-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should have also asked ... can one put the older trigger system into the New M70's?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by avagadro
Should have also asked ... can one put the older trigger system into the New M70's?
Nope.. no-can-do...

This has been hashed over on the hunting rifles forum for months.. Many like the new trigger. It is a bit crisper.. However, it is an enclosed unit.. What happens after a few hunts in either inclement weather, dusty/dirty conditions and/or after an owner has liberally sprayed it with WD-40... I think they're going to fail, period... And when they do, it's going to be a trip back to the factory for repair.. Those things are restricted parts.. And you might wait 3 months to get it back..

The old-style trigger, for all it's alleged negatives (heavy, creepy ) rarely failed to work - ever.. They didn't break, they didn't fail, they're easily cleaned and as simple as ABC... With a trigger job done by a competent smith, those triggers are SWEET, and have done the job for over six decades.. .. To those that say it shouldn't require a trigger job to be that good, yeah - so what?? Nearly every other factory rifle comes out of the plant with lawyer triggers that can use adjustment, stoning, etc., to be as good as they can be.. Some of the very worst triggers I've ever had in the shop (commercial, not military) are on Remington M700s.... Many times it's the owner who goofed 'em up by not knowing what the heck they're doing.. It happens..

Winchester buyers don't like Browning parts on their rifles... If they wanted 'em, they can buy an A-bolt and giverhell...

I'm not seeing the new ones sell all that well.. At least, on Gunbroker, they keep getting reposted time after time after time with no bids.. Yet, the NH classics continue to sell with many getting way over what they brought when they were new... The local store here has 'em in stock and they're not flying out the doors..

There's a reason..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Off topic and maybe deserving of a new thread, but I like the trigger on the new M70. I have hunted with FN Mausers with aftermarket "enclosed" Timneys for years and never had problems. And, the area I hunt mule deer in is windy and has blowing sand, sage brush seeds, rabbit brush seeds, etc. and is hard on guns. Double shotguns with single triggers tend to quit firing the second barrel after a few hours and I have 390 and 391 Berettas quit working after a few hours in this environment.

After a 4 or 5 day hunt in this area, it literally takes months to get the sand and other crap out of the gun and the one SC M70 I have owned performed well out there. Additionally, the SC guns are of GREAT quality, especially when compared to the junk produced under the "Classic" period.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Given the choice I'd buy a pre-64 for the resale (not that my two sons would ever let me sell a gun they want) and the warm feeling it gives you. I am very impressed by what I've read and the few reviews recent owners have said about the new M70s made in SC. In the same vein I'm looking for a 300 Weatherby Southgate with an FN mauser action ... If I can't find one, I won't have any problem buying a new M70 in 300 Win Mag.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colorado
A fair statement relative to the M98, and in fact I bought a CZ 500 for a DGR rifle. I do have to say, and I'm sure it's a function of CZ's quality control, it took more work to make it feed than my M700 which all fed flawlessly out of the box. As far as the safety's, I've slid down 30 or 40 feet of slope in the black timber chasing elk more than once with a round in the chamber and the safety on, always maintaining muzzle control and never had an issue, doesn't mean there isn't one. My newest M700 is 25 years old, so I'm not sure if they had brazed rather than welded on bolt handles, but if so that's kind of appalling considering the minimal difference in cost on an assembly line. I shoot 150g Noslers at even 3000 fps out of my 22" M700 BDL, no signs of pressure (I have shot loads that have showed signs), using Rem cases, Norma MRP and Rem 9 1/2 M primers. It's been my standard deer, elk and bear load since the Mid 70s. Even hot loads (when I was younger doing load development and wasn't quite as careful) always extracted, but would show extraction marks on the case head.

Anyway highly respect your opinions, differences make the world interesting,

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck: Bottom line is I'd take a Remington DG hunting any day of the week and wouldn't even think twice about it. The respect is mutual. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Colorado,

I personally like the new SC M70s a little better than pre-64s. I see a few FN .300 Weatherbys out there (check the Cabelas Web site and gunsamerica). I picked a .257 FN in an original Weatherby up from a dealer who didn't know what he had at a gun show for $350. I DEEPLY regret selling it for $950 a few minutes later on the way out the door... I haven't seen one in .257 before or since.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Desert, it's good to see the M70 back. I have time to look, so I'm checking gunbroker, gunsinternational, local "thrifty nickel" hoping to fall into a good deal on a 300 Weatherby Southgate FN.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.