Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dean I use the 140 TSX on my 7mm Weatherby. Works great even on small deer. If you speak with the Barnes people, almost without exception, they recommend you step down in weight in order to increase velocity. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
So how fast do the barnes folks like their bullets shot? Dean

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No pass through here. The first two are Woodleigh 470, the rest are 350gr 416 and 180gr 300 Swift A Frame. The Woodleigh were from about 30 feet, the 416 from 75 and 100 yds. The 300 were from 175 and 240 yds.

[Linked Image]

Jim
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We are a strange breed I suppose - the product does what it should, in spite of the user, and there is still fault with it. Oh well. To each his own. Or in the case of Congress, someone elses... crazy

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Really doesn't much matter how fast..

The slow side is where to watch out..the TSX copper alloy is meant to open up ( slightly...) down to about 1700 fps on impact.
Keep your impact velocities up, and your mushrooms will appear...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Phil,
The NP was one of the top bullets in the opinion of PH's I've "surveyed". A-Frame and AccuBond are direct comparables. Hard to go wrong with any of the Tier 1 bullets if it's used as designed.

Jim,
Pretty pix- is there a story with those gems?

Eyeguy:
BarnesBullets.com has all the details. They'll answer the phone when you call with a question too.

Night all.

Last edited by Vagabond; 11/19/09.

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With the TSX Barnes recommends stepping down a bullet weight and running them fast because they do substandard damage at sedate speeds. All in the name of increased penetration, which is rarely needed.
To be honest they dont do excessive damage even when impact velocity is high.
Just my 2 cents.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
At this time I am shooting the 140 tsx out of my 7mm-08, the 168 tsxbt out of my 30-06 and the 210 tsxbt out of my 338. The all run 2950-3050 muzz. vel.. I have always liked the performance. So probably dont need to change anything but always fun to tinker and try a new load on non-dang. game.
I have shot the barnes mz bullets on deer in the late mz season for years. We found that the 250 and 300 gr bullets made 2 good holes in the deer. The 220 gr bullet killed them fine but no faster, and only one hole on most shots. So for us the 250gr [now it is a 245 XBT] was the best for speed and performance.
I could call barnes but wanted some field reports on performance at 2900 impact speed vs. 3100 vs. 3300... Dean

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vagabond
Phil,
The NP was one of the top bullets in the opinion of PH's I've "surveyed". A-Frame and AccuBond are direct comparables. Hard to go wrong with any of the Tier 1 bullets if it's used as designed.

Jim,
Pretty pix- is there a story with those gems?

Eyeguy:
BarnesBullets.com has all the details. They'll answer the phone when you call with a question too.

Night all.

We were camped on the RUVU river and hunting MK1 and Gonabisi area on a 7 day buff and plains game hunt. We had been asked to provide 6 buffalo and 12 wildebeest for a village. Sometimes you just get lucky. We only took 4 buff and 6 wildebeest because their tractor to haul the meat broke down. mad Oh well.

The 470 were head on shots at two different buff in the long grass. Each one took a finishing shot. The solid was found in the hip, the soft was found in the gut.

The 416 were at buff in more open country. The first one was at approx 100 yards, angling slightly away. Shot just hind shoulder, angled through off shoulder, and was found under skin. He moved about 25 yards. The second one was at 75 yds head on where the "V" of the neck joins the shoulder. DRT

The first 300 was on an Oryx, range finder said 242 yds. He was facing away at about 45 degrees. Shot angled from rib cage to off shoulder. Bullet was found under skin. DRT. The second 300 was on a Kudu standing broadside about 250 yds. Shot was just behind shoulder, a little high, hit the spine. DRT.

Now you know the rest of the story grin

Jim
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jim,
And I do appreciate you relating it. Thank you Sir. Tractor broke down? And you were having so much fun "working"!

May we all have a chance to test our choice of armaments as thoroghly as you have!

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

R
R
Hi All
My opinion as a guide/outfitter over here is that you need to balance bullet weight to animal size as well as shooter ability. I have many hunters coming through that use 30-06's as well as 300 Win mag of mine and have found the best combo is a 165 Nosler accubond in 30-06 and a 180 Accubond in 300. Velocity is similar in the 2 options, but recoil is way less in the 30-06. I also have the option of Suppressors on one of each caliber that are more often than not chosen by the youngsters and lady hunters (Minimal recoil and very little noise)
I believe that the 180 grainer is probably the best choice all round, but my rifles shoot the above best and as we all know , placement is king

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TSX, NP, A-Frame? Kobe, Dirk, LeBron? Close your eyes and make a choice. It won't be wrong.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
300 with a 180 TSX works well.

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So does a 180 TSX in the '06.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi, Russ,

How're things going? Good to see you posting here.

John Barsness

Last edited by Mule Deer; 12/02/09.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If one stops and thinks about it the European bullets such as the tug tig torpedo and a bunch of others that we used back in the good old days of cup and core only bullets were far better than anything we had to offer Why?, because they blew the front section off inside an animal and the base made an exit hole!! The Europe boys still use those same bullets and they work today just like they did for us many years ago..The old screw gizzie Nolsers almost always blew the front section off..Todays nosler may blow the lead out but you still have petals and a big expanded bullet on the offside skin or a big exit hole..I have a number of these from buffalo and they killed buff like the hammer of clyde ( thor ticks Mule deer off smile smile )

I will suggest that in bullet making like most things there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Phil, when can I have that LP rifle? smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Hammer of Clyde! Can I use that one, Ray?

Actually it's not Thor that ticks me off, it's finding our that so many bullets, cartridges, etc. kil like the hammer of Thor, every dang time, but I have never been able to find any bullet, cartridge, etc. that does the same dang thing....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Muledeer,
Feel free to use clyde!

Like you, I believe that total repeatability is impossible to accomplish so the bullet companies come as close as possible and they do a great job for the most part. Our bullets today are so much better than the bullets I had to use early on in my life..Those old bullets usually failed to one degree or another, but they almost always killed the animal thank goodness, but an ocassional hard tracking job insued.

I love the Nosler partition bullet, it has worked for me exceptionally well..I can say the same about North Fork, Woodleighs and GS Customs and the old Remington round nose corelokt that usually won't shoot very good groups, but always performs on animals.

Every Swift I have recovered looked just like those pictured in one of the above posts, picture perfect, in fact they are TOO perfect, they are as smooth as a babys butt, they don't have that ragged flesh tearing arms tht you find with Woodleighs and Noslers and on ocassions they fail to leave a very good blood trail and don't kill quickly has been my experience, but I have never lost an animal because of this, just had to deal with the frusteration. The Swifts have been outstanding on big stuff like buffalo??

I reckon that's what makes a horse race, we pick our favorites and bet on them, otherwise all bullets, guns, dogs, horses, cars,clothes and females would looke alike! smile

Last edited by atkinson; 12/09/09.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.