it apart and have mods done in order to catch up to the accuracy of a Browning. They should sell those guns in individual pieces so it is easier to replace parts with aftermarket stuff.

The only performance based negative comment is about hunting around big water. I was on Kodiak Island with my wife viewing some bears and the guide had a 338 with that wasn't a Browning. This thing was completely brown....to the point that I would have been a bit nervous shooting it. I could be and am probably wrong, but i would be surprised that the rough salty environment discriminates and about any blued steel, regardless of origin, would start to corrode.

As far as which country it comes from, I wonder how many on here or their significant others drive a Toyota or other "Jap" car.
This is not an attempt to stoke fires, I have a few buddies that preach and preach this anti-foreign products and foreigners in general, and then you look in their garage and wonder.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Remember Pearl Harbor, bitches!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
whelennut- are Japanese-made Howas different than Japanese-made Brownings? Just curious as it seems you had no problem buying Howas... Link to whelennut's post about owning Howas

Thanks for proving my point so quickly. You hypocrites really should try to remember what you've posted in the past before you go spouting your hate over country of origin.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have an A-bolt composite stalker in .300 WM good rifle no problems and have used it a good deal. Bought it used. I think they are good but wouldn't pay a premium over other Rem. Win. etc.

Our prejudices are interesting. My dad was WWII veteran he was in the Pacific and had no love for the Japs. Wars leave indelible impressions and ill will can be held and passed down from one generation to the next as an example: We are from the south and cira 1959 my brother 5 or 6 years old then wanted a soldiers uniform for Christmas. He had no idea who was what and picked out the pretty blue uniform of a Union soldier from the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression - sorry Dad) and my dad said no, if you want one it'll have to be grey.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cacciatore
Having hunted Kodiak Island for over 25 years and spent considerable time there more than once in horrible weather with A-Bolts present I can assure you there is a difference.

If you want to compare A-Bolts to 742s I will give you that one... The A-Bolt is marginally better! wink But only marginally!

With far less time around A-Bolts than other brands/models I have personally seen more total failures with A-Bolts than all other brands combined. And that is not at the "It jammed once" level, but rather at the "Dead in the road" level.

I did question the fact everyone bragging about their A-Bolts can shoot .5 MOA with factory ammo... But I have not had problems with them shooting well.
art

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wasn't comparing the 742 to an A-Bolt but rather a BAR, which is more apples to apples.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I personally have seen more gun failures out of remingtons than brownings.....one example is my Dad and a couple uncles have 742's that seem to jam on about 2 out of 5 shots."

Sorry, must have misread that. You must mean the model 742 BAR? wink

Sorry, just poking a little fun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bashing Browning because of Japan and a reference to Pearl Harbor while owning Howa's is hipocrisy at it's finest. Outstanding!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
whelennut- are Japanese-made Howas different than Japanese-made Brownings? Just curious as it seems you had no problem buying Howas... Link to whelennut's post about owning Howas

Thanks for proving my point so quickly. You hypocrites really should try to remember what you've posted in the past before you go spouting your hate over country of origin.

The original question was "Why no love for Brownings"?
It could be that they are Japanese.

How many Japanese are buying things manufactured here?
I bought the Howa because I heard they made the Weatherby Vanguard and the price was right for a barreled action. I liked it so much I bought another one. No regrets either.
I'm trying to make up for Nagasaki and Hiroshima in my own small way. I thought being a hypocrite was normal after listening to politicians and car salesman. wink
whelennut

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Why you bought the Howa is insignificant. To be a buyer of Japanese rifles and criticize Browning for being Japanese has some of us scratching our heads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No worries.

You made me go back and read it again....yep I typed it right the first time.

"I personally have seen more gun failures out of remingtons than brownings.....one example is my Dad and a couple uncles have 742's that seem to jam on about 2 out of 5 shots. My other uncle and his son have BAR's and I have never seen them jam."

