Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb
Is Mr. Forbes still using Douglas barrels? I recall an article on his rifles years ago, and his refusal to use other barrels on his rifles because he claimed Douglas were more than good enough when installed straight and true on a straight and true action.

A lot of rifle snobs look down on Douglas barrels compared to Kreiger, Hart, etc. but I have not heard any complaints about the Ultra Light Rifle's accuracy (varmint hunting accuracy, not benchrest accuracy, that is). The posts above seem to bear this out.

Perhaps he uses another barrel now, or perhaps I have my rifle makers mixed up?

John

Melvin uses Douglas barrels exclusively so far as I know. Many will argue this point but in my opinion nobody makes a better barrel than Douglas. I've been to their plant many times and my partner, Chris Self, went through it this past September.

Chris is a tool and die maker of the highest order and he has not stopped talking about how impressed he was with their plant. It's 'old school' and they build excellent barrels.
In fact, I learned that 98% of their barrels will air gauge and that's high quality.

As for Melvin Forbes, he turns out the best value in a custom gun available anywhere. I was at his camp one summer and he had built a .338 WM that weight <6.5 pounds, including a Leupold 2.5x8 scope. The recoil was not bad at all but I am not particularly recoil sensitive. I had a Model 70 in .338 WM that kicked much worse.

You won't find a better person to deal with than Melvin Forbes. Anywhere. If Melvin tells you that a chicken dips snuff you can look under a wing and find a box of Copenhagen.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When I was down visiting with him to get a look at his rifles he handed me one and said try to pull the barrel and stock apart. You could pull, but the two seemed to be welded together.

I'll take your word for it on the recoil of a .300WM in a 6 3/4lb rifle with 200gr bullets, but don't think it would be something I would enjoy playing with much at the bench. But, then again I don't carry much weight to suck up a punch.

Waiting for him to call me on a 7mm-08 and a .22lr. He said sometime around Christmas or just after. I expect they will be worth the wait.

As far as the barrel, he still uses Douglas, but will use another if you are willing to pay the difference. I'm sure if there is a problem he will check it out and if so make the necessary fix. It's a hunting rifle, accuracy should be more than adequate with Douglas.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MColeman

If Melvin tells you that a chicken dips snuff you can look under a wing and find a box of Copenhagen.

Mr. Coleman: Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use that one. grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Oh, these threads make a guy itchy.................

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have owned both a .300 Winnie and a .300WSM Nula. For some reason I just didn't like the Winnie...shot ok, but eventaully had Melvin rebarrel it to .257 ROY which I like a whole bunch. But got the hankering for another .300 and ended up buying a .300WSM. for some reason I really like this one. With a 4.5X14X40 Leupie it is just over 6 1/4 lbs. Balances perfectly and it/'s a honest 1/2-3/4" rifle with most loads. Can't say enough good about the rifles or the man that makes them.

As far as quirks: A little touchy to shoot of the bags:Good technique on the bags nets the most accurate results. In my experience the front bag needs to be far enough back so the front swivel cant touch it and ditto for the rear. I like to use the "bench Wizard " that Melvin makes for the rear.
Other quirks...adding a bipod will change the point of impact a good bit. In the field no problem. For long shot I usually shoot off my pack which has worked fine.
No relibility problems at all.

Lefty C

Last edited by leftycarbon; 12/06/09.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then you best not travel down to Granville, W.V. The itch will only get worse, plus Mr. Forbes soft sell is classic.

Addition: It's like your buying a rifle from your Father or most trusted friend. Why you just have to because it's that person. smile

Last edited by battue; 12/06/09.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just a comment on barrels: I used to be somewhat of a barrel snob looking down at Douglas. But the 5 or so that I have had experience with have been just excellent. Easy clean up and excellent accuracy.

LC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks LC. The easy cleanup was the one concern I had.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by miket_81
Yes they are really that good... I have a 257BOB and a 30-06 I haven't shot the 30-06 all that much but the 257 will put a 75VMax, 85BT, 100TSX, 100PT, 100BT, and a 115PT at the same point of aim. You can shoot 4 different bullets into a half inch group at a 100.

