Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bob257 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have any good recipes for cooking a neck roast in a crock pot??

Bob257
7mm fan!
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rub the roast liberally with olive oil, or even better, bacon grease (handles high temps better) In a HOT cast iron skillet, fry it fast and hot past the point of browning to almost slightly burnt. Let sit for ten minutes. Coat the roast in one packet of Schilling or McCormick Stew Seasoning. (Or lipton onion soup mix if you can't find the stew packets, add some rubbed sage, a pinch of cayenne, and a pinch of ground oregano)

Place roast in the bottom of the crock. Add one bottle of dark beer, (or a cup and a half of burgundy) three or four sliced cloves of garlic, 6-10 juniper berries, a tablespoon of Worcestershire, and a teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Fill the crock pot with water half way up the roast.

Set on low and leave the house for 6 hours.
Come home and bask in the glory.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should add, this is for a fairly good sized whitetail neck roast.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Aileinduinn---- ++++ on your Crock Pot Roast-- Sounds good. I tried a new sauce at camp this year that I put on the roast before the final roast--- Maggi Sauce--- Adds a little something to the roast. Web

Last edited by wldthg; 12/09/09.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Maggi sauce all the time for gravies and canning.
Great stuff.

Its also good in Bloody Marys and real Micheladas (beer, ice, lime juice, sea salt, hot sauce, and maggi)

Add some black pepper and a dot of Maggi into some caramelized onions for a patty melt and it takes them from common to absolutely divine.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yup-- Will do-- good stuff-- I added a hand full of dashes to my fried taters-- It went over big. Web

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Venison neck roasts have great flavor and terrific stew meat. One of my Dad and Grandfather's favorite to 'stew and pick' at camp over the decades.

I like to start with butter, handful of diced strong onions, diced celery, salt/pepper, parsley, a big splash of dry red wine, and a large spoonful of the beef stock paste from Costco (small white jar, great stuff for adding some strength/color to your broth). Add in the venison neck roasts, some diced potatoes (with the skin on) and some frozen peas or green beans with room temp water to cover everything.

This also works great for shoulders and the extra venison pieces that are slight in size.

Add some warm roles or serve in the hard crusty rolls hollowed out to make bowls out of the rolls.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.