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have owned three A-Bolts and couple Citoris. None of them have ever!!! failed to feed, fire, eject or hit (very accurately) what I am aiming at. The two A-Bolts that I still have now are both BOSS models and are as accurate as any two rifles that I have ever owned.

Besides, my Weatherby Mark V is also Japanese made and also is accurate, reliable and well made. Remember that Cerebrus (who owns Remington and Marlin) is a Canadian based company. S&W was until recently owned by a U.K. based company.

The new Model 70 Winchester is made in the US by FN, Herstal, Belgium. If the A-Bolt rifles are so bad, how come everytime I watch one of the more well known, nationally sponsored hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel, the host is using an A-Bolt rifle to hunt with.

CDR3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the A-Bolt rifles are so bad, how come everytime I watch one of the more well known, nationally sponsored hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel, the host is using an A-Bolt rifle to hunt with.

Possibly because Browning sponsors many of the shows?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Some of you guys can't seem to acceipt the fact that we can dislike Brownings or any other gun for any reason we want. We can dislike them more than we dislike say a gun made in Germany or elsewhere in Europe. We don't even have to have a technical reason based on our experience with them. We can simply despise them because we want to. You guys getting on our asses about it is living proof that the current education system is working. You guys are free to like them and celebrate them. Some of us will never like them and that is o.k. too!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Not liking them and calling them junk is two different things. I have read many posts where Browning rifles are referred to as "junk". I didn't really like my Tikka but it was hardly junk. I don't really care for Winchester rifles either but they definitely aren't junk. I would guess that half of the folks that call them junk have never owned one. Just sayin. As far as the salt water thing, I won't argue that since I haven't hunted around it much.

Last edited by brianc142; 12/07/09.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
No they are not junk. They seem to be great guns. I wish they made them in the U.S.A. I wonder if it would help their sales to make them here? I would certainly look at them VERY differently if they were made here. As it is they are not an option for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fully agree. If you dislike them just because that is fine by me.
I have the same feeling about Toyota Tacomas. I hate those damn trucks, but I have absolutely no valid reason besides "cuz"....and that is enough for me.

There are 6 pages on here in order to say "cuz".

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bricktop

Getting defensive just shows who is insecure here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I have owned three A-Bolts and couple Citoris. None of them have ever!!! failed to feed, fire, eject or hit (very accurately) what I am aiming at. The two A-Bolts that I still have now are both BOSS models and are as accurate as any two rifles that I have ever owned.

Besides, my Weatherby Mark V is also Japanese made and also is accurate, reliable and well made. Remember that Cerebrus (who owns Remington and Marlin) is a Canadian based company. S&W was until recently owned by a U.K. based company.

The new Model 70 Winchester is made in the US by FN, Herstal, Belgium. If the A-Bolt rifles are so bad, how come everytime I watch one of the more well known, nationally sponsored hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel, the host is using an A-Bolt rifle to hunt with.

Cerberus isn't Canadian. Perhaps you're thinking of Magna.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I never bashed Browning. I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.
They might be fantastic for all I know but I don't care either.

I bought the Howas because of the low price and they are reliable and accurate. That appeals to me.

Japanese pilots did bomb Pearl Harbor though, just saying.

I drive a Ford truck and Harley Davidson motorcycle.
I try to buy American made but have settled for American owned companies. Even that is getting tougher.

I'm not into the one world government concept either by the way.
Remember Pearl Harbor!
whelennut

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Bricktop

Getting defensive just shows who is insecure here.
I don't recall posting a homophobic response in this thread. That was you, sport. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.

I bought the Howas because of the low price and they are reliable and accurate. That appeals to me.
So if Browning would bring their prices down, you'd be willing to overlook their country of origin?

And German saboteurs committed various acts of terrorism in the U.S. during WWI. Just saying.

I try to buy American made but have settled for American owned companies. Even that is getting tougher.
How much of those so-called "American owned" companies is actually owned by "Americans?" How much of their profits actually go back into the U.S. economy? Dumbass.