Excuse my ignorance; but, are you saying this performance is based on the manufacturer as opposed to caliber/load, etc? Thanks in advance.

Well none of my other guns are like that... It puts every bullet 1-3/4-2" high at a hundred oh and add the 110 AB to that list. I sent my 257 stock off to Melvin to be repainted (CL-Camo) to match my 06. I got it back 2 days before season started. Melvin told me it would attact back on and shouldn't change anyting. I was a little worried due to how good of a shooter this was.

My Uncle and I sat down and attached the stock, went to the garage sat down at the bench figuring I would have to re-adjust the scope a little. I fired a 100TSX and it literally took out the vertical line just under 2". I couldn't believe it...just sat there shaking my head...

When I took it hunting this year just for grins I loaded the mag with a 100 partition, a 100 TSX, a AB and one more at random and go hunting.. Which ever I loaded last is the one I chambered...

Don't expect people to believe how this gun shoots as I would have doubts if reading a post about it....

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Just a comment on barrels: I used to be somewhat of a barrel snob looking down at Douglas. But the 5 or so that I have had experience with have been just excellent. Easy clean up and excellent accuracy.

LC

There are a lot of shooters that feel the same way but just won't admit it. Benchrest shooters are among the worst. Douglas makes as good a barrel as you can buy. In fact, it's hard to get a bad barrel these days if you stick with the known makers.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

If Melvin tells you that a chicken dips snuff you can look under a wing and find a box of Copenhagen.

Mr. Coleman: Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use that one. grin

You keep callin' me 'Mr. Coleman' and I'll send you a bill. wink Go ahead and use it. I stole it myself. smile I'm named 'Mickey' as in M-I-C-K-E-Y MOUSE.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 500_416Dino
I have a Blaser 375H&H (8.2lbs scoped)so I was looking for something in the middle.

You already have a way better rifle than the NULA. Just buy a .300 win mag barrel for your R-93 and go hunting.

Coop

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You keep callin' me 'Mr. Coleman' and I'll send you a bill. wink Go ahead and use it. I stole it myself. smile I'm named 'Mickey' as in M-I-C-K-E-Y MOUSE.

Yes Sir, Mr. Mickey. wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi, Mickey, how ya doin'?

My experience with Douglas barrels (not all of which have been on NULA rifles) is that they break in easy, shoot well and clean easy. Melvin will certainly use another barrel if you want to, but I dunno how much will be gained.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. I would love for someone I know to buy one of these so I could check it out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi, Mickey, how ya doin'?

Doing great, John. Things going well with y'all? Bout ready for another care package? Please give Eileen my best.

Do you go to the NRA Convention? Since the SHOT has permanently moved to Las Vegas I doubt that I'll ever get back but who knows, maybe Chris (my partner) and I will make it one day. We are planning on going to Charlotte next year for the NRA show. We want to go just to see everybody.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We're doing great. Eileen sends her best.

If the care package is like the last one, you bet!

We only make it to the NRA convention when it's relatively close to Montana, and Charlotte isn't, unfortunately. We are going to pass on SHOT this year too, but are thinking of going to SCI, but bet you aren't going to Reno in January!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338 would hurt...................

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would split the difference and get a 325WSM NULA and tell myself it kicks less than either of the other two. Then when I started to believe it myself I would go bear hunting.

I think Melvin personally inspects each barrel that may be a factor in the uncommonly good accuracy with Douglas barrels. Douglas used to be the top of the heap for target barrels until all the others showed up on the scene.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We're doing great. Eileen sends her best.

If the care package is like the last one, you bet!

We only make it to the NRA convention when it's relatively close to Montana, and Charlotte isn't, unfortunately. We are going to pass on SHOT this year too, but are thinking of going to SCI, but bet you aren't going to Reno in January!

Your money is safe on that bet. smile We didn't have a crop this year but I know where I can buy some. I'll get busy on it. Merry Christmas to the both of you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.