I'm not into the one world government concept either by the way.
Remember Pearl Harbor!
whelennut
No, you're into the concepts of ignorance and intolerance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never bashed Browning. I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.

Where do you suppose Howas are made?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
whelennut why are giving advice to buy American when you have admitted you bought guns from Japan? And why after having this pointed out are you still referring to Pearl Harbor?

Do you see the hipocrisy of giving advice you yourself do not live by?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What isle are the tampons and popcorn on ????????????????????????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
What isle are the tampons and popcorn on ????????????????????????

The Isle of Lesbos?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Browning Safari that was stolen from me that I liked a lot. I would really like to get that one back. I wouldn't walk across the street for one of the new A-Bolts. Not that I don't think that it is a good rifle, I just can't get past the looks, The older I get the more particular I am about who I hunt with and what I hunt with.

Harry
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Cuz they're ugly?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a couple of them.

One is an old A-Bolt that I bought just for the action alone, the stock was beat, and it had been rechambered to 257 Ackley Imp. I WAS going to rebarrel it in 35-284, cuz 35's are the perfect caliber, and the 284 Win is a great case. BUT, after a session of fire forming some 257 Roberts brass in it to form the "Improved" version, and finding somewhat of just a slightly enlarged hole on the paper...I left it alone, refinished the stock and man is it a great little Roberts..!

The other is a Micro Medallion chambered in 284 Winchester.
Shooting 140 grain Nosler BT's into less than an inch..nothing to bitch about.

As for "Made In Japan" So are the electronics on my Harley.

Scott

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They cost more than remington's, rugers, Weatherby Vanguards, and others that produce perfectly good rifles, and don't have the rep for reliability of something like the Ruger. (you never hear of anyone paddling their canoe with their Abolt cause they lost their paddle, then filling their tag) To my eye, the wood & blued rifles look gaudy. Some of them come with a lot of features that I don't care for in a hunting rifle, such as Boss systems, detachable mags etc.

They make an accurate out of the box rifle, but so does everyone else, especially for those that reload, know to rework the trigger or get it reworked, etc.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My goodness, where do you think the chips used in the primary fire control system in the F 15 are made? HINT the flag is white with a red circle.

They are fine, expensive rifles that just don't get the 700 is God hype.

My Cynergy O/U clays gun has digested 1000s of rounds w/o a hiccup. The non salt wood Safaris are still one of the finest Mauser based rifles made.

But to buy a gun, you gotta need one and Browning has yet to make an AR.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
If the A-Bolt rifles are so bad, how come everytime I watch one of the more well known, nationally sponsored hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel, the host is using an A-Bolt rifle to hunt with.

Possibly because Browning sponsors many of the shows?

No actually, Winchester sponsors a couple of them. My A-Bolt Micro Medallion rifle is a class act. I bought it new in 1999 for $500 with the BOSS. I just sold it (had it listed here, in fact) because I don't need or want a .243 any longer It is one really neat, little compact, pretty rifle that will shoot groups you won't believe. It is the only Browning that can be purchased with the BOSS device now. The argument is moot anyhow because Browning now has the X-Bolt and just announced that they will be discontinuing the A-Bolt. The X-Bolt is the same action and barrel with a different look (still from Miroku).

CDR3
R
R
Love mine. Just got a 243 WSSM A-Bolt hunter. First time out shot my first half inch 5-shot group ever with it. Hornady VMax 58 grainers w/ 46.3 gr of IMR 4007 ssc. Just a starter load, but man! My two Model 70s of the same caliber with same loads shot just over 1 inch groups that day. Needless to say, I love this little A-Bolt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RayMan; 12/09/09.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Back in 1991 bought an A-Bolt in .270. The very first shot during the big game season dropped this 35.5" Muley. That A-Bolt has gone on to drop a dozen elk and who knows how many deer, rabbits, ground squirrels, coyotes etc, etc. For a few years it was my only centerfire and it had to do everything, which it did.

This morning I got an email, saying the rebarrel job was complete. Another .270 barrel.

While I prefer Sakos/Tikkas and Salvages, I will not knock my old A-Bolt. To each his own though.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

Where do you suppose Howas are made?

I found that a little comical myself.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 12/09/09.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
I'll forget Pearl Harbor when the African Americans forget that slavery thing, that was way back before my ancestors came to this country.
If you think everyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant dumbass. I would be proud to be an ignorant dumbass.
whelennut

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Japan ,the same country that brought us Pearl Harbor!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
FYI,
I'm waiting for the blacks to forget slavery.............

Still waiting...........
whelennut

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I bought my Stainless A-bolt with BOSS back when options for left-handed shooters were not as good as they are today(and today the options still aren't all that good). Developing a load consisted of finding a good load from the manual, then tuning the BOSS, which took about 25-30 rounds before it was shooting clover-leaf groups at 100 yds. It is loud, but I can forgive the noise when it shoots tiny groups. And after 37 years of flying jets, I have either lost a good portion of my hearing,or have learned to use hearing protection.
The trigger is not the best, but it can be adjusted. It makes a fairly light-weight, accurate rifle that fits my requirements. Now if Browning will bring out an X-Bolt in left-hand short action, I will add to my Browning collection.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buckwheat,
I'll forget Pearl Harbor when the African Americans forget that slavery thing, that was way back before my ancestors came to this country.
If you think everyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant dumbass. I would be proud to be an ignorant dumbass.
whelennut
Where you truly demonstrate your ignorance is the belief that anyone who disagrees with the subject is a dumbass. No, there have been plenty of people who don't like the A-Bolt for valid reasons, either an issue of ergonomics, construction, function, pricing, etc. To HATE -- and that's the only way to categorize your vile invective -- based on country of origin is just plain STUPID. Not to mention hypocritical. On the one hand you HATE the A-Bolt because it's made in Japan, but on the other you sing the praises of Howa rifles which are also -- dare I say -- made in Japan.

You should get your lithium dosage increased. SOON!!!!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=whelennut]I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.

So if Browning would bring their prices down, you'd be willing to overlook their country of origin?

And German saboteurs committed various acts of terrorism in the U.S. during WWI. Just saying.

How much of those so-called "American owned" companies is actually owned by "Americans?" How much of their profits actually go back into the U.S. economy? Dumbass."

Buckwheat
You called me dumbass you dumbass!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You called me dumbass you dumbass!
No, you called yourself out as a dumbass.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
whelennut
Where you truly demonstrate your ignorance is the belief that anyone who disagrees with the subject is a dumbass. No, there have been plenty of people who don't like the A-Bolt for valid reasons, either an issue of ergonomics, construction, function, pricing, etc. To HATE -- and that's the only way to categorize your vile invective -- based on country of origin is just plain STUPID. Not to mention hypocritical. On the one hand you HATE the A-Bolt because it's made in Japan, but on the other you sing the praises of Howa rifles which are also -- dare I say -- made in Japan.

Buckwheat,
Where did I say I hate the A-Bolt? I don't hate them and never said I did. You are projecting your own hatred onto others. Check your meds Bro!
The original post questioned why no love?
My response was that It is possible people would rather Buy American. (Due to the fact that Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.)
I certainly never said I hated A-Bolts!
The fact is that I bought Howas in spite of my nationalistic feelings about American Made products indicates that maybe I am not as bad as you would like to portray me to be.
You have a chip on your shoulder!

If remembering Pearl Harbor makes me an ignorant dumbass, then what does remembering slavery make the American Black Man?
( A rocket scientist?)
whelennut

whelennut

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buckwheat,
whelennut

Buckwheat,
Where did I say I hate the A-Bolt? I don't hate them and never said I did. You are projecting your own hatred onto others. Check your meds Bro!
The original post questioned why no love?
My response was that It is possible people would rather Buy American. (Due to the fact that Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.)
I certainly never said I hated A-Bolts!
The fact is that I bought Howas in spite of my nationalistic feelings about American Made products indicates that maybe I am not as bad as you would like to portray me to be.
You have a chip on your shoulder!

If remembering Pearl Harbor makes me an ignorant dumbass, then what does remembering slavery make the American Black Man?
( A rocket scientist?)
whelennut
None of the nonsense you post makes any sense, it's all some sort of bullshit circular logic. You've distinguished yourself as someone who would likely hold membership in that pointy head, sheet-wearing, secret society. On the one hand you post one ignorant, xenophobic epithet after another about the A-Bolt being made in Japan, but on the other you extol the virtues of your MADE IN JAPAN Howas. Do you even know what in the hell you're posting? Can you even string together a coherent thought? Those are rhetorical questions, by the way, everyone already knows the answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno, but wish I did.

Like others I just couldn't warm up to it.

really pizzes me off too and them and Savage offered more choices in lh than any other maker to my knowledge.

know guys here that use em and like em, wish I coulda been one of them

but I'm pretty much Pavlov'd in the use of Rem 700's, too late to teach this old dog very many new tricks

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned one A-Bolt. 300wsm A-Bolt Hunter. Seen shotguns print better patterns with 000 buckshot than this rifle did with the 2 avaliable factory loadings. Kicked like a dang mule too. So much that the inletting around the trigger group was starting to break. It did however manage one shot that was minute of whitetail. I am shooting an A-Bolt this season...a loaner from a friend. 30-06. Handles perty good and shoots where its pointed. Would I buy one? Nope. Do I think they are junk? Nope. I have more dislike for the leopold scope the '06 is wearing than i do for the A-Bolt its mounted on.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
Maybe your next vacation you should travel to Texas and tell them how ignorant they are for Remembering the Alamo. Let them know you think they are all that way.
Let me know how that works out for you.
Next you could go tell some Jewish Holocaust survivors that they are ignorant for remembering the Holocaust.
Be sure to call them Dumbass while you are at it.
See how much they appreciate your pearls of wisdom.
You must have some funny mirrors in your crib.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TTT ... incase the other Browning thread becomes boring smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Respectfully, they just feel cheap. I know they shoot and I certainly was covetous of them as a teen, but they just don't appeal to me anymore.

WAR EAGLE!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've no love for the Remingtons. I sure tried, built a custom 308 with a tapered octagon barrel, then it became a 25-284, Tried an Accurate Innovations Laminate stock, then tried a regular CDL stock, put a Ruger bolt release on it, and a 3 position wing safety, and an HS Precision magazine system. No matter what I did it was still a Remington.

As I can't get the money together to buy a nice Savage 99 or a Montana Ultra Light in 250-3000, just bought another Micro Hunter. Had one before in 308 and it came closest to my wants, despite the magazine and push feed. Trying to find an affordable smith to rebarrel it with a barrel I have into 250-3000.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of the most accurate rifles i ever owned was a 7 mag A-bolt. I sold it when I got a Jarrett .300. Sure wish I had it back. I have owned and do own many other rifles, Kimber, Cooper, Remington, Weatherby, Tikka and the A-Bolt shot as well as if not better than all but mt custom Jarrett.

Loved the 60 degree bolt and tang safety as well. Got me thinking I might need another.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have owned a few(2-375s, 1-270). They all shot very well, but just felt cheap.

NRA Benefactor member
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I wonder if you can disassemble the bolt on an X-bolt? I've searched and searched and can't find a thing on this topic.................547.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I offered to buy a new A bolt at a gun store that was closing down about the time the X bolt came out. The owner wouldn't budge on prices. I saw him a couple of times at gun shows still trying to sell his stuff at the higher prices. I like my Browning Gold Hunter shotgun.